Latitude 2013

Gingerbond

The whole relationship between Live Nation and Festival Republic seems a bit odd at the moment. Live Nation owns 51% of Festival Republic.

Latitude is very much Festival Republic's baby.

But Longitude has been set up by Live Nation without (as far as I can see) Festival Republic's involvement.

Longitude is going to anounce it's line-up three weeks before Latitude - so if there is any cross-over surely FR are going to be a little peed off????

Plus Live Nation now in talks to ressurect a festival in Guildford (ok miles away from Latitude) but on a weekend close if not identical. Not exactly competing directly but not far off (I abandoned GuilFest for Latitude some years ago).

All seems odd behaviour for a majority share-holder.

Have heard for a long time now that Live Nation were in severe financial danger (it lost £200M+ in 2010 and £70/80M in 2011 I believe) so maybe these are the death-throes. Certainly I can think of safer bets than starting festivals in Ireland and Guildford right now.

Oxegen and TITP were "sister" festivals. Line-ups were never identical because what might be big in Scotland might not be as big in Ireland (or vice versa) It's the same deal with Longitude and Latitude, they're "sisters".

Irish punters might be reluctant to fork out €200 (£175) for headliners like Paul Weller and Elbow, where as in England Weller and Elbow are deemed bigger acts (they are English after all).

I'd expect largely similar undercards and possibly even headliners, but Ireland will escape any kind of "exclusivity" contracts which could result in Longitude getting a bigger headline act. I'd also expect a lot more Irish acts on the undercard at Longitude (obviously)

It doesn't look like Longitude will be a camping festival, the location is quite metropolitan and venue isn't the biggest. Latitude will probably have a bigger undercard, can't see the Longitude venue holding as many stages at Latitude.

Anyways, my original point, Longitude line-up is announced tomorrow, so you'll probably have a good indication of what Latitude will shape up like tomorrow.

When 2 festivals are on the same weekend, so close to each other geographically, there will inevitably be a crossover in acts playing each festival. There will be big similarities in the line-ups.

I've heard rumours of Blur or Pulp playing Longitude, I can't see either playing Latitude due to "exclusivity" contracts tying them to other festivals in the UK. Other Longitude rumours are Kraftwerk, Atoms for Peace, Yeah Yeah Yeahs... These rumours are based on little other than ties to Latitude.

I personally think Blur will play Reading and Leeds in the UK and Electric Picnic in Ireland, they're on one weekend after another. Both are run by Festival Republic. The Cure played both last year.

Atoms For Peace playing Roundhouse, London 24th, 25th & 26th July, week after Latitude.
Atoms For Peace playing Roundhouse, London 24th, 25th & 26th July, week after Latitude.
No dates on the Fri or sat latitude yet... 49.50 face value for tickets is ridiculous. I hope they are playing latitude, would be cheaper!

No dates on the Fri or sat latitude yet... 49.50 face value for tickets is ridiculous. I hope they are playing latitude, would be cheaper!

It would mean going from Italy on the Wednesday to UK on the Friday, Germany on the Sunday then UK on the Wednesday. Far from impossible but you'd have thought if that was the plan they'd have pushed for playing Melt in Germany on the Friday then Latitute on the Sunday? I'm hopeful but not optimistic...