Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Just been to see Solo: A Star Wars Story. Honestly the most fun Star Wars since the original trilogy, and although a quite generic plot I thought it wasn't bad at all. Enjoyed it more than The Last Jedi (which was bogged down by awful plot points) and Rogue One (which I just didn't care for). Better than it had any right to be, really.

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Avengers 4 should start with a replay montage of the heroes fading away after the finger click of doom and the final part should be it happening to Stan Lee, his final cameo.

Stan Lee fading out like that would be an excellent last cameo............get on to Disney! ;) 

21 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Seems sort of... not in poor taste per se, but not really in the best taste. Pretty mawkish to posthumously give somebody a CGI on-screen demise imho.

Ordinarily I would probably agree with this but as we are talking the realm of fantasy and comic books and Lee being such a significant figure and influencer in that world I personally think it’s a lot more acceptable than it would ordinarily be. It’s a world of nods, Easter eggs, geekish thrills etc etc. His very enthusiastically performed cameos to date could even suggest that his personality would not only be down with such but would maybe love the idea.... i of course could be wrong but I do suspect Lee would get a kick out of it... However, if it did have potential to upset his family then it should 100% not happen.... 

Edited by ThomThomDrum

15 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Seems sort of... not in poor taste per se, but not really in the best taste. Pretty mawkish to posthumously give somebody a CGI on-screen demise imho.

I'm not sure it would even have to be a cgi version of him. I'm sure they'll have some footage they could use and apply the effect.

He's sort of an established part of the film universe, I think it would be a nice tribute.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched 

A star is born  Bradley cooper and Lady gaga 

The film is based around a singer who basically falls in love with a girl who the fuck can sing anyway I know that Bradley cooper spent time with Eddie Vedder... Who said not to make the film... Silly bugger 

The films great and the tunes are fantastic and there's a little bit of Glastonbury in there as well.. 

Great film.. 

I'd also like to say that American hustle is well worth a watch.. 

I'm no film buff apart from scooby doo with my baby Ruby but found time for these this week so thought it was worth a mention 

Some of the films i've seen recently (some old, some newer);

A Quiet Place - despite some plot holes, excellent & very tense sci fi/horror

Arrival - Highly recommend this sci-fi, Amy Adams in particular is brilliant.

eXistenZ - 90s Cronenberg film, was ok with some typically gooey and weird bits, but not his best

Nina Forever - Cool concept (dead girl friend stalks boyfriend at shall we say inconvenient moments as he attempts to move on with a new girl), dealing with grief, relationships among other things , first two thirds was great, but tailed off towards the end. 

Halloween original - Had only seen this once before about 10 - 12 years ago, and is still a classic with scary/tense moments despite being rehashed hundreds of times since!

Edited by Tyonks
Should probably mention, i'm a big fan of horror films....

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, pryce said:

Watched Goonies for the first time...not what I expected but very enjoyable, got shouted at by the girlfriend for never seeing it

I've never seen it, got loads on my list still. I wrote down a bunch off the top 100 on IMDB.

Off the top of my head I know that Schindler's list is one I need to see. I'll try find my notepad with the others on.

1 hour ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I've never seen it, got loads on my list still. I wrote down a bunch off the top 100 on IMDB.

Off the top of my head I know that Schindler's list is one I need to see. I'll try find my notepad with the others on.

I do find watching films on the best ever lists can be a mixed bag as seeing the likes of Citizen Kane or The Shining when they have been so heavily parodied you know the big scenes already it and ends being like when you get the punchline of a joke the day after you heard it.

Speaking of those best ever films I've been wanting to watch the new Blade Runner film for months but my girlfriend insists on watching it with me and watching the first beforehand as she can't remember the original. So last night we watched the 1st one after months of her going it's too long/not in the mood/must watch it with me she ends up spending most of the time playing about on her phone. After it finished I asked what she thought and basically she wants to watch it again and she missed most of it and we can't watch the new one yet. I never gonna be able to watch the new Blade Runner!

36 minutes ago, jump said:

I never gonna be able to watch the new Blade Runner!

Have you tried putting the lights down like when you go to the pictures and if electronic devices aren't put away either sitting staring impatiently before you hit play or starting an argument about it?

Edited by clarkete

On 11/15/2018 at 1:28 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

I'm not sure it would even have to be a cgi version of him. I'm sure they'll have some footage they could use and apply the effect.

He's sort of an established part of the film universe, I think it would be a nice tribute.

RE - this Stan Lee Cameo idea, just watched the new animated Spiderman and that one really choked me up, top class.

4 hours ago, jump said:

I do find watching films on the best ever lists can be a mixed bag as seeing the likes of Citizen Kane or The Shining when they have been so heavily parodied you know the big scenes already it and ends being like when you get the punchline of a joke the day after you heard it.

2001 was like that for me.  There was barely a scene where I didn't already feel like I'd seen it before

10 hours ago, clarkete said:

Have you tried putting the lights down like when you go to the pictures and if electronic devices aren't put away either sitting staring impatiently before you hit play or starting an argument about it?

My solution is to now watch Blade Runner 2 when she's not about and just not tell her.

• 1 month later...