The Walking Dead

luckysalt

Must remember to unspoiler these when it's been on over here!

perfectly how? Another series of the prison versus the governor? Essentially in 3 series they are no further forward either physically/location-wise or in the plot than they were at the beginning!

I'd really like to see more of what's going on in the wider world - we only got glimpses this series but there's clearly some infrastructure left out there, so why not explore that a bit more?

We don't know that all of S4 will be at the prison. We just have to wait and see. I'm just happy The Governor is sticking around for another season, One of my favourite TV characters. I don't think the concept of the show is for them to ever be better than they were at the beginning. The show is always going to about the struggle for survival.

As I say what else were people expecting for an ending? Seen alot of negative replies but nobody has mentioned how they would have wrote the ending for the finale. Only so much you can do in 40 minutes.

Fully agree about the wider world. Hopefully we get to see more

Im gunna spoiler tag.

Im not sure what direction people are wanting from The Walking Dead on here and also Im not sure who is a reader of the comics or not, for me I am an avid reader of them and I love the differences that the TV show is taking, The Walking Dead is always going to be a simple show, it is just going to focus on the core group of survivors and their world, its not going to span across the globe, its not going to show why this has happened or even lean towards an purpose or goal, its just about the core group and their survival, yes you could focus on them finding food, supplies etc, but would you not get bored seeing that week in week out, I myself think that the Governor has been done very well, the story has changed from the comics yet his core character is in tact, Andrea has completely been different and yes has been a disappointment, but she is gone now and the way she went was well done, it tied up her annoying ways nicely, she really was just trying to save everyone. Michonne is a character who is clearly going to be around for a long time, her character took A LONG time to form in the comics and thus so far she is too on TV, I think she's being excellently done.

The thing for me is this season has been slightly dull due to the fact I thought I knew where it was all going and it got muddied along with the whole Andrea/Governer storyline which seemed pointlessly tacted on because I thought I knew where the show was headed, the thing is now, it has gone in a COMPLETELY different direction, Andrea is still alive in the comics YEARS after the prison in terms of TV we are probably on season 10, 12 maybe even 15, yet now she is gone, the town of woodbury slaughted by the Gov and the others joined the prison group, this didn't happen in the comic, it was WHAM done, prison arc over, I think for me this is Kirkman looking at his work and going ok this worked and this maybe I'll do different, he's going a different direction which makes the TV show for me that much better, some people will want a carbon copy of the comics put out on TV, I welcome the direction of the show, I think it makes it all that more interesting.

The main thing with the Walking Dead is you should never know whats coming, in the comics lead characters die at the drop of a hat because this world is dangerous, you never know who you're going to meet, whats happening next or who will survive, the TV has this going for it too now, characters have died differently and the story has taken a swerve, it makes for me great viewing, I love the development of Carl, and ultimately in the comics he is becoming the main character alongside Rick and clearly its happening here too, I think with Andrea gone, you'll see more of Michonne now, not that I didn't think she was introduced brilliantly this season, If you're falling out of love with this show, read the comics, and if you've already read them read them again, and also read interviews and comments from Kirkman, it helps you understand his vision for his world, you're never going to find out what happened and its never going to reach some big conclusion, its just how characters interact with each other and how this world has changed them and how they survive and for me, they're doing that really, really well

"yes you could focus on them finding food, supplies etc, but would you not get bored seeing that week in week out"

Isn't that essentially what happened in most episodes in the second half of this series, bar a couple of run ins with the governor? To make it interesting I think they'll need to move on, which is where the wider world comes into it. Don't get me wrong, we'll keep watching, but in the early episodes I had to put down my crochet as I was so engrossed and now I just crochet straight through 'em ;) so could do with it picking up a bit!

I thought the final two episodes were fantastic. So here are my two cents.

Given that there is going to me another season you need to consider how the show will progress. It could never go along with the comics. They have gone on longer than any tv season normally would ever have a hope at doing. So they have changed and adapted the story for the tv format. You could then argue the merits in ending it all this season if they hadn't slowed the pace down to a crawl mid season. They could have done this justice easily. However considering the amount of fans for the comic and tv show they would never end it after only 3 seasons. Plenty of people want to see more from these characters.

Now, with another season in the works, I think they finished season 3 off brilliantly. The Governor is too compelling a character to be killed off early in a tv show where you are never more than half a season away from being cancelled if viewing figures dwindle. I think viewers might struggle to accept the introduction of another threat to the survival of the group that is in the same league as the Governor so soon to his demise.

In the last 2 episodes they upped the pace of an admittedly slow period for the show. Although without character development people would switch off and you would have missed out on some of the more dramatic and emotional moments of the show. They could however have done a better job at finding the middle ground between character development and story progression.

I think they did a great job in the finale at satisfying both sides. The bloodlust of the Governor on his people and the brutal the death of some fairly big characters (Merle, Andrea and Milton) at his hands, balanced well with the survival of the rest of Woodbury and their incorporation into the group. A group of people trying their hardest to tread the line of humanity in the world they now live and the internal conflict that can produce.

I thought the redemption of Merle was coming miles off but was done well and the relationship with Carl and rick is developing (deteriorating) nicely. I look forward to where they take the Governor storyline now as he is probably the best character in the show. They will do well to finish the show in a fashion that satisfies all sets of fans, as many big budget american shows do. Season 3 still provided some of the most enjoyable moments on tv for me in the past 6 months, so I will definitely be watching more.

Edited by Jaybles

Some nice pieces above lads.

Says something about any show where spoilers are used and respected as much.

I'm just of a different opinion. Maybe I'm being a little too loyal to the book or expecting it to be followed too literally.

So what direction do you think series 4 is gonna go?

Personally I think that,

I 100% believe that the next series will feature Abraham Ford, mixed with the story of Tyreese and his death. I think Abraham was a citizen of woodbury, and has been transported to the prison. We were not shown many woodbury citizens in the series finale so they could easily add him in. It has also be reported that they are searching for a character called Roy Stark, which might be a cover name for Abraham as the character they are looking for fits the bill. I hope they flesh out Tyreese's character abit more though in series 4, he still isn't Ricks right hand man yet! Then again they may not want him to be, and Daryl is instead that character! Possible deaths next series, I believe the Governor will return and kill Hershel, and I believe that Maggie is pregnant. I also believe the girl who survived the governors killing rampage is Lilly Caul, who will later in series 4 kill the governor.

I did spoiler tag this, but I'm gonna warn again some of the stuff i'm discussing is pretty heavy!

Read at your own risk!

Edited by MrIdioteque

spoiler response to Idioteque

Some good thinking there mate, but I don't agree with you on many points.

I feel its too early to bring in Abraham, they're developing Tyreese and Michonne as well as Glenn, Maggie and Carl's developing characters plus Daryl and Rick ongoing and also Carol and yeah Karen has now joined the group, it would be too much to introduce Abraham, he was a HUGE fan favourite in the comics, the timing just isn't right.
Plus Abraham is a character that helped lead them away from the Prison [well the farm after the prison, but obviously they won't be returning to the farm] and the next season will be in the prison again, maybe season 5 will be right for Abraham.
Touching on Jaybles, TWD ratings are through the roof and I think they will maintain decent enough ratings for AMC to not even consider dropping the show, even if ratings fall, I mean they got 12.4 million for episode 16 of Season 3, their highest ever, I think TWD could fall to half that and they still wouldn't cancel it. The trick is with TV agreeing ongoing contracts with actors, because if Andrew Lincoin wanted out that would be a problem, maybe Daryl as a character could hold up the show alone but im not sure, anyway Kirkman has suggested the show will be going at least 7 seasons, so I believe they roughly have this planned out in terms of what the basic outline for the story development longterm will be.
Going back to Idioteque, I don't think Maggie will be pregnant, its too soon after Lori going through it, I do think Glenn and Maggie will get married in the next season and then the Governor will attack afterwards and kill Hershel, or Hershel will die in some form straight after or just before the wedding.
I also think Judith will be killed off probably at the end of Season, Interesting that you say Karen could be Lilly, COMIC SPOILERS - but I don't think that could work as Lilly arrives with the Governor and shoots Lori who falls on Judith and kills her and in finding this out Lilly turns and kills the Governor, I don't think this will happen, it doesn't make sense. Governor only has two troops left now, will he gain more support and if so how? Its interesting how they go about killing off Judith, I think they have to because she's already become a background character and something that will be hard to work with going forward, it just is too hard to write the show going forward with the baby always in arms, unless someone leaves the group and Rick asks them to take care of Judith for him, but I can't see that happening. Thinking about it I think the Governor will kill Judith at the end of Season 4 part one, leaving Rick with unreal bloodlust to kill the Governor as right now it kinda has closure, but the Governor will discover Rick has a daughter and will want to take her from him like he lost his daughter he believes due to Ricks group.

Mr Kirkman himself has already spoken out on where season 4 is heading

The following is a write up taken from Daily Dead, who are covering an interview from IGN...
Along with new showrunner Scott M. Gimple, Robert Kirkman is at the center of The Walking Dead Season 4′s development and knows the plan for the upcoming season. There are definitely a lot of questions about where the show is headed after last Sunday’s finale, and Kirkman discussed what we can look forward to in the fourth season during a recent interview.
As mentioned recently, David Morrissey is back as a series regular in the fourth season. Here’s what Robert Kirkman told IGN about The Governor: “Yeah, he’s still very much in the mix. That’s certainly not the last that we’ll see of him. When we see him again and where we see him again, that’s the big question. It’s not going to be like it was in Season 3; it’s not going to be Rick and the Governor on a collision course with a conflict between them. He’ll be used in very different ways next season.”
We’ll see a different Carl and Rick in Season 4: “Rick has had a success. The people at the prison have survived this conflict with the Governor, he brought people from Woodbury into the prison, and he’s kind of had this big win. He’s had this moment where he’s brought people together and he’s doing good things. But he’s had this tremendous loss in that Carl has lost this piece of his humanity. This has been Rick’s main mission throughout the show, to protect his family. We’ve seen two very big failures on that front this season.
Moving into next season, we’re going to see a very different Rick, but one of his main goals is to manage this situation with Carl and see if he can bring him back from this darkness that’s crept into him. Whether or not he’s able to do that, we’ll have to see. But this is a big change in the character of Carl, but it’s something that’s going to be weighing heavily on Rick next season.”
Although it seemed very likely, Robert Kirkman confirmed that the new season will take place at the prison once again: “I’ll say that there are a lot of familiar elements that are remaining. Michonne is still around, Rick and his group are still in the prison, the Governor’s still out there… so there are a lot of things that are carrying over from Season 3 to Season 4, but I can’t stress how different things are going to be.
There are going to be some radical changes to those elements that are going to bring in a lot of new storytelling. While [season 4] does seem somewhat familiar, it’s going to be vastly different from Season 3.”

Edited by luckysalt

Also for the comic book readers out there, issue 109 is out a week today...

Spoiler doesn't spoil anything for readers up to date with the comics.

It has Maggie and Sophie mourning over Glenns grave as the cover art, I hope its not focused on this the whole issue as that will be pretty dull, Maggie has never been a character i've been very fond of to be honest. I am loving Negan though and the cover art to issue 111 which is out June 12th has been released. See it in the next spoiler.

Tagline is Lucille is going to be so jealous. OOOOH who's he killed? I reckon its Dwight. By the way loving Ezekiel and the idea of a kingdom with Knights etc.

The-Walking-Dead-111-Cover.jpg

Just watched the S3 finale this weeked...so, so good!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So they announced yesterday that The Walking Dead is getting a spin off TV show which will be all new characters and not based on anything from the comics, which Kirkman says he wants to do, make a TV show where he can write it from scratch and not follow the comic storyline.

Hmmm not sure what to think about this....

On the one hand it could be great TV, on the other hand it could be a piece of crap and also take time away from making the original TV show and more importantly the comics as good as they are.

Kirkman sure likes to keep busy.

• 3 weeks later...