20 years of eFestivals

Pinhead

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: - next year won't be 20 years of efestivals - that will be in 2020.

But it will be 20 years since the first website that evolved into efestivals existed.

First was at:http://www.cix.co.uk/~nrgreenway/glastonbury (about Feb 1998).
Then it was: http://www.glastonbury-festival.co.uk (from 10th June 1998, the domain history tells me).
Then efestivals (from 17th Jan 2000, the domain history tells me).

As it happened, the guy who funded the purchase of the glastonbury-festival.co.uk domain (£200 back then, more than I had spare at the time) was at the glasto meet this year, and that was about the first time I'd seen him in ten years (tho we 're in contact by email).

I'd like to pretend that the first site was a BBS typically accessed with a 9600 baud modem :) I remember the 1998 site was of the 'tree hierarchy' type with an eFests wallpaper behind it. One of the gifs is still on the current site somewhere as well - the 'Tor with sun rising behind' one I think.

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I'd like to pretend that the first site was a BBS typically accessed with a 9600 baud modem :)

might have been 14400 baud by then.

I remember the 1998 site was of the 'tree hierarchy' type with an eFests wallpaper behind it.

Yep, it was one of the few free bits of BBS software, written by a guy (I forget the name) who had a big rep back then, but which had some serious bugs in it. In particular circumstances it could get itself into an endless loop, and that had the peeps at the web-serving place take the whole site offline on a few occasions.

One of the gifs is still on the current site somewhere as well - the 'Tor with sun rising behind' one I think.

yeah, this one - which was the website header.

gfbanner.gif

It's not quite how it was originally, but it's mostly the same.

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

When did the dancing man first make an appearance?

he was used as a (static) background image for the line-up page (I'm guessing 1999 festival) for that old glastonbury-festival.co.uk site. I used it just because i spotted it in a book of clip-art and liked it, so decided to use it.

There was no plan to use the dancing man on efestivals. I tried to create something which represented 'music, stages, people, outside' and hated everything I tried. Then a mate (the same one who did that image just above) said he'd do the dancing man dancing for me, but then he rushed it and it was awful too ... so i had a go, and came up with how he dances now.

edit: that has to be wrong, as there's the dancing man used on the old site in late 1999, so i must have created him dancing before efestivals.

Edited by eFestivals

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Whilst it's true that eFestivals first started its website in 1998, what a lot of people don't know is that its true origins stretch back much farther. It's an interesting story for those who'd care to listen.

In the autumn days of 1970, following a successful pop festival in Pilton, Sommerset, a group of festival-going nerds began to meet periodically in a Barnsley church hall....

Agenda item 1: It's not as good as it used to be

Quote - our fearless leader, December 2004

i think Coldplay won't play Glasto ... it seems almost certain that they signed up for V 2005 back in the summer, and the only reason I can think of as to why V would have signed them up so early would be to have ensured they got an exclusive.

(many years - including 2004 - V appears to have been in a last minute struggle with other festivals to sign up certain bands as headliners ... an early sign-up would remove this difficulty)

Coldplay, beating Neil's predictions for 13 years!

I'm similar - think I am maybe on my second or third incarnation on here, and yes generally was due to change of email.

Although I was historically much more of a lurker than a poster, this all changed with the "Glastocam" thread of course :P

58 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

not sure if it's the case with him, but the normal reason is because someone has forgotten their password and no longer has access to the email addy used for the account - so the password can't be retrieved.

That's what happened to dingbat many years ago! Registered to an old freeserve email address which got closed down because I hadn't used it for a long time. RIP dingbat