Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2015 (my first) was always going to be hard to beat and I knew even as I paid the balance of my ticket my for 2016 that it was going to be very different festival experience.  Me and my other half loved going to festivals, music was our thing. We got tickets for 2016 in October but by the time the April came round we had split up...so I was close to not going.

However I went, I had a good time, but a long with the mud making it a very different experience I was already in a very different place emotionally. That and third wheeling with a couple all weekend :/ I was very, very drunk a lot of the time as a coping mechanism and I can't even remember seeing a lot of the acts I was looking forward to.

So if I manage to get 2017 tickets then I think I may call it a trilogy and round off my Glastonbury times there.

However, I loved Chvrches and I cried at them so that was nice haha

The Bad:

We made the mistake of camping at Bushy Ground. The field was ok but getting there from any stage was a nightmare. You either had to go all around Dairy Ground or go through muddy, packed with people Silver Hayes. Never again.

8 hour bus trip from London.

5 full days of sticky mud or slippery mud on a recently badly sprained ankle.

Mud/Rain makes all the non musical great things about Glastonbury a little harder to enjoy.

The Good:

Best musical Glastonbury for me: LCD, Sigur Ros and Grimes being some of the best shows I've attended. 

It's Glastonbury.

I've been to 3 (13, 14 and 16). Probably 2013 being the best one because it was the first one and the weather was amazing. 

I'll try for tickets on Thursday of course.

same as me we camped in pylon this year and id like a change next year as it was going through silver hayes everyday to get to stuff that was where the mud was worst and also most of the trouble happened with idiots pushing around on the paths bringing bad vibes into things etc id be quite happy if I never set foot in that part of the site again in 2017, so may try completely the other end.  Not my musical taste anyway but the whole area itself just has a bad atmosphere....I wouldnt miss it! 

Worst I've done for a variety of reasons - first and foremost I wasn't in a good place at all going. It was at the tail end of a shit storm of a year where I'd lost my job and came out of a long term relationship. I'd invested so much thought into the idea on the build up to Glastonbury that year of it 'cheering me up' I set myself up to fail. 

I'd originally planned on proposing at the festival on the first day there before the split - that, on top of the horrific Bristol-Pilton delay spoiled that day for me and I caned the drugs and booze even more so than usual as a result. I can remember very little of my actual time there so totally ruined it for myself. The weather etc just added to it all. There were a couple of highlights - LCD, Ronnie Spector etc but it's not one I want to particularly look back on with fondness. 

Always next year though!

Edited by MichaelsBeard

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

it's the french version of (optional) sausage and mash :P

You'll find one of them on the main drag in West Holts, right on the corner where it opens out towards the stage. There's another one somewhere on site too, tho I can'#t remember where.

Well that sounds fairly underwhelming! 

I found it far more tiring than usual - just ploughing through the mud, and even standing still seemed hard work at times. But there were the good times - ZZ Top followed by Ronnie Spector, a few gems in the smaller tents, and Sigur Ros in the new improved JP tent.

I thought ELO were a bit of a let down - note perfect, smooth as you like, but absolutely zero personality. Pity.

I've definitely had better years, but will I be trying to go again - of course!

Spent a lot of time at the spike area after dark this year underneath the glitter ball because it wasn't overly packed and it was away from the mud. Met some great people as well. And also more time up at the park area,loved that real ale bar right at the very top not far from the glasto sign.

I think when it's muddy I tend to find somewhere and stay there rather than wander round. Yes enjoyed it very much,but because of the mud I wouldn't say it was my favourite year because I missed loads of stuff I wanted to see,couldn't be arsed!

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

same as me we camped in pylon this year and id like a change next year as it was going through silver hayes everyday to get to stuff that was where the mud was worst and also most of the trouble happened with idiots pushing around on the paths bringing bad vibes into things etc id be quite happy if I never set foot in that part of the site again in 2017, so may try completely the other end.  Not my musical taste anyway but the whole area itself just has a bad atmosphere....I wouldnt miss it! 

Yep. Absolutely. I never went through Silver Hayes in 2014, but being camped at Bushy, we had to go through it several times a day. Worst area of the festival.

2 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

We were the next field up in Darble and I mostly used the top path towards JPT to get into the main drag, rather than through Silver hayes, which was about the worst part of the site (I never made it to the SE corner though, so no clue if that was worse). 

2015 the route through SH was favourite, but the addition of the woods and relocation of JPT makes getting around a bit easier for campers in that corner.  The path between hospitality and disabled was not bad throughout the week, a few times it got a bit chewed up but nothing on the scale of SH.

In a way it is good to have got a proper muddy one under the belt.  I realise that I'd been spoiled before and therefore will better appreciate the blazing sunshine and baked ground we will enjoy in 2017.

4 hours ago, MichaelsBeard said:

Worst I've done for a variety of reasons - first and foremost I wasn't in a good place at all going. It was at the tail end of a shit storm of a year where I'd lost my job and came out of a long term relationship. I'd invested so much thought into the idea on the build up to Glastonbury that year of it 'cheering me up' I set myself up to fail. 

I'd originally planned on proposing at the festival on the first day there before the split - that, on top of the horrific Bristol-Pilton delay spoiled that day for me and I caned the drugs and booze even more so than usual as a result. I can remember very little of my actual time there so totally ruined it for myself. The weather etc just added to it all. There were a couple of highlights - LCD, Ronnie Spector etc but it's not one I want to particularly look back on with fondness. 

Always next year though!

Other people's car park or wellies problems pale into insignificance considering the pain you were suffering !

Hope you are ok ?

Loved it, favourite of my four.

The universe threw us all sorts of mischief, mud, rain, B****t, shite headliners, and despite all that I had a great time all the way through. Just felt like the best place to be while the world fell to shit outside. Got pissed among great company for 5 days, watched some brilliant bands, topped it all off with LCD Soundsystem on the last night. I've never felt so sad to leave or so determined to get tickets for the next year.

In a similar vein to the comments about Le Grande Bouffe, I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk multiple down votes and wide spread vilification, but the Goan Fish Curry... when I had it it wasn't that, well, amazing. I'd heard all the rave reviews... but it was a bit try and tasteless. There were however extenuating circumstances, me and the wife noticed our servings were more or less the last two in the pot, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

The best food on site and definitly best for hangovers has been the dorset blue soup company. Massive bowl of blue cheese and mushroom soup with a wedge of bread the size of half a loaf! 

They werent there last year, maybe thats why it only got a 7/10 for me? haha hopefully theyll be back for 2017

I guess the Dorset Blue Soup Company do well in wet years but not so good in hot years . 

Regarding hangovers , years ago on the Sunday morning I was feeling miserable due to come downs etc.  Around the markets just bimbling on my own  not knowing what to do I went into my bag and found some left over wiz.  I went to the shake stall , got a nice cold Crunchie Milk Shake , poured the magic powder on and not long after I was heading to the Glade giving myself a telling off for being so miserable at Glastonbury

I remember that soup place.

I took far too much speed a few years ago and felt like a colossal dog turd the next day - only thing I could stomach was soup - was so glad for that stall. Soup and half a loaf for like £4 and it was bloody lovely.

16 hours ago, Spindles said:

In a way it is good to have got a proper muddy one under the belt.  I realise that I'd been spoiled before and therefore will better appreciate the blazing sunshine and baked ground we will enjoy in 2017.

Completely agree. In 2017 I will be RUNNING to see an act that will definitely be on at Circus Central or A Little More Sensation. 

It was my second and a real mixed bag. 

Horrific 14 hour journey from Leeds, missed most of Wednesday. It was wetter and muddier than 2015. Line up not as good for me either. 

However, I was in much better shape so coped well with conditions, had 3 separate groups of friends giving me more freedom. Also we camped in Pylon, close to Gate A due to bad conditions and late arrival. Turned out to be a great spot with nice toilets, easy to find and a cafe close. 

Thursday was spend round circus/cabaret area trying out any activity on offer.I then watched the sun set on the hill, made new friends at the cider bus, ate good food, danced like a fool, laughed til I cried and then cried like a baby on and off for the rest of the weekend (Paul Carrack & Adele got me). I knew my way around and really got lost in the experience in a way I didn't first time round. 

Summary: Physically tough, worth every penny

Edited by Heather90