Glastonbury 2016 - In Retrospect

CaledonianGonzo

45 minutes ago, Purple aki squat said:

Did it rain on the Friday?

i remember a bit on the Sunday but apart from that nothing during the day. The site got so churned up on the Wednesday it never really recovered.

Honestly couldn't give a shit what the weather does, just want a ticket 

Yeah it hammered it down for a period in the afternoon. I was in The Astrolabe at the time watching Marcus Du Sautoy then watched the Steve Frost Improv Allstars and it was pissing it down during both of those sets. Judging by the set times the rain was from half 2 till about 4ish.

Edited by BlackHole2006

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Yeah it hammered it down for a period in the afternoon. I was in The Astrolabe at the time watching Marcus Du Sautoy then watched the Steve Frost Improv Allstars and it was pissing out down during both of those sets. Judging by the set times the rain was from half 2 till about 4ish.

Must have been more fucked than I thought. I only took my coat out on the Sunday cos it looked a bit dodgy. Saturday I don't recall at all

it absolutely lashed down during the Ukranian caterwauling on Friday

Saturday morning, it was looking much better. As I walked up through Kidney Mead to see a bit of Skepta, the ground was almost dry, it had become bouncy again, like the whole site was one big Nike Air Max. Then it fucked hoyed down and it all went to shit. And stayed that way.

My recollection of the weather was it definitely wasn't that bad, but the rain always lasted just long enough and was always sufficiently timed to keep the site in an absolute state, it never lasted long but it always came just when there was a sliver of a chance the site might start to dry, just a little bit. In a way it would've been better if the rain had lasted longer because it would've been slushy mud which is easy to walk through rather than sticky mud which is not.

This year was my 12th & I would say 2016 was in the top half for me. It's funny because I went in 2014 after a 4 year gap & really struggled that year, so because of that going back this year I was determined to have a good one! 

The company i was with this year helped & we just had some fantastic Glasto moments - even before we'd even arrived!

Putting our tents up at midnight on weds was fun whilst downing the first drinks of the weekend. Thursday I don't remember too much but had a great eve watching Mr E do karaoke followed by Mr B the gentleman rhymer - now our official opening act of the festival!

The rest of the weekend seems to merge together but the stand out for me were Underworld - one of the best sets I've ever seen in all my time at Glasto. The crowd was so up for it, we really went for it & I spent the rest of the weekend recovering from it!

The mud was there, but no way was that getting the better of me this year. I felt like a broken man come Monday but very very happy too. Unlike 2014, from the moment I left I had no doubt I wanted to go back this year - so thank god I got lucky on thurs eve! Bring on 2017!!

14 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

Almost had a meltdown after arriving 19 hours after leaving home, but tent was up and kit was dumped. Valuables put in lockup and the party commenced. 2016 was the best year for me yet. Partly due to the line up, mainly to do with the company. For all I missed my regular Glasto buddies (they didn't get tickets) I had an amazing time with the one newbie I took. Not once did she moan. She loved it as much as I did. I saw more this year than any other. She was brilliant. I had so many 'Glastonbury moments', so overwhelming. At one point the cameras caught me with a tissue. We walked 81.49 miles in the mud. We giggled, danced and sang our way through it. We kicked Glastonburys butt!! The mud is just the mud. It's just part of it, tho I felt for those at Bath and Showground. I would love a repeat of this year!! Great thread by the way!! Brings back fantastic memories x

Lovely post CG, just made me have a happy cry. 
Charm x

• 3 weeks later...

I was a little 'let down ' when I was there this year and didn't have the best time, for various reasons. Had to take myself off for a good talking too 

But last weekend spent 5 hours on an Emirates flight watching highlights on the in flight entertainment and actaully cried a few times, just magical, seeing the crowd shots, people randomly dancing, everyone smiling , the love for Glastonbury came flooding back :-)

there will bells on next year and determined to make the most of every moment 

On 10/8/2016 at 2:44 PM, Charm said:

Think you meant to reply to another one of my posts :), sadly I'm not a t shirt wearer and don't think they really go with my look anyway. 
Charm x

Whereas I am a t-shirt obsessive, very particular about them, and today received my extremely limited Lost Vagueness t-shirt as my pledge reward from the makers of the impending Lost In The Festival film. It's lovely. Just need to set about washing it from black to a nice very dark grey between now and June. I'm already planning on which all-nighter to wear it. Given that LV was the predecessor of Shangri La, it'll have to be one of the ones I spend in the SEC!

Ben

21 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Whereas I am a t-shirt obsessive, very particular about them, and today received my extremely limited Lost Vagueness t-shirt as my pledge reward from the makers of the impending Lost In The Festival film. It's lovely. Just need to set about washing it from black to a nice very dark grey between now and June. I'm already planning on which all-nighter to wear it. Given that LV was the predecessor of Shangri La, it'll have to be one of the ones I spend in the SEC!

Ben

I'm sure your t shirts are wonderful but I'm more of a sparkly leggings person, have quite a collection and they do love a trip to Glastonbury. 
Charm x

I was a newbie this year so nothing to compare it with I persuaded my wife to come along with despite it not being her cup of tea . Im in my 50s and I can say I've done a lot of great stuff but this was way way up there I absolutely loved it so much so that I am beyond excited to be going again.I filled up when James started as I love them and I thought it's happening I'm at glastonbury and I'm watching live music. My wife was ace embraced the experience totally . It wasn't the only time I filled up. May not have been vintage for regulars but it was for me fantastic. 

1 hour ago, crocodiles said:

I was a newbie this year so nothing to compare it with I persuaded my wife to come along with despite it not being her cup of tea . Im in my 50s and I can say I've done a lot of great stuff but this was way way up there I absolutely loved it so much so that I am beyond excited to be going again.I filled up when James started as I love them and I thought it's happening I'm at glastonbury and I'm watching live music. My wife was ace embraced the experience totally . It wasn't the only time I filled up. May not have been vintage for regulars but it was for me fantastic. 

I have no more upvotes, Sir, but great post, great post.