Headliner predictions 2017

swede

7 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

Ed and the Foo's aren't my cup of tea, but you can't argue with their booking. It's a very strong set of headliners. The only slight complaint would be are the Foo's worthy of closing the festival? I would imagine they're there by default because The Radioheads asked to do the Friday so they could enjoy the rest of the weekend on the farm. 

there'll be the refrain of Best Of You echoing through the car park throughout Monday morning, do not be afraid 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

The only slight complaint would be are the Foo's worthy of closing the festival? I would imagine they're there by default because The Radioheads asked to do the Friday so they could enjoy the rest of the weekend on the farm. 

Worthy of closing the festival? I guess that depends on whether you like them or not, but I don't see too much of a problem with them drawing a big crowd who will undoubtedly have a good time.

10 minutes ago, elias said:

Worthy of closing the festival? I guess that depends on whether you like them or not, but I don't see too much of a problem with them drawing a big crowd who will undoubtedly have a good time.

Not necessarily. I don't like Coldplay either but putting aside the repeat bookings arguement, they're an ideal closing headliner. Are the Foo Fighters really on that level? I don't think so. 

Edited by The Orgazoid

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You could make that argument on the basis that his music is terrible.  I wouldn't do that of course, but it's certainly possible to argue that any act isn't a good booking if you really believe they're awful.  Popularity shouldn't always trump all other considerations.

You summed up my feelings succinctly here. Lots of comments on here along the lines of "a good booking, but I won't be there" "solid booking" etc. etc. A lot of people seem to be defining a  "good booking" by popularity, and not by the fact that artistically they may be pure shite.

Edited by ericlered

1 minute ago, ericlered said:

You summed up my feelings succinctly here. Lots of comments on here along the lines of "a good booking, but I won't be there" "solid booking" etc. etc. A lot of people defining "good" by popularity, and not by the fact that artistically they are pure shite.

Thats the best reaction that any booking can reasonably expect to get, though. No booking ever makes everyone happy.

5 minutes ago, ericlered said:

You summed up my feelings succinctly here. Lots of comments on here along the lines of "a good booking, but I won't be there" "solid booking" etc. etc. A lot of people seem to be defining a  "good booking" by popularity, and not by the facts that artistically they may be pure shite.

because that's subjective innit. He's clearly not 'too shit for Glastonbury', having been booked multiple times, and he'll be the most popular act on the bill, ergo  - other than people's personal dislike of his music, which half the festival will probably disagree with anyway, judging by his 2014 crowd - there's no reason he shouldn't headline. Not like there's a risk he'll encourage morons to apply for tickets for next year either like there was with Kasabian, he doesn't appeal to the wee-throwing brigade 

Edited by Zac Quinn

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

kasabian headlined on the sunday didnt they? If toss pots like them can close the festival, anyone can.

See also: mumfords

Mumfords were huge at the time though weren't they? I actually like Kasabian. Recent output hasn't been great but they put on a good live show. Although I don't think they were, or ever will be the right shout to close the festival. 

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup and yup. It's a strong headlining trio, more so than many other years.

There's something for all of the festival's demographics innit. 'Credible music fans' have their night on Friday, 'teenage girls' and 'Heart FM mums' on Saturday, 'good old fashioned rock and roll lads' on Sunday. Obviously those demos are more fluid than that and within them there'll be people personally uninterested in the acts 'for them' for whatever reason, but overall it's the best mix since probably 2010

Edited by Zac Quinn

11 minutes ago, The Orgazoid said:

Mumfords were huge at the time though weren't they? I actually like Kasabian. Recent output hasn't been great but they put on a good live show. Although I don't think they were, or ever will be the right shout to close the festival. 

Ed is huge now, like Mumfords were then.

I've never understood the criteria for a band to 'close' the festival.  It seems to be a relatively recent concept.  Does it actually matter?

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well yes, but that's never going to be unanimous.  Depending on what else is on I probably won't go to see Radiohead, but I still think it's a good booking.

Fair enough, but if you thought they were completely shit then you could make the argument that they're a bad booking.

What got me riled was the suggestion that it's impossible to argue against an act on artistic merit, as if sales are the only thing that matter. As for Ed's actual booking - meh, it's a big site - I'm sure I'll be having fun somewhere.

We're all a bit too fucking tolerant of beige these days.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Artistic merit cant be the only factor either, though - and given that it's subjective then using it as your only criterion is a fast track to tanking the festival.

Popularity is a bit more objective, so it just has to be factored in.

Absolutely, they all matter.  A pyramid headliner normally does pretty well in all of them.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sheeran's vast popularity isn't based on his looks - I assume - so it's got to be the music. 

Even if it isn't for me, it's got to have something about it that connects in a wide way.  It's relatively well reviewed, isn't it?

It's a pretty passionless way of looking at it though.  Always reminds me of the "Kitten Stomper" argument.  "I don't like them, but I'm not the target audience".  

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sheeran's vast popularity isn't based on his looks - I assume - so it's got to be the music. 

Even if it isn't for me, it's got to have something about it that connects in a wide way.  It's relatively well reviewed, isn't it?

Not really. But hes toured worldwide, proper world wide - Japan, Australia, South America, USA, Middle East, Stadiums in the UK and Ireland etc. Couldn't name of hum one song by the bloke but he'll pull in a massive crowd. 

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

his metacritic average is 67 although there are things like this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/cdreviews/10920578/Ed-Sheeran-X-review-genuinely-great.html

he's no Beyonce but he's not McBusted either. even as a fan i'll admit some of his output is dirge - i'll be away to the loo the second he dares start Photograph - but he does have some genuinely enjoyable songs, at least a couple of which are iconic to swathes of my generation. and as a live act he's very engaging, even if it comes across a bit rehearsed when you see him thrice on the same tour and he trots out the same 'my job is to entertain you and your job is to be entertained can i get a hell yeah' line each time

Edited by Zac Quinn

43 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Ed is huge now, like Mumfords were then.

I've never understood the criteria for a band to 'close' the festival.  It seems to be a relatively recent concept.  Does it actually matter?

It matters in so far as it's ace when your favourite band of the weekend is headlining the sunday, as it gives you something to look forward too all weekend, and no matter how good a time you are having, you know something even better is still to come. 

For this reason, I really hope flaming lips are headlining on the sunday somewhere (if they play)