Coldplay, what to expect?

ten2doc

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They haven't released anything decent since Vida la Vida. And that only had a couple of good songs on it. Recent stuff of theirs I've heard has been awful.

In my opinion viva la vida is actually a turd album, probably their bottom 2. If their most recent album was their debut then it would get rave reviews. 

I've not seen them since they toured A Rush of Blood, so looking forward to seeing them on the Pyramid. 

For sentimental reasons, if they play Everything's Not Lost, my best pal & I will be very pleased, drunk, and tearful 

Having headlined the festival 3 times already and given that they're doing a stadium tour ahead of it this year, I think it's fair to say we'll have a pretty clear idea of what to expect.

The tour started in Barcelona last night and this was the setlist:

A Head Full of Dreams

Yellow

Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

The Scientist

Birds

Paradise

Everglow

Ink

Magic

Clocks

Midnight

Charlie Brown

Hymn for the Weekend

Fix You

"Heroes" (David Bowie cover)

Viva la Vida

Adventure of a Lifetime

Kaleidoscope

Don't Panic

See You Soon

Amazing Day

A Sky Full of Stars

Up&Up

4 minutes ago, budvar said:

Having headlined the festival 3 times already and given that they're doing a stadium tour ahead of it this year, I think it's fair to say we'll have a pretty clear idea of what to expect.

The tour started in Barcelona last night and this was the setlist:

A Head Full of Dreams

Yellow

Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall

The Scientist

Birds

Paradise

Everglow

Ink

Magic

Clocks

Midnight

Charlie Brown

Hymn for the Weekend

Fix You

"Heroes" (David Bowie cover)

Viva la Vida

Adventure of a Lifetime

Kaleidoscope

Don't Panic

See You Soon

Amazing Day

A Sky Full of Stars

Up&Up

What a terrible setlist. Cant say I'm thrilled to be seeing them next week

I have no strong feelings either way when it comes to Coldplay, but I stumbled across a video of their Heroes cover last night and couldn't listen to more than about thirty seconds. Absolutely dreadful stuff - they some how managed to make it sound vaguely like the Only Fools theme song.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

That Bowie cover is going to hurt.

1 hour ago, SirDaniel said:

I have no strong feelings either way when it comes to Coldplay, but I stumbled across a video of their Heroes cover last night and couldn't listen to more than about thirty seconds. Absolutely dreadful stuff - they some how managed to make it sound vaguely like the Only Fools theme song.

Just had a listen to the Heroes cover, and that hurt. And this is coming from somebody who doesn't hide the fact that I like Coldplay!

Ultimately I'll have to judge it on the night, but Chris Martin's vocals sounded awful. Didn't even sound like he was singing in the correct key. Who knows, maybe it was the vid, but do you know who I love more than Coldplay? Bowie.

You have four weeks to sort it out. Don't fuck it up Martin.

For my mate's birthday last year I bought him a T Shirt , on which was printed in small letters 'Make Coldplay History'. He was very happy with it. 

Four months later was my birthday. He bought me a T shirt, on which was printed.... etc etc. I was happy.

Did see them at Pilton Party donkey's years ago and they were OK, even quite good and then at Glastonbury soon after that but then just got a bit bored of them.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I've got to confess, I'd been considering going to see them, but on the strength of the opening 2 minutes of their radio 1 gig I changed my mind.

The new songs are very poor with the exception of Up & Up though I think most people would agree. 

Just sat through the R1BW show out of curiosity

I have to give them their dues, they are a very cunning band. Given they're all nearly 40, they had a very young crowd eating out of their hands, with well over a decade old tunes going down a storm and then splicing in dance mashups. Chris Martin just about avoids coming across as a fun dad. 

I have no interest in seeing them at Glasto, but I have to give them credit