galeforcerob

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, scrippit said:

I love Black Messiah - it is simply brilliant - but like all true works of genius it needs a good few listens. Given the critical acclaim it recieved and the live reviews I am surprised at how instantly dismissive people are. Great booking and only Kendrick could have topped it for me.

Meant to be off the chain live. Actually considering the love Prince gets on here, it would be a similar performance (not as good as Prince obviously)

I've heard of D'Angelo (although that's the extent of my knowledge), but I find it weird that some of you are criticising people for not knowing who he is. How is that their fault? Everyone on here is clearly an avid music fan, yet it's also clear a fair number of people on this board are not familiar with him. I'm not sure what to tell you...shit happens I guess?

He's either not been marketed as well as he could have been, or a significant number of people on this forum (people who usually know much more obscure artists than this guy) have all made the exact same oversight. 

39 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

About ten seconds worth, maybe a bit less, I reckon. 

Fair enough, I'll give it a go

29 minutes ago, Peroni said:

Sorry - didn't say listen tho his back catalgoue music and come up with review - I just meant - literally find out who was the wiki page comes right up - 

I am not a big fan, but I did know who he was, given the aclaim hes had for some of his older stuff etc - but then I am fairly eclectic in that way...

I decide instead of doing that I'd quite literally post my opinion on a messageboard which I enjoy contributing regularly. I prefer a bit of discussion to solo research, but then I am fairly electric in that way.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

(people who usually know much more obscure artists than this guy) have all made the exact same oversight. 

Well I said that on a previous post. I was surprised because loads of people on here have filled me in on some pretty obscure artists and I just thought D'Angelo was really famous! Just depends on what you see/read/take in over the years (i'm 34 so knew him from back in the day!)

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I've heard of D'Angelo (although that's the extent of my knowledge), but I find it weird that some of you are criticising people for not knowing who he is. How is that their fault? Everyone on here is clearly an avid music fan, yet it's also clear a fair number of people on this board are not familiar with him. I'm not sure what to tell you...shit happens I guess?

He's either not been marketed as well as he could have been, or a significant number of people on this forum (people who usually know much more obscure artists than this guy) have all made the exact same oversight. 

Quite. And with all due respect to the fella, if the general consensus on even efestivals is a shrug of the shoulders and cries of 'who?', they aren't right for the slot before the most Capital FM headliner in Glastonbury history.

This board only represents a subset of Glastonbury attendees, generally a bit older and more likely predisposed towards rock music.

That said, while he's a big name and a good booking I don't quite see him as Pyramid Sub any more than I do Beck, which maybe implies something skewiff with the poster.

2 hours ago, hoils said:

Must admit, I find it a little hard to believe that people who are (I would assume, seeing as they're attending Glastonbury) into music have never heard of D'Angelo. Very strange. 

yeah, quite odd. probably the same people who have never heard of Massive Attack or Talking Heads or something.

one of the most critically acclaimed R&B/Soul singers of modern times....

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

yeah, quite odd. probably the same people who have never heard of Massive Attack or Talking Heads or something.

one of the most critically acclaimed R&B/Soul singers of modern times....

I've heard of massive attack and please please let talking heads reform for glastonbury :D

13 minutes ago, bethannny said:

And on Tuesday morning before the festival they just stamp 'Radiohead' across the top

And on the Wednesday, the words "are not effing playing this year so give it a rest, get over it and try to be happy for effs sake because it's getting really boring" just underneath.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This board only represents a subset of Glastonbury attendees, generally a bit older and more likely predisposed towards rock music.

That said, while he's a big name and a good booking I don't quite see him as Pyramid Sub any more than I do Beck, which maybe implies something skewiff with the poster.

Perhaps this begs the question, in what order do you rank the different slots? I've always thought headlining The Other is a better slot than playing second fiddle on The Pyramid. In fact, I think I've always ranked headlining WH, JPT or The Park above subbing The Pyramid. Perhaps we should try to rank the slots as a community?

Edited by jimmyt
Added detail.

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

er, ok, not really sure what that has to do with my point....

Nothing specifically against you, my bad if it came across that way, just saying that the kind of people who've never heard of Talking Heads or Massive Attack are exactly the kind of people who are going to be watching the Saturday sub slot.

Edited by Zac Quinn