Most heartwarming Glastonbury moment?

stixmcvix

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

He hugged me so hard I almost fainted. And then got bundled by various other superheroes only getting them off by pointing out the other girl that helped.

I love this thread, by far the best I've read so far. Me and the mrs only started going to festivals last year IOW being the first and its our first GF this year but the festival bug has already taken hold even though we are mature ish in age but not in attitude. 

I would gladly upvote all comments on here as its just what I would do in the same circumstance and Woffy I love hearing of your exploits but ultimately your actions in the above comment speak volumes of what you and others on here are about.

At IOW last year we talked to huge amounts of people but one in particular a youngish lad James (Early twenties) told us that he had lost his GF a matter of weeks before the festival in a house fire. We almost became surrogate parents for the period of the festival and it was heartbreaking to leave him in the end after many hugs.Hope to see him again this year.

I guess my point is, I expect this as the norm especially at Glastonbury, am sure my eyes will be opened but not because of the festival spirit as its what I expect and can tell from you all. I hope and feel that it will be a homecoming and a reunion with family I have never known. 

Forgive my soppy outburst but just cannot wait till June.   

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003, Stone Circle early afternoon on Thursday (I think).

We'd been pulled into Michael Woods services on the M5 on our way down to the festival and had all of our drugs taken away by smug policemen.  Was a massive operation, there were at least a hundred cops there with a mobile police station set up and a long queue of bummed out Glastonbury goers waiting to get processed.  Bloke next to us in the queue had spent hours the previous night pre-rolling 50 spliffs only to have them all taken away again, he was so gutted.

ANYWAY we've gone up the stone circle to replenish our supply of weed. There's not too many people about but having made our purchase from a friendly Bristolian dealer man by the stones we carry on up to the top of the field for a nice relaxing smoke.

As we're sat there chilling out we notice a Police Land Rover slowly move in to the bottom of the field. Friendly weed dealer and his mate clock this instantly and are having a hurried conference behind a stone with thier bag of wares.

Suddenly police are running into the field from every direction, the dealer bolts for it but there's about maybe 15/20 cops between him and the bottom of the field. He dodges one, then the next, then the next, and by this time the entire field is on its feet cheering him on. He dodges another, then 2 more, sprinting full pace. The crowd are cheering louder and louder. A cop tries to rugby tackle him, dealer man jumps clear over him. Dodges a couple more then he's away out of the bottom of the field leaving cops scattered everywhere.

Everyone in the field is cheering and laughing, I swear it was one of the greatest sporting achievements I have ever seen in the flesh lol, it was amazing.

Best thing was that whilst all this is going on the dealer's mate calmly strolled off into the dragon field with the bag of drugs :) 

I think it was my 3rd Glastonbury in 2000 and I turned up Friday afternoon ticketless and looking for a way in. Before anyone says it, yes I was a fence jumper back in the day, which I'm not proud off. Anyway, after a group of about 30-40 people I just met skulked around the fence looking for a way in, a young lad with a spanner ran down to one of the bits of fence and started to open up a gap wide enough for people to get through.

We all made our way down to the gap to go through when two guys build like brick sh*t houses, pushed every one out of the way, and demanded £20 per person to go through the gap. We argued that this gap had been made by someone else and wasn't "their gap to charge" but the got quite aggressive and demanded the cash.

Immediately, a young lad piped up and declared "This isn't the Glastonbury spirit, i'll give you all a bunk over for free" and the young lad was good to his word and helped throw peoples bags over and give every one a bunk over the fence and in to the festival. I have no idea if the guy even made it in himself as we all had to scarper away from security as soon as we landed on the other side.

A wonderful example of the Glastonbury spirit being alive and well in my opinion.

Edited by mr flow

I think the crowd at Glastonbury generally in the whole being more apologetic & actually concerned about other peoples safety & well being compared to other festivals is a good start.

Whether its the Glastonbury atmosphere that brings it out in people or just the type of crowd it attracts I'm not sure on yet. I'd genuinely like to know what you're opinions on that are, as most of you are multi-festival goers so can compare, & whether you disagree.

(I've not been to Bearded Theory which I always hear has a great diverse crowd on here)

Edited by Couchy
I screwed up & edited the wrong post.

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

Everyone in the field is cheering and laughing, I swear it was one of the greatest sporting achievements I have ever seen in the flesh lol, it was amazing.

Best thing was that whilst all this is going on the dealer's mate calmly strolled off into the dragon field with the bag of drugs :) 

:rofl: Sounds about right, that surely is an amusing anecdote! Pretty frustrating if you're one of the cops, they would have their work cut out at Glasto.

1 hour ago, Couchy said:

I think the crowd at Glastonbury generally in the whole being more apologetic & actually concerned about other peoples safety & well being compared to other festivals is a good start.

Whether its the Glastonbury atmosphere that brings it out in people or just the type of crowd it attracts I'm not sure on yet. I'd genuinely like to know what you're opinions on that are, as most of you are multi-festival goers so can compare, & whether you disagree.

(I've not been to Bearded Theory which I always hear has a great diverse crowd on here)

My theory is that the gruelling camping experience (limited space, everyone's fitting to get a good pitch, everyone is therefore vulnerable to rain/theft) combined with the turmoil of getting tickets and the ordeal of arriving on site - its all a good leveller. That feeling of "we're in all it together" is a big part of the Glastonbury Spirit. That and the fact that everybody really wants to be there (well most people anyway!). Oh and of course the free flow of alcohol and Class A/B/Cs helps I think!

it seems it is not just me who gets pleasure from helping strangers out and making sure all around are having a good time.

it just makes me feel better when i know I have helped someone, for them 5 days I am lovely

the rest of the year I am a twat 

7 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

it just makes me feel better when i know I have helped someone

I definitely think there is an essence of "Glasto karma". Part of me knew there was a chance of getting my camera back at Glastonbury when it fell out of my back pocket, & I did. Someone handed it in (cheers).

The same couldn't be said for when I lost it at Global Gathering.

19 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

The conversation with my daughter that went something like this...

Her... " everyone is just so nice here. I like it"

Me... " I know what you mean. I had always thought it would be friendly - but it's even better than I had hoped"

Her... " Even you're nicer here"

Me... "In what way?"

Her... " Oh I don't know - more relaxed. A bit more Glastonbury"

The use of Glastonbury as an adjective rather than a noun astonished me. Still fills me with a strange mixture of guilt, pleasure and pride. She was 12. Ever since, we've used it as a bit of a secret code at home.

Everyone should be a bit more Glastonbury.

Everyone should be a bit more Glastonbury.

5 hours ago, Woffy said:

I was with my 2 eldest kids waiting for LCD in 2010(?) at the Other. During the previous band (can't remember who) there was a group of about 10 lads 'n lasses dressed as superheroes...really fucking expensive decent quality costumes too. They were quite posh-ish and utterly Gillespied. Anyhoo...

They all staggered off while we sat down and waited for LCD and my daughter noticed they'd left their rucksack. Spoke to a group near to it and asked if it was theirs. Nope. So I told them to witness me opening it so they knew I wasn't nicking anything. Me and a girl from this group looked for a mobile to try ringing some numbers on it to try and get in contact with the superheroes somehow. Every phone was locked.

Btw:

In this rucksack were about 5 wallets, 2 purses, about 7 or 8 mobile phones and probably a few hundred quid in cash.

Plus 3 sets of car keys.

Me and this girl wrote the names in our phones of every name we could find on a credit or bank card from the rucksack and went off separately looking for the superheroes, leaving the rucksack with the kids and getting them to raise the 'locator-only' flag.

After 15 minutes and no joy we both returned so not to miss LCD and agreed I'd take the bag to lost property afterwards.

Just as people were beginning to get to their feet for LCD my daughter shouted "DAD! LOOK! BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN!"

The pair of them followed by an assortment of other superheroes were tear arsing and weaving through the groups of people sat down frantically scanning the ground. 

I strolled over to meet Batman and asked him his name, which matched one of those on a credit card and asked him if he'd lost his bag. Obviously he had. I told him to follow me and wandered back to the flag / kids.

He hugged me so hard I almost fainted. And then got bundled by various other superheroes only getting them off by pointing out the other girl that helped.

They stayed for LCD - who they knew nothing about - and fucking loved it...perhaps enhanced by the relief they felt. They insisted in buying me - and the other girl - booze for the next couple of hours and kept bringing the kids unasked for food and drinks.

I think Stevie Wonder was afterwards on the Pyramid. What a fucking great day.

Who needs a costume to be a superhero? ;)

I've had my dropped wallet given back to me by a group of Grimsby lads back in 04, I didn't know I had dropped it. That gave me a warm feeling (or it was the Mitsubishi kicking in). There's nothing like the Glastonbury spirit, pity everyone can't be like that outside the fence.

On 17/03/2016 at 3:20 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite a heartwarming moment happened last year when I wasn't even attending.  Someone off here turned up on their own, but was really struggling for various reasons.  He reached out to the forum and was met with some wonderful reactions, notably from @kalifire.

I'd forgotten about this until you posted it. Yes great heartwarming stuff indeed.

Mine was when I was walking along between West Holts and Other Stage and dropped some money without noticing and somebody ran after me to give me it back

9 hours ago, stixmcvix said:

That's made me remember another happy memory! On the Saturday in 2011, I was meeting a friend in a cafe up near Green Fields but was away from my camping mates, so said I'd bell them after I'd finished to meet up again. Saw my friend, was lovely. Then walked away and 10 minutes later went to retrieve my phone from my pocket to make the call to my buddies...... it was gone. I sprinted back to the cafe and the lady behind the counter was holding it in her hand saying someone had just found it half trodden in to the mud. I couldn't believe it. I think that was my moment of realisation that I definitely wanted to come back again. Back in London, I never would have seen that phone again, I'm sure.

You say that, but I managed to lose the same phone twice in one day in London and got it back. Once in a cafe and once on the tube.

21 minutes ago, cornish hick said:

just the bog standard lost my phone late one night.  

Lovely lady who found it rang the wife at home, a mate who id spoken to back home and then a mate who was with me.

so met up got phone back - gave her big hug and a cider :)

got mine back after losing it one year , with wine from one of the wine bars as a reward , must be a common reward :)

Every year I have lovely moments. Last year I went off to see Jamie T, me pals were off somewhere else. I sat down at the Other stage while Belle and Sebastian were on, chilling out, rolling me stuffs. Was really lovely and i was buzzing for Jamie T. This group of teenagers came past and sat down, one of them spoke to me, she said are you watching Jamie T, I said yeah and she smiled and said, that's ace, you don't look like a Jamie T fan, you look like you're more of an Avalon type (the next day telling my friends they decided she was basically telling me I was old!! Ha). I laughed and agreed as I do hang out round there. She said they were going to the front and did i want to go and hang with them, I was planning on getting to the front anyway, so said yeah why not. They were so lovely, had a great time. Great set. I was planning on going off after it, but they persuaded me to say for Chems, best decision ever, it was immense. They were a lovely bunch. Made my evening.

Not Glastonbury but a young lad handed me back a spare camera battery I dropped & didn't realise whilst pulling out my set of headphones from a pocket.

I was really quite taken aback he had sprinted across Cardiff Central Square to catch up & hand it back to me. I couldn't say thank you enough & as I was on my own (mates were go-karting) I thought I'd ask him for a pint but he was only 15.

Ended up losing my camera in Full Moon later on though, waiting to hear back from them.

On 18/03/2016 at 11:37 AM, mr flow said:

We all made our way down to the gap to go through when two guys build like brick sh*t houses, pushed every one out of the way, and demanded £20 per person to go through the gap. We argued that this gap had been made by someone else and wasn't "their gap to charge" but the got quite aggressive and demanded the cash.

Virtually identical to my entry in 2000.  My mate and I had made the gap, helped a few folks through and then 2 big guys who looked like night club bouncers announced it was their "gate" now and started charging, got a bit aggressive with me when I questioned this so we thought fuck it, at least we're in and went off and pitched in oxlyers.

On 17 March 2016 at 3:36 PM, Woffy said:

This was indeed awesome.

I read this to my missus at the time and she was in tears.

Good ol' Kali.

I remember this very well. The guy was having a really bad time of it. Kali helped him relocate to a new campsite.

On 18/03/2016 at 10:59 AM, HattersBoy said:

I guess my point is, I expect this as the norm especially at Glastonbury, am sure my eyes will be opened but not because of the festival spirit as its what I expect and can tell from you all. I hope and feel that it will be a homecoming and a reunion with family I have never known. 

Sorry a bit behind reading this thread HB,  what a beautiful way of putting it.

Had a extremely long bus journey due to an accident on the motorway one year, I was on my own and probably carrying to much gear! The conditions were bad underfoot and I was struggling.  This guy walked right in front of me cutting me up and almost knocked me off my feet, I said excuse me! Quite loudly! He turned round and apologised profusely! Him and his mates took my gear, gave me a can of cider and actually walked me to my camp! Lovely guys! A dodgy start to the festival which threatened my mood was completely overturned by Glasto spirit! Felt warm and fuzzy the rest of the day