South East Corner

ProperTea

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that it is similar. Its useful when one ends up in certain states to know its familiar. This year will be my 4th year - and really love block nine, especially the disco in NYC downlow.

The first year I was there - my mind was blown and always enjoy it - they do a great job.

Agree a little change would be nice...nothing major, but little surprises new things are nice and show some evolutionary thought in what makes a great party

Needs more space (far too overcrowded) and a bit more variety of music genres in each of the venues. Seemed like a lot of the venues were playing the same music, but that could've just been my state of mind.

The "themes' seem to be getting weaker each year, the politics theme from this year didn't really work for me. My favourite was from 2011, the "end of the world". I'd like to see a more post-apocalyptic theme for 2016, draw on the roots of the SE corner, Trash City. etc.

Just needs re-imagining that's all. It's still the best place to go, post-midnight, for me anyways.

To what extent has it got to the end of what it can really achieve as part of a wider festival and in the area (and budget) allotted to it I wonder. Problem with raising the bar every year is that you end up in a cycle of having to outdo yourself year on year and the eventual failure to do so can be a PR disaster since expectations are always high.... Some other areas of the festival are experiencing this (e.g. the Pyramid mega-headliners question; Arcadia after its relocation for some). Somehow maybe they need to conceptually 'reset' so that an entirely new theatrical ideology can take root and be allowed to grow over the next 8 years or so....

To what extent has it got to the end of what it can really achieve as part of a wider festival and in the area (and budget) allotted to it I wonder. Problem with raising the bar every year is that you end up in a cycle of having to outdo yourself year on year and the eventual failure to do so can be a PR disaster since expectations are always high.... Some other areas of the festival are experiencing this (e.g. the Pyramid mega-headliners question; Arcadia after its relocation for some). Somehow maybe they need to conceptually 'reset' so that an entirely new theatrical ideology can take root and be allowed to grow over the next 8 years or so....

agreed. But as someone said, they've spent a lot of money on this set up so just discarding it all and starting afresh does seem like a big waste of money.

I feel like we are stuck with this for a few more years yet, sadly.

2014 was my first Glastonbury for 14 years, and because of that fact I was completely blown away with whole area. I absolutely loved it! That being said, it would be nice to have a few changes here and there, just to keep things fresh.

To be honest though, it's usually the weird and wonderful sights from other festival goers that provide the most entertainment, and that will always change year after year!

I think they need to abandon this hedonists playground idea - they can keep the theming and the art and the story but push those - not just getting off your tits to thumpthumpthump.

It's been interesting watching the festival's ebb and flow over the last few years - there's a definite night-population now who only emerge late afternoon then do all night and back again. Mornings are slower than they used to be, early audiences smaller and less lively.

I'd like the covered lanes back with a proper continuation of the story which was evolving there every year. And more mad little 'shops' to go in with weird things to look at. I'd just like it to be more than the clubland that it has become. It's lost it's character.

Good post, totally agree, almost as if it has been 'dumbed down' and just turned into stages as opposed to an area. If it's going to be djs everywhere then there definitely needs to be a push to broaden the genres being played, give people some proper choice.

Off on a tangent and I know people have mentioned it before but that old ID spiral tent at the entrance to the dance village was great the few times it was there (ambient, trip hop etc and projections)...a nice alternative

They need to move bits around rather than change everything - Although I think 2011 was better theme.

Arcadia is no good up on the hill, I know they moved it up there to reduce congestion in SE corner but it's part of the reason they have to turn it down so much after midnight. perhaps move block-9 up there instead?

The whole SE corner thing has become a trudge through crowds in the hope you're going to experiance something great - and mostly it's DnB in micro-venues, yawn....

I ended up spending more time up at Glade this year and probably will do in 2016.

agreed. But as someone said, they've spent a lot of money on this set up so just discarding it all and starting afresh does seem like a big waste of money.

I feel like we are stuck with this for a few more years yet, sadly.

Could they not recycle much of the stuff into a new concept - I mean its not like a lot of it hasn't been recycled already anyway?

There is a narrative that evolves year on year -

2013 - A strictly demarcated Heaven and Hell.

2014 - Heaven starting to encroach into hell, with the latter being revealed as the world of the businessman, man.

2015 - Hell starts to get political.

2016 - ?

It's not of any great import if all you want to do is get off your cakes, but I'm not sure why it's any better or worse than the 2009 - 2011 tale of a civilisation going corrupt and the survivors blasting off into space.

There is a narrative that evolves year on year -

2013 - A strictly demarcated Heaven and Hell.

2014 - Heaven starting to encroach into hell, with the latter being revealed as the world of the businessman, man.

2015 - Hell starts to get political.

2016 - ?

It's not of any great import if all you want to do is get off your cakes, but I'm not sure why it's any better or worse than the 2009 - 2011 tale of a civilisation going corrupt and the survivors blasting off into space.

2016 is a media narrative of some sort i believe.

They need to move bits around rather than change everything - Although I think 2011 was better theme.

each year all the various nano venues, and many that don't make the cut bid to be on site each summer - it's the best ideas that get on board - so it's not actually the same people each year - so it's actually constantly evolving year on year.

Big fan of the whole South East corner.  It's too busy, and there seems to be a massive bias towards drum and bass and reggae at a lot of the venues (although i do enjoy small doses of both it's a bit annoying queuing for a venue only to find the music inside isn't really what I'm after when I get in there).  

I love it though, especially Block 9 and The Common.

Edited by Eks101

• 2 weeks later...

I like the SE Corner but seemed to visit at just the wrong time last year on a thursday night when Shangri-La was virtually unnavigable. I try and time it a little better next year. It's reputation now makes it incredibly popular so have to be prepared for the crowds if you are going to visit after dark.

I'm glad they moved Arcadia, access was really easy and you could get pretty close to the centre without too much trouble at all, we will definitely be returning there next year.