Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Adele Coldplay and Muse is just such a safe boring booking and I'm really sorry if this offends any die hard fans. My first year going and the headliners are quite frankly going to be shit. Unless Radiohead, of course.

Said it before but the headliners from now on are always going to be shit. Everyone good has either A: played, B: Died, C: Been arrested for fiddling, D: Been arrested for fiddling and then died.

Last year Florence & the Machine and Kanye West played, year before that Arcade Fire, Kasabian and Metallica.

All debutantes and, with the exception of the latter, all in the fairly early days of their careers.

And this is our only hope. That the current crop of young nippers can morph into great bands and not drift mindlessly into mediocrity. 

Edited by The Nal

7 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

Adele Coldplay and Muse is just such a safe boring booking and I'm really sorry if this offends any die hard fans. My first year going and the headliners are quite frankly going to be shit. Unless Radiohead, of course.

Judging by the potential headliners we could be facing for the other big stages, (New Order, Earth Wind & Fire etc) it really is no great loss if the Pyramid headliners aren't as exciting as usual. 

Just now, craigb said:

Glastonbury has a great platform to showcase acts. I rather see them give opportunities to up and coming bands rather than these "heritage bands" that are doing it just to tick off another box.

Also hate seeing the same old acts repeated time and time again at festivals. Them acts have had they opportunity to headline and be in the spot light, time to move on

i don't think your system of 'headline once, make way for somebody else' would really work in the long run. in an ideal world we'd have tons of new acts stepping up to headliner positions each year, but the reality is that just doesn't happen, and when it does, it's dross like Mumfords who have only gotten so big because the masses have eaten them up

7 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I agree that that trio seems a bit off but I don't think all three having headlined more than once before would stop them booking it. They could easily market it as a Glastonbury heroes/legends sort of thing, with three huge bands who all got their first headline slot at Glastonbury all coming back to headline again.

Radiohead headlined T in the Park first.

Basically they need to play to save the Pyramid from a shocking set of headliners. But I don't think we'll be that lucky sadly.

Edited by ericlered

I look back to the year with Arctic Monkeys and Rolling Stones.. Was that just an exceptionally good year? Or is this year just going to be incredibly shit? Surely they can't put Muse and Coldplay on headlining - there is NO alternative. Lets face it, and again I apologise if I offend any die hard fans, but most people who hate Muse also hate Coldplay and vise-versa. That's 2 nights people aren't going to bother going Pyramid because it's just shit. 

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

I look back to the year with Arctic Monkeys and Rolling Stones.. Was that just an exceptionally good year? Or is this year just going to be incredibly shit? Surely they can't put Muse and Coldplay on headlining - there is NO alternative. Lets face it, and again I apologise if I offend any die hard fans, but most people who hate Muse also hate Coldplay and vise-versa. That's 2 nights people aren't going to bother going Pyramid because it's just shit. 

Sorry make that 3.. Adele. Lol.

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

They're quite different bands actually. There would be a fair bit of overlap, but Muse would get fans who like some of the heavier, more technically accomplished acts too whereas Coldplay would be more likely to get more of the pop crowd. I don't think necessarily they would get the same fans, or even very similar. 

3 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

the more I hear, the more that what I hear seems to suggest Muse might not be headlining.

Rather astounding if true.

2 minutes ago, Honeybane said:

It depends what you define as shit. Muse, Coldplay, Adele, Radiohead....4 huge UK acts, millions of records. Some might say any 3 from those 4 would be a very strong headline lineup, one of the strongest in many years. If you don't like them then you'll say it's weak.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Last year Florence & the Machine and Kanye West played, year before that Arcade Fire, Kasabian and Metallica.

All debutantes and, with the exception of the latter, all in the fairly early days of their careers.

Kanye, Kasabian and Arcade Fire headlined numerous festivals before Glastonbury. The bands had already been road tested. Hardly ground breaking bookings and I'd even argue the stock of them bands where heading down rather than up (maybe with the exception of Flo).

Although I do appreciate they where "refreshing" booking for Glastonbury and not repeat headliners. 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Eh? They've only headlined once, haven't they? :blink:

(my memory might be playing tricks, but I'm thinking 2000 only).

Oh sorry i meant acts whove headlined at least once, but in total have played the festival, in some form, the most. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

but then where does it end? six headliner sized acts playing the festival each year? 

Why not? If the acts are willing to play for the fees offered, they should do it.  Having 2 massive acts opposite each other would actually be great for reducing over-crowding at each stage.

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i don't think your system of 'headline once, make way for somebody else' would really work in the long run. in an ideal world we'd have tons of new acts stepping up to headliner positions each year, but the reality is that just doesn't happen, and when it does, it's dross like Mumfords who have only gotten so big because the masses have eaten them up

In reality headlining once probably wouldn't work, especially for big festivals, it is more of an ideal. It works more for the small and medium festivals.

Isn't new up and coming headliners being ate up by the masses the point, putting personal taste to the side? Look at Flo this year, not everyone bag but she's gone from strength to strength since.  

2 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

Played in 1994, headlined 97 and 03, made a semi appearance (Thom and Jonny) in 2010. A full appearance in 2011. Would be an interesting quiz question. How many bands who have headlined the pyramid have appeared in some form more than Radiohead. Coldplay have played 4 times. This year will be 5. Chemical Bros are surely the winners though im waiting to be proven wrong.

Damon Albarn's gotta be in with a shout. Played 5 times with Blur, twice headining; headlined with Gorillaz and played with Bobby Womack and Africa Express (and probably something else that I'm forgetting...)