Jump to content
  • Join our community!

    Join over 250K members and chat about all things festivals.

Drake


kemosabe
 Share

Recommended Posts

Not a thread to discuss him and Kendrick. But with him being, ahem, in the news this last week... I was just wondering if anyone knew if he'd ever come close to playing Glastonbury in the past decade or so?

Obivously a massive name in the industry, headlined Coachella etc. and would have be following on from the likes of Jay Z and Kanye. But I don't remember him even being a rumour.

One would presume that the festival at least reached out to him, but guessing he priced himself out of it? Unless of course, the Eavis' had heard the rumours apparently going round the industry and steered well clear? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t think of an artist with more success that I am more baffled by
 

Some of the dullest music around
 

it's only about money

 

dreadful live

 

he's a c**t

 


 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I can’t think of an artist with as more success that I am more baffled by
 

Some of the dullest music around
 

it's only about money

 

dreadful live

 

he's a c**t

 

Must admit after this week I'm feeling quite smug, I always found his music sh*t. But I remember hearing him absolutely everywhere a few years ago tbf. Massively sucsessful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not into his music at all, but had him down on my list of people who "could" headline from the perspective that he is big enough and has the mainstream appeal.

 

He's a bit of a hollow man because he doesn't have the credibility (street or critical) of any of the previous Rap headliners, all he has are the sales.  I don't think that would matter though TBH.

 

for me still on the list of people who might headline if the conditions are right.

 

In some regards this beef could make it more likely.  I'm sure I read somewhere that Kanye wanted to do Glasto because he wanted to one up Jay-Z.  Drake might want to do the same thing to Kendrick....(He would fail hilariously 'cos that Kendrick set was outstanding and nigh on impossible to top).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Significant contender for Worst Canadian ever. Which is surprisingly hard fought, considering its an absolutely beautiful country full of mostly lovely people! But Drake, Chad from Nickelback, Bieber, Robin Thicke, Avril bloody Lavigne, dare i even mention Shatner? There's some rotters up there and no mistake, and Drake is right among them 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As resident Drake fan I've got to chime in here! Also a Kendrick fan of course, it's possible to be both. The whole beef is probably one of the few exciting events in mainstream US hip hop in recent years and certainly more of an event than both of their most recent albums...

Firstly, Kendrick won the beef, but at what cost? Firstly there's the personal integrity question which is probably taking a big hit. At one point you could have posited him as the moral vanguard of hip hop but he's indulged conspiracy theorism in this (effectively and with a fair slice of humour, but conspiracy nonetheless) barrage of diss tracks, not to mention that he lapped up some deliberate BS fed by Drake's team and put it in a song. Obviously Mr. Morale itself goes some way towards distancing himself from the saintly projection from fans, the media and the world at large, but in the diss tracks he is adopting a 'we the people' voice and airing out the grievances and theories of drake haters worldwide and it must be cathartic for all of them. And he's good at it, but lets not confuse what he's doing here with some of his Pulitzer work.  . 

And then of course the accusation that he beat his fiancee up and hired a crisis management team to clear it up is a pretty heavy one and you know, quite a long way away from "Godspeed for women's rights".
Thirdly, he didn't really attempt to answer any questions about his own affairs, which is fine for now, he had plenty of mud to sling at Drake, and a world ready to listen, but someone will come for him one day and he won't have the same ammo to respond with and I guess that might be tactical victory, strategic failure. But he can still rely on being able to outrap nearly anyone else.

For Drake, obviously it's been a pretty bruising encounter, especially because Kendrick used his own playbook against him in terms of how the beef played out with back to back releases and even a catchy club tune that will get singalongs all summer. But Drake's disses were pretty solid, well constructed and well rapped with lots of points scored and if he couldn't land a decisive blow against Kendrick, he certainly made the other co-ordinated agitators (Future, MetroBoomin, The Weeknd) look pretty silly. Rick Ross is now the old man angry at clouds meme.

 

It's likely that both achieve extended relevance from this spat based on the streaming numbers. Drake is like Taylor Swift in that he releases music at an astonishing rate. I can't see this really making a significant dent in that cadence but hopefully it might inspire something better than his dull recent output. Kendrick hasn't done numbers like this for a while. It's a bit annoying that like 'Humble', it's his worst tracks that cut through (I'm calling 'Not like us' garbage, sorry.)

 

There's an element of proof in the pudding for Drake in the fact that this beef is happening at all. In terms of motivation for Kendrick starting this beef, he clearly just wanted to prove he's number 1, responding to Drake & J.Cole's track "First Person Shooter" last year. Why is Kendrick so bothered? Why does he have this visceral hatred of all things Aubrey? Why has he thrown the absolute kitchen sink at him, noting every personal grievance, every rumour and conspiracy and even bringing family into it and throwing some pretty questionable racial politics into the mix? It's not an act of benevolence to the wider world but an attempt to see off a rival and be crowned the undisputed best rapper alive. To do that he had to defeat Drake, and throw it all on the line to do so.


Would and should Drake play Glastonbury?

The most obvious point is he fulfils most of the objective-ish criteria that gets bandied about on here to evaluate whether an act is a suitable headliner. One of the most commercially successful artists of recent times, a number of critically acclaimed releases, sellout arena tours and number one records. Arguably he's the rap equivalent of Coldplay - a mega artist who has evolved his music over the years in accordance with the trends of the time rather than imposing his artistic vision upon the world, and generally having what would be considered a broad rather than deep appeal. Obviously a lot of people think Coldplay are shite but few argue their credentials to headline.

His creative peak was the middle years of the last decade with a number of great releases from 2012 through to 2018ish. Take Care (2012) and Nothing Was The Same (2014) are classic rap albums for me, the sort that have sadly died out. Scorpion was probably the turning point where, there were more stinkers than solid ones, but a bit like Taylor Swift's most recent album, a curated playlist picking out an hours worth of material from the record would make a very decent album. He's clearly far from a terrible rapper too, although he is prone to having many songs based around a similar subject matter and hasn't demonstrated lots of artistic growth from the early years.

 

I'd say we're probably now entering the era where he could play. Whether he would be booked is another matter as I'd say mainstream opinion in the UK would be dead against it. But as far as the economics around it are concerned, I think he could become a festival sized act again, in the same way that Taylor Swift is probably 'above' festival sized right now.

 


 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Significant contender for Worst Canadian ever. Which is surprisingly hard fought, considering its an absolutely beautiful country full of mostly lovely people! But Drake, Chad from Nickelback, Bieber, Robin Thicke, Avril bloody Lavigne, dare i even mention Shatner? There's some rotters up there and no mistake, and Drake is right among them 

Trudeau is a clown too tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He has always struck me as the kind of act it's cool to like rather than people actually give sh*t about music. 

 

I have given him a bit of time listening and I found what I tried to be literally beige as anything. 

 

I know some might say give him more time and you might get into it but in all honesty there are loads more artists much more deserving of my music listening time so il take a hard pass on drake personally. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I can’t think of an artist with more success that I am more baffled by
 

Some of the dullest music around
 

it's only about money

 

dreadful live

 

he's a c**t

 


 

If Glastonbury never booked a c**t then no one would headline lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nduja said:

As resident Drake fan I've got to chime in here! Also a Kendrick fan of course, it's possible to be both. The whole beef is probably one of the few exciting events in mainstream US hip hop in recent years and certainly more of an event than both of their most recent albums...

Firstly, Kendrick won the beef, but at what cost? Firstly there's the personal integrity question which is probably taking a big hit. At one point you could have posited him as the moral vanguard of hip hop but he's indulged conspiracy theorism in this (effectively and with a fair slice of humour, but conspiracy nonetheless) barrage of diss tracks, not to mention that he lapped up some deliberate BS fed by Drake's team and put it in a song. Obviously Mr. Morale itself goes some way towards distancing himself from the saintly projection from fans, the media and the world at large, but in the diss tracks he is adopting a 'we the people' voice and airing out the grievances and theories of drake haters worldwide and it must be cathartic for all of them. And he's good at it, but lets not confuse what he's doing here with some of his Pulitzer work.  . 

And then of course the accusation that he beat his fiancee up and hired a crisis management team to clear it up is a pretty heavy one and you know, quite a long way away from "Godspeed for women's rights".
Thirdly, he didn't really attempt to answer any questions about his own affairs, which is fine for now, he had plenty of mud to sling at Drake, and a world ready to listen, but someone will come for him one day and he won't have the same ammo to respond with and I guess that might be tactical victory, strategic failure. But he can still rely on being able to outrap nearly anyone else.

For Drake, obviously it's been a pretty bruising encounter, especially because Kendrick used his own playbook against him in terms of how the beef played out with back to back releases and even a catchy club tune that will get singalongs all summer. But Drake's disses were pretty solid, well constructed and well rapped with lots of points scored and if he couldn't land a decisive blow against Kendrick, he certainly made the other co-ordinated agitators (Future, MetroBoomin, The Weeknd) look pretty silly. Rick Ross is now the old man angry at clouds meme.

 

It's likely that both achieve extended relevance from this spat based on the streaming numbers. Drake is like Taylor Swift in that he releases music at an astonishing rate. I can't see this really making a significant dent in that cadence but hopefully it might inspire something better than his dull recent output. Kendrick hasn't done numbers like this for a while. It's a bit annoying that like 'Humble', it's his worst tracks that cut through (I'm calling 'Not like us' garbage, sorry.)

 

There's an element of proof in the pudding for Drake in the fact that this beef is happening at all. In terms of motivation for Kendrick starting this beef, he clearly just wanted to prove he's number 1, responding to Drake & J.Cole's track "First Person Shooter" last year. Why is Kendrick so bothered? Why does he have this visceral hatred of all things Aubrey? Why has he thrown the absolute kitchen sink at him, noting every personal grievance, every rumour and conspiracy and even bringing family into it and throwing some pretty questionable racial politics into the mix? It's not an act of benevolence to the wider world but an attempt to see off a rival and be crowned the undisputed best rapper alive. To do that he had to defeat Drake, and throw it all on the line to do so.


Would and should Drake play Glastonbury?

The most obvious point is he fulfils most of the objective-ish criteria that gets bandied about on here to evaluate whether an act is a suitable headliner. One of the most commercially successful artists of recent times, a number of critically acclaimed releases, sellout arena tours and number one records. Arguably he's the rap equivalent of Coldplay - a mega artist who has evolved his music over the years in accordance with the trends of the time rather than imposing his artistic vision upon the world, and generally having what would be considered a broad rather than deep appeal. Obviously a lot of people think Coldplay are shite but few argue their credentials to headline.

His creative peak was the middle years of the last decade with a number of great releases from 2012 through to 2018ish. Take Care (2012) and Nothing Was The Same (2014) are classic rap albums for me, the sort that have sadly died out. Scorpion was probably the turning point where, there were more stinkers than solid ones, but a bit like Taylor Swift's most recent album, a curated playlist picking out an hours worth of material from the record would make a very decent album. He's clearly far from a terrible rapper too, although he is prone to having many songs based around a similar subject matter and hasn't demonstrated lots of artistic growth from the early years.

 

I'd say we're probably now entering the era where he could play. Whether he would be booked is another matter as I'd say mainstream opinion in the UK would be dead against it. But as far as the economics around it are concerned, I think he could become a festival sized act again, in the same way that Taylor Swift is probably 'above' festival sized right now.

 


 

Remarkable to me that you'd type all that out and not realise this started about a decade ago and not with first person shooter or kendrick thinking he needs to take down drake to be considered the best rapper alive lol. Only a drake fan could come up with that theory.

 

If you're going to poke holes in kendrick's tracks by saying he has divulged unproven theories you can't then bring up the unfounded claims about kendrick & his wife...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nduja said:

As resident Drake fan I've got to chime in here! Also a Kendrick fan of course, it's possible to be both. The whole beef is probably one of the few exciting events in mainstream US hip hop in recent years and certainly more of an event than both of their most recent albums...

Firstly, Kendrick won the beef, but at what cost? Firstly there's the personal integrity question which is probably taking a big hit. At one point you could have posited him as the moral vanguard of hip hop but he's indulged conspiracy theorism in this (effectively and with a fair slice of humour, but conspiracy nonetheless) barrage of diss tracks, not to mention that he lapped up some deliberate BS fed by Drake's team and put it in a song. Obviously Mr. Morale itself goes some way towards distancing himself from the saintly projection from fans, the media and the world at large, but in the diss tracks he is adopting a 'we the people' voice and airing out the grievances and theories of drake haters worldwide and it must be cathartic for all of them. And he's good at it, but lets not confuse what he's doing here with some of his Pulitzer work.  . 

And then of course the accusation that he beat his fiancee up and hired a crisis management team to clear it up is a pretty heavy one and you know, quite a long way away from "Godspeed for women's rights".
Thirdly, he didn't really attempt to answer any questions about his own affairs, which is fine for now, he had plenty of mud to sling at Drake, and a world ready to listen, but someone will come for him one day and he won't have the same ammo to respond with and I guess that might be tactical victory, strategic failure. But he can still rely on being able to outrap nearly anyone else.

For Drake, obviously it's been a pretty bruising encounter, especially because Kendrick used his own playbook against him in terms of how the beef played out with back to back releases and even a catchy club tune that will get singalongs all summer. But Drake's disses were pretty solid, well constructed and well rapped with lots of points scored and if he couldn't land a decisive blow against Kendrick, he certainly made the other co-ordinated agitators (Future, MetroBoomin, The Weeknd) look pretty silly. Rick Ross is now the old man angry at clouds meme.

 

It's likely that both achieve extended relevance from this spat based on the streaming numbers. Drake is like Taylor Swift in that he releases music at an astonishing rate. I can't see this really making a significant dent in that cadence but hopefully it might inspire something better than his dull recent output. Kendrick hasn't done numbers like this for a while. It's a bit annoying that like 'Humble', it's his worst tracks that cut through (I'm calling 'Not like us' garbage, sorry.)

 

There's an element of proof in the pudding for Drake in the fact that this beef is happening at all. In terms of motivation for Kendrick starting this beef, he clearly just wanted to prove he's number 1, responding to Drake & J.Cole's track "First Person Shooter" last year. Why is Kendrick so bothered? Why does he have this visceral hatred of all things Aubrey? Why has he thrown the absolute kitchen sink at him, noting every personal grievance, every rumour and conspiracy and even bringing family into it and throwing some pretty questionable racial politics into the mix? It's not an act of benevolence to the wider world but an attempt to see off a rival and be crowned the undisputed best rapper alive. To do that he had to defeat Drake, and throw it all on the line to do so.


Would and should Drake play Glastonbury?

The most obvious point is he fulfils most of the objective-ish criteria that gets bandied about on here to evaluate whether an act is a suitable headliner. One of the most commercially successful artists of recent times, a number of critically acclaimed releases, sellout arena tours and number one records. Arguably he's the rap equivalent of Coldplay - a mega artist who has evolved his music over the years in accordance with the trends of the time rather than imposing his artistic vision upon the world, and generally having what would be considered a broad rather than deep appeal. Obviously a lot of people think Coldplay are shite but few argue their credentials to headline.

His creative peak was the middle years of the last decade with a number of great releases from 2012 through to 2018ish. Take Care (2012) and Nothing Was The Same (2014) are classic rap albums for me, the sort that have sadly died out. Scorpion was probably the turning point where, there were more stinkers than solid ones, but a bit like Taylor Swift's most recent album, a curated playlist picking out an hours worth of material from the record would make a very decent album. He's clearly far from a terrible rapper too, although he is prone to having many songs based around a similar subject matter and hasn't demonstrated lots of artistic growth from the early years.

 

I'd say we're probably now entering the era where he could play. Whether he would be booked is another matter as I'd say mainstream opinion in the UK would be dead against it. But as far as the economics around it are concerned, I think he could become a festival sized act again, in the same way that Taylor Swift is probably 'above' festival sized right now.

 


 

Will this be available in paperback?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nduja said:

As resident Drake fan I've got to chime in here! Also a Kendrick fan of course, it's possible to be both. The whole beef is probably one of the few exciting events in mainstream US hip hop in recent years and certainly more of an event than both of their most recent albums...

Firstly, Kendrick won the beef, but at what cost? Firstly there's the personal integrity question which is probably taking a big hit. At one point you could have posited him as the moral vanguard of hip hop but he's indulged conspiracy theorism in this (effectively and with a fair slice of humour, but conspiracy nonetheless) barrage of diss tracks, not to mention that he lapped up some deliberate BS fed by Drake's team and put it in a song. Obviously Mr. Morale itself goes some way towards distancing himself from the saintly projection from fans, the media and the world at large, but in the diss tracks he is adopting a 'we the people' voice and airing out the grievances and theories of drake haters worldwide and it must be cathartic for all of them. And he's good at it, but lets not confuse what he's doing here with some of his Pulitzer work.  . 

And then of course the accusation that he beat his fiancee up and hired a crisis management team to clear it up is a pretty heavy one and you know, quite a long way away from "Godspeed for women's rights".
Thirdly, he didn't really attempt to answer any questions about his own affairs, which is fine for now, he had plenty of mud to sling at Drake, and a world ready to listen, but someone will come for him one day and he won't have the same ammo to respond with and I guess that might be tactical victory, strategic failure. But he can still rely on being able to outrap nearly anyone else.

For Drake, obviously it's been a pretty bruising encounter, especially because Kendrick used his own playbook against him in terms of how the beef played out with back to back releases and even a catchy club tune that will get singalongs all summer. But Drake's disses were pretty solid, well constructed and well rapped with lots of points scored and if he couldn't land a decisive blow against Kendrick, he certainly made the other co-ordinated agitators (Future, MetroBoomin, The Weeknd) look pretty silly. Rick Ross is now the old man angry at clouds meme.

 

It's likely that both achieve extended relevance from this spat based on the streaming numbers. Drake is like Taylor Swift in that he releases music at an astonishing rate. I can't see this really making a significant dent in that cadence but hopefully it might inspire something better than his dull recent output. Kendrick hasn't done numbers like this for a while. It's a bit annoying that like 'Humble', it's his worst tracks that cut through (I'm calling 'Not like us' garbage, sorry.)

 

There's an element of proof in the pudding for Drake in the fact that this beef is happening at all. In terms of motivation for Kendrick starting this beef, he clearly just wanted to prove he's number 1, responding to Drake & J.Cole's track "First Person Shooter" last year. Why is Kendrick so bothered? Why does he have this visceral hatred of all things Aubrey? Why has he thrown the absolute kitchen sink at him, noting every personal grievance, every rumour and conspiracy and even bringing family into it and throwing some pretty questionable racial politics into the mix? It's not an act of benevolence to the wider world but an attempt to see off a rival and be crowned the undisputed best rapper alive. To do that he had to defeat Drake, and throw it all on the line to do so.


Would and should Drake play Glastonbury?

The most obvious point is he fulfils most of the objective-ish criteria that gets bandied about on here to evaluate whether an act is a suitable headliner. One of the most commercially successful artists of recent times, a number of critically acclaimed releases, sellout arena tours and number one records. Arguably he's the rap equivalent of Coldplay - a mega artist who has evolved his music over the years in accordance with the trends of the time rather than imposing his artistic vision upon the world, and generally having what would be considered a broad rather than deep appeal. Obviously a lot of people think Coldplay are shite but few argue their credentials to headline.

His creative peak was the middle years of the last decade with a number of great releases from 2012 through to 2018ish. Take Care (2012) and Nothing Was The Same (2014) are classic rap albums for me, the sort that have sadly died out. Scorpion was probably the turning point where, there were more stinkers than solid ones, but a bit like Taylor Swift's most recent album, a curated playlist picking out an hours worth of material from the record would make a very decent album. He's clearly far from a terrible rapper too, although he is prone to having many songs based around a similar subject matter and hasn't demonstrated lots of artistic growth from the early years.

 

I'd say we're probably now entering the era where he could play. Whether he would be booked is another matter as I'd say mainstream opinion in the UK would be dead against it. But as far as the economics around it are concerned, I think he could become a festival sized act again, in the same way that Taylor Swift is probably 'above' festival sized right now.

 


 

 

what on earth.... theres videos of drake kissing under age kids and mbb saying he dmd her when she was 13. 

 

drake has NO classics, he has 2 good ish albums (take care, nothing was the same) the rest are average at best. he has zero albums in the same stratosphere as GKMC , TPAB or Morales.  Ive seen him live 3 times and hes not good at all. i dont mind drake in terms of the odd catchy song and some mood music but theres levels to this sh*t and drake is nowhere near kendricks. 

Just look at those diss tracks as proof. drakes last reply was so bad.  His defence to being a pdf-file was "im too famous to do that and not get caught". Yikes. 

Kendrick doesnt care about streaming numbers, he is a different beast to drake.  Family matters wasnt bad but then got ethered by meet the grahams. the last reply by drake was trash tier. similar to Jay - z takeover was good but who tf remembers the takeover when nas released Ether?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

 

what on earth.... theres videos of drake kissing under age kids and mbb saying he dmd her when she was 13. 

 

drake has NO classics, he has 2 good ish albums (take care, nothing was the same) the rest are average at best. he has zero albums in the same stratosphere as GKMC , TPAB or Morales.  Ive seen him live 3 times and hes not good at all. i dont mind drake in terms of the odd catchy song and some mood music but theres levels to this sh*t and drake is nowhere near kendricks. 

Just look at those diss tracks as proof. drakes last reply was so bad.  His defence to being a pdf-file was "im too famous to do that and not get caught". Yikes. 

Kendrick doesnt care about streaming numbers, he is a different beast to drake.  Family matters wasnt bad but then got ethered by meet the grahams. the last reply by drake was trash tier. similar to Jay - z takeover was good but who tf remembers the takeover when nas released Ether?
 

Yeah sorry for the essay everyone, slow day in work. 

 

Most of that is entirely fair enough and I'd hold Kendrick's first two albums above any of Drake's work. But you could easily dismiss near enough all of music if you're holding it up to the standards of a Kendrick Lamar album.

 

My viewpoint is more to enjoy the spectacle as a rap fan rather than have a strong emotional attachment to either side. Ultimately we've got two multi millionaires in their mid-to-late thirties going at it with a deluxe version of a playground squabble and it's fantastic. Kendrick won because he's the better rapper, captured the narrative better and released the better songs.  But the fact that Drake fought back, landed some blows made the event better, I don't think that's deniable.

 

I don't think Kendrick's ultimate objective was to expose a *once because why would he bother with angles of attack like 'adonis has a sh*tty father', if he can prove far worse. His ultimate aim was to win the beef and he threw the kitchen sink at it and that was kind of thrilling. And not something you'd have previously imagined Kendrick doing, and that was fun too.

 

And you're right, Jay got ethered when Nas released Stillmatic in 2001. Battle well and truly won. But Jay-Z still managed a long and successful career after that and of course eventually signed Nas. And after Jay had retired and Nas had fallen off we had people like Lil Wayne and Rick Ross claiming to be best rapper alive. We've been spoilt since 2012.

 

There is a wider question about the lengths that these fellas go to make their point, the highly problematic nature of a lot of things that get said and those that get caught in the crossfire (usually women of course). But at their age, they're probably on their way down, maybe the next generation will manage to do a bit better on that front.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My assumption is that anyone who makes it big in the music industry is a terrible person until proven otherwise. Especially the men. 

 

The excess and temptation put in front of them, often clouded with drugs and alcohol...

 

And that's before the manipulation from the industry bosses.

 

Some are exposed, some it's kept under wraps. I'd imagine there are only small percentages who are clean 

Edited by efcfanwirral
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...