Theatre and Circus

Despite it's defenders on here I genuinely do feel that, much like Silver Hayes had, once there's a change at the top the whole field will be developed in a more exciting and new way. Until then, it's absolutely fine - but nowt special. 

8 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Despite it's defenders on here I genuinely do feel that, much like Silver Hayes had, once there's a change at the top the whole field will be developed in a more exciting and new way. Until then, it's absolutely fine - but nowt special. 

Couldnt really disagree more

how on earth can you even compare T&C to anything else out there? Its firmly in a field of its own

its one of the places that makes glastonbury what it is. 

as previously discussed big comedy names are not coming just because they change who books the area. There isnt the budget for it. Acts are playing for exposure, a ticket and probably free for smaller names and a very token fee for larger ones.

that isnt going to change regardless of who is booking it and 95% of well known comedy names are not accepting those terms so you’ll need to make do with the ones that will

i find there is always something new to discover in cabaret and they generally do have their finger on the pulse. The quality of acts is generally high and at times very high. You do get a few duds but thats to be expected

how would you develop or shake up the area for the better in a realistic and achievable way? 

Silver hayes is certainly better but people are over egging by how much.

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 1

years ago the cabaret line-up  was stuffed full of the best up and coming comedians, there were loads of peeps i first saw at glastonbury that would then be all over the tv in the following years, including :Simon Munnery; al  murray;  Chris Lynam; Malcolm Hardee; Simon Day; and others i've forgotten.

8 hours ago, Mich1268 said:

Screenshot_20240515_213237_Instagram.thumb.jpg.2977e9811b46522f34395bc878c746fc.jpg

Yes, I saw this on Facebook a couple of days back. Absolutely brilliant! That's one of my headliners sorted 😁

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, Lushroom said:

Screenshot_20240516_090004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.19536948e84bfbb2ae2d90fc8630894a.jpg

Screenshot_20240516_090033_Chrome.thumb.jpg.28169b31efad9d245e5a366efbbb2e4a.jpg

Multiple sets across the weekend for primary school assembly banger singalongs.  Genuinely really, really looking forward to this.

No sign of this on the full lineup...

On 5/16/2024 at 8:21 AM, buddiepaul said:

Agreed. If you have not seen Cirque Du Vulgar, you have got to pop in.  It really is a headline act - and quite an eye opener.

Are these the guys hanging bowling balls on chains from their flutes etc?

On 5/7/2024 at 1:33 PM, Memory Man said:

It still is

It really isn't unfortunately.

I think in part for reasons that have been touched on already: Glastonbury and festivals in general aren't as popular with younger people as it was 20 years ago. And especially younger people in the arts/comedy. So getting acts down for free tickets is much more difficult.

(And to be clear, I'm not saying Glastonbury isn't popular with young people, it clearly is, it's just not like it was in the past when for a young comic, Glasto was something to aspire to and idea of a free ticket for it would be incredible)

But I also think there's an element of it not really being booked that well... or I guess, coherently. You get some random up-and-comers dotted around (and a lot of those spots are going to women comics who have been overlooked for years, so I'm all for that) but it doesn't seem to come together that well.

Still, I like that after last years' Q&A about his new hip-hop album, this year Acaster is literally DJing on Saturday night with Nish, once again winning the "most blatant blag of a ticket" award...

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Still, I like that after last years' Q&A about his new hip-hop album, this year Acaster is literally DJing on Saturday night with Nish, once again winning the "most blatant blag of a ticket" award...

Shame it's not a stand-up set like I thought it was when he was on the poster, tho to be fair I was surprised when I saw that! 😄

On 5/16/2024 at 9:06 AM, Lushroom said:

Multiple sets across the weekend for primary school assembly banger singalongs.  Genuinely really, really looking forward to this.

Thank you SO much for sharing this!  Never heard of this guy, but this looks fantastic... will definitely check him out...  wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for you!

1 hour ago, Lushroom said:

Ah the Glebe wasn't listed originally, refreshed the page and it appeared, cheers!

The Glebe and several other small stages were missing - ah, that explains why I could only find one listing for Lekiddo Lord of the Lobsters!  Really had me worried for a second! Glastonbury legend.

16 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

We'll be running the T.U.R.D.I.S. escape room every day in Bella's Field from 10 until 7. If you like escape rooms or terrible (excellent) Dr Who/toilet puns then do come down! 

We tried to find you / this last year and came unstuck!

Do you have a more specific description of where you are please? Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

We tried to find you / this last year and came unstuck!

Do you have a more specific description of where you are please? Thanks!

Absolutely! In front of the Sensation Seekers Stage there’s a huge area filled with hammocks with a fence around them. We’re on the perimeter of the fence opposite the Cabaret tent 🙂

Edited by Justiceforcedave
  • Upvote 2

'Outside Circus' Stage - Do these acts move around or is it rooted to just outside the circus tent?

In 2022 on the Sunday afternoon we spent half an hour or so following a huge moving turtle with a DJ on top, spinning bangers. Got a feeling it was something random that we luckily stumbled upon but would love to find it again if possible! 😆

23 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

'Outside Circus' Stage - Do these acts move around or is it rooted to just outside the circus tent?

In 2022 on the Sunday afternoon we spent half an hour or so following a huge moving turtle with a DJ on top, spinning bangers. Got a feeling it was something random that we luckily stumbled upon but would love to find it again if possible! 😆

It's a separate, distinct stage across the field from the Circus Big Top.

22 minutes ago, CH0161 said:

Acts that move around tend to fall under the 'Walkabouts' section on the lineup. 

What your describing is the 'Disco Turtle' back again this year 🐢 😁