New Woodsies area

Chopmunky

5 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

It's also pertinent to mention that vendors are placed where Glastonbury wants them. They have no say in the matter.

Really?  I just thought certain spots would cost more than others due to location, so you picked your spot or "tier" at least.  So do they all cost the same and it's a lottery where you end up?  That seems mad.

7 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Really?  I just thought certain spots would cost more than others due to location, so you picked your spot or "tier" at least.  So do they all cost the same and it's a lottery where you end up?  That seems mad.

My parents bought a catering company years ago as part of their retirement/semi-retirement plans. They enquired into Glastonbury a few years back and that was what they were told.

16 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Many vendors do seem to end up in the same spot so surely that’s not just a lottery. 

52 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

The Park was already established when I went to my first in 2009, but there were loads of vendors in situ that year on the trackway near the entrance and on both sides of the Park.  That said, there were enough people camping in Park Home/Pennards etc. that they'd get footfall anyway, so less of a gamble.  With Woodsies, the only draw to be there is the main stage so it's not quite the same.  I guess campers from Wicket/Lime Kiln would pop there for food, but that's a lot less populous.

Good point about nearby camping. Hadn't factored that in.

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

It's also pertinent to mention that vendors are placed where Glastonbury wants them. They have no say in the matter.

The ultimate decision is with GFL, of course, but there's definitely cases where the vendor negotiates for a specific pitch or where a local area manager wants a specific vendor. So "no say" is overstating it slightly.

I assume it varies quite a bit by vendor as well based on what they bring to the table - for example I'm pretty confident in saying that the Tiny Tea Tent would be consulted over any intention to move them - whereas the pizza stall next door may not.

1 hour ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

I was just looking on the satellite image for a lone tree somewhere in the area then I realised this can't be an actual photo as it's not built yet!

Its a sh*tty low rez 3D render. 

Hopefully would look better in real life

1 hour ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

My two person shed at Sticklinch looked big on the picture, until my head was going through the back wall and my feet out the front door.

I was working on the gate near those

The 4 person ones were like clown cars when you saw everyone going in/coming out

1 minute ago, Euphoricape said:

Wonder if this will be the new stage to replace Williams Green size artists..? 

Looks more likely DJs, given the "in the round" setting. Let's hope not.

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Guess it's a bit chicken and egg. Good vendors aren't going to want to go there if footfall is low. I know it's not the same exactly, but what was the Park like when it first started? (started during a few years I wasn't going so was well established by the time I came back) Did it feel like a properly distinct area? A destination if you will? Were there good food options right away?

for sure

4 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Perfect for a huge silent disco then.

Silent discos make a huge amount of noise - Reading replaced their small silent disco tents with a large outdoor one in the main arena (right by the town centre) and it was louder than ever.

People screaming mr brightside at 3am is not quiet!

31 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I think a lot of newbies are going to get this tree stage and the Greenpeace tree confused. 

Good, all part of the experience.

My first festival I managed to end up in entirely the wrong small stage in the wrong field (tried to go to Small World, ended up at Little Massive). I knew something was wrong when they started soundchecking, and it sounded like a pseudo metal band.