Paul Currie cancelled by glastonbury

Memory Man

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The festival giving away 20 pairs of tickets with the entry requirements of donating to Palestine doesn't indicate a pro Israel stance. Definitely something more, maybe it is simply the concern that this person might do something similar at Glastonbury in calling out individual audience members and it ending up in the press? More an issue with the method than the message?

They have actually been very specific to not say it's going to Palestine. There are lots of conflicts happening in the world today as my Ukrainian colleagues could tell you but yes it seems to me that it might not be his views but more his manner in putting across his views.

image.thumb.png.802a20191ea2342a37292d7aa9de1496.png

Edited by gigpusher
added a sentence

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I'm not sure why you seem to be targeting my replies, firstly look at my replies and all I have said is other artists who have voiced pro-Palestinian views are on the bill. I haven't actually mentioned my own views on the topic at all.

If you are interested in my view, my view is that governments of countries should be seen to take a stance against terrorism but that it should be proportionate. The government of Israel have lost all legitimacy in my eyes for behaving in an appalling manner which has been completely disproportionate and has only put their own hostages in further danger. I believe this is exactly how many Jewish people in Israel also feel. I don't blame Jewish people for this I blame a horrendous right wing government. I was brought up as catholic in the Republic of Ireland and moved to Manchester the year after the IRA bombed it. I am more than aware of how it feels to feel targeted and to be on the receiving end of abuse for something that you don't condone or agree with.

My only must see of the entire festival so far is a Jewish artist. I don't hold her responsible for the actions of the Israeli government.

Apologies, got caught up in the general discussion. My old school leftist leanings had always had me grateful to Israel for finding a home from the outset for the communists and atheists around the world who felt doubly vulnerable after WW2. They were the architects of a great secular democracy surrounded by threatening Theocracies and have contributed hugely to the world of science, culture, philosophy - everything. The fact that secularism has allowed them to be at the forefront of gay rights, women’s right, and when they are not under attack human rights generally used to be celebrated by the left. Netanyahu is a monster but he can be ousted by the people of Israel. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

I don't know anything about the guy. Is his actual material controversial? I don't want to inadvertently send my support to Bernard Manning.

Is it possible they're just shaking the lineup up a bit? No one has a god given right to be rebooked over and over.

No his material is not even slightly controversial

it is possible but also unlikely given paul currie has performed 13 years straight and has openly confirmed he has been barred from performing

The crowdfunder link has all the details.

its a piss poor decision and yes echoes the corbyn film cancellation

11 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For further context, there's a long post halfway down this thread from someone who was there at the time

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=105718.60#quickreply_anchor

As noted elsewhere Currie can be aggressive to audience members and seems to have some other sketchy behaviours, but I dont think this is something they should lose their livelihood over.

Yes, this is extremely important

the bbc and other news articles did not have all the facts and buried him just like soho did. A complete travesty.

11 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

He was a prick in the SoHo theatre and by what some have said here he’s been a bit of a prick at glasto. No loss, f**k him. Inclusivity means more than shouting your own opinions and expecting everyone to like them. 

Were u at the theatre?

I dont expect the festival to change their decision at this point as it sounds final

However if you’d be inclined to contact / email the festival in support of paul as i have, if you feel strongly enough about it, i’d be grateful.

Paul DM’d me on instagram in response to a comment and asked if people would contact the festival in support of him.

It seems clear that his income and livelihood is being severely affected by this and it just doesnt feel at all deserved to me.

Lets leave the israel / palestine discussion for elsewhere but if you would be able to contact glastonbury it would be appreciated. I think they deserve to hear that some attendees are unimpressed by this.

22 hours ago, clarkete said:

Isn't that still under review? 

From Thursday "The tribunal will deliberate on potential sanctions for Dr Benn, which could range from no action to striking her from the medical register."

The sanction has to be decided, but the decision has been made was my understanding. 

Her actions have absolutely no impact on their medical fitness to practice. It's a ridiculous and very worrying precedent at yet more stifling of free speech. 

21 hours ago, Looother said:

At Coachella for example towards the end of Young Fathers' set Graham Hastings shouted "Ceasefire now!" and "Free Palestine!". I don't really have an issue with that, but I'd say that ideally it should be something like: Ceasefire now - Free the hostages - Overthrow Hamas - Free Palestine. Hastings didn't say anything that suggests he supports Hamas or that he does not support innocent Israelis, but I did find the omissions curious (and I find the perception among some on the left that Hamas are defending the oppressed rather than another means of oppression completely bizarre). 

Genuine question, would you be willing to support the “Free Palestine” movement if it also includes everything you have stated?

On the “Free the Hostages” comment, I think pretty much all commentary I’ve heard also includes this. As well as condemnation of Hamas. I’d also question the indiscriminate nature of the bombing of Gaza - if hostage safety is a priority (which many of the family’s agree with).

I think the best way of freeing the hostages is carpet-bombing civilian architecture in the world's largest open air prison.

Do we need to state 'free the hostages, down with Hamas' every time we call for a ceasefire in the West Bank?

Edited by Isaact
  • Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Genuine question, would you be willing to support the “Free Palestine” movement if it also includes everything you have stated?

On the “Free the Hostages” comment, I think pretty much all commentary I’ve heard also includes this. As well as condemnation of Hamas. I’d also question the indiscriminate nature of the bombing of Gaza - if hostage safety is a priority (which many of the family’s agree with).

My current and quite longstanding position (though I don't think I'm necessarily right and I'm always learning) is that I believe in the Jewish people's right to self-determination and, sadly, the longstanding need for a secure, defendable Jewish state as a place of refuge. Given that we are where we are I'd say that looks like Israel in approximately 1967 borders. I also support the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination - I think having a Palestinian state split across two non-contiguous areas is not at all good, but again we are where we are. It would then be up to that state to decide who it offers citizenship to, but irrespective of that Palestinian refugees and their descendants in neighbouring states should be freed from the camps many have been restricted to for generations - it is not just Israel (and not just neighbouring states either) that has treated the Palestinians inexcusably badly. I think none of that is possible without new leadership in Israel, in both Gaza and the West Bank, and in Iran - whatever happens elsewhere peace in the Middle East is probably impossible unless the people of Iran win their fight against the Islamic Republic.

As you say, the indiscriminate nature of the bombing in Gaza, at least at the start of the conflict (maybe still, I don't know, though they seem to have toned it down a bit) was repulsive and hugely counterproductive. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Isaact said:

I think the best way of freeing the hostages is carpet-bombing civilian architecture in the world's largest open air prison.

Do we need to state 'free the hostages, down with Hamas' every time we call for a ceasefire in the West Bank?

It would certainly make me more comfortable if you did, as so much of the “peace” coalition has people who very much support Hamas, and who very much do not care about what happens to the Jews of Israel, and who are very much anti-Semitic. So, yes, mentioning you support Israel’s right to exist, that you are against Hamas, that you are not for the murder of Jews living in Israel, yes I would personally appreciate that. (But with your use of the phrase, “open air prison,” I won’t hold my breath.)

I’m fairly nervous about Glastonbury this year. There’s a real carelessness in leftist statements on the war, they seem to be completley unaware about anti-semistism, both within their coalition and within themselves. 

I’m probably going to completely avoid Shangri-La and the newly named “Peace” stage, as I quite like Glastonbury, but am fairly certain some areas of the fest and the acts on it will be drifting into anti-Semitic rhetoric this year as I’ve been watching the whole left do this, and I’d be trepidatious wearing or showing anything that identified myself as Jewish in those areas for fear of being “confronted” by a stranger about “how I feel” about Israel, which, by the way, is anti-Semitic - to see someone recognizably Jewish (wearing a Star of David necklace, for example). and starting an aggressive conversation about Israel with them (which is happening a lot to people in leftist spaces that dare show themselves like that, by the way).

I followed the Corbin movie last year and was happy it got reinstated (or was never removed, seemed like it may have just been some confusion). I’m all for these things being discussed, but yes the flags and slogans and even some of these posts and their language do make me a bit uncomfortable and nervous (though I also appreciate the posts here in support).

I was, however sad about that Russian DJ (Nina Kraviz) being removed from Arcadia in 2022, though. Because of a whisper campaign about her views. Everyone here seemed fine with that, which I thought was unfortunate. 

And while I’m also against this man being cancelled for this incident, I’m also fairly nervous about acts making Jewish people very uncomfortable or even feel unsafe with carelessly aggressive rhetoric, which makes it hard for me to want to petition the festival to get him back. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

For most of the conflicts in the world during much of my life I tend to think I'd like to ask for a ceasefire.

Everything else comes once folks aren't killing each other.

I appreciate I'm a simplistic old hippy, although to be honest that's always been quite consistent with going to this festival.

Edited by clarkete
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, assorted said:

It would certainly make me more comfortable if you did, as so much of the “peace” coalition has people who very much support Hamas, and who very much do not care about what happens to the Jews of Israel, and who are very much anti-Semitic. So, yes, mentioning you support Israel’s right to exist, that you are against Hamas, that you are not for the murder of Jews living in Israel, yes I would personally appreciate that. (But with your use of the phrase, “open air prison,” I won’t hold my breath.)

I’m fairly nervous about Glastonbury this year. There’s a real carelessness in leftist statements on the war, they seem to be completley unaware about anti-semistism, both within their coalition and within themselves. 

I’m probably going to completely avoid Shangri-La and the newly named “Peace” stage, as I quite like Glastonbury, but am fairly certain some areas of the fest and the acts on it will be drifting into anti-Semitic rhetoric this year as I’ve been watching the whole left do this, and I’d be trepidatious wearing or showing anything that identified myself as Jewish in those areas for fear of being “confronted” by a stranger about “how I feel” about Israel, which, by the way, is anti-Semitic - to see someone recognizably Jewish (wearing a Star of David necklace, for example). and starting an aggressive conversation about Israel with them (which is happening a lot to people in leftist spaces that dare show themselves like that, by the way).

I followed the Corbin movie last year and was happy it got reinstated (or was never removed, seemed like it may have just been some confusion). I’m all for these things being discussed, but yes the flags and slogans and even some of these posts and their language do make me a bit uncomfortable and nervous (though I also appreciate the posts here in support).

I was, however sad about that Russian DJ (Nina Kraviz) being removed from Arcadia in 2022, though. Because of a whisper campaign about her views. Everyone here seemed fine with that, which I thought was unfortunate. 

And while I’m also against this man being cancelled for this incident, I’m also fairly nervous about acts making Jewish people very uncomfortable or even feel unsafe with carelessly aggressive rhetoric, which makes it hard for me to want to petition the festival to get him back. 

I’m in my 60’s and have been ‘on the left’ my whole life. This relatively new shift of the hard left and hard right ‘swapping sides’ on Israel makes me sick. Believe me, there are plenty of us still out there who have your back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The issue with the festival for this comedian is obviously not his Pro-Palestinian views. Otherwise why would so many acts who have the same publicly voiced views still be on the bill.

I don't think we will find out why he has been canned unless the festival releases a statement but reading those quotes from the Soho Theatre I don't think he sounds particularly good at his job.....

"That's when he told them that if they didn't like they can get the f**k out of his show. And for anyone who didn't like it to also get out."

Surely any comedian worth his salt should be able to engage with the audience in a more positive way than that? 

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

For most of the conflicts in the world during much of my life I tend to think I'd like to ask for a ceasefire.

Everything else comes once folks aren't killing each other.

I appreciate I'm a simplistic old hippy, although to be honest that's always been quite consistent with going to this festival.

Unfortunately I have ran out of upvotes.

Otherwise I'd give you one.

Finbarr Saunders (@finbar_saunders) / X

10 hours ago, assorted said:

It is an open air prison. What else would you call it. 

Israel holds many more Palestinian hostages than Hamas. 

Lets keep this on topic....this issue/thread is about Paul Currie not been asked to return to Glastonbury. There doesn't seem to be any evidence from the festival that this has anything to do with his political views unless I am mistaken?

I doubt we will ever find out why but it appears that it can only really be to do with soho theatre and the mainstream media and trying to cancel him without all of the facts.

what else could it be?

At the end of the day he has completed at least 60-70

shows without incident at the festival. So what is their problem all of a sudden?