Guitar based acts at Glasto 2024

markfaulkneruk

lot's have been mentioned but I would add...

-Yard Act - They are post punky but definitely a bit of britpop in there.  Sound a bit like Pulp, Blur, The Fall

- The Breeders - classic american 90's alt rock band.  You will have heard the song Cannonball at indie discos up and down the land over the last 30 years.  Kim Deal was in the Pixies and sit next to them and Pavement, Sonic Youth.

-Newdad - released debut album earlier this year.  shoegazey 90's indie rock.  In a similar vein to Wolf Alice.

1 minute ago, Jacko45 said:

How so?

Reflection of what I value and the festival's direction diverging. Not to sound glib but I feel sorry for kids going to Glasters who like guitar music nowadays. I'm old, ignore me, honestly. Its like asking a pterosaur their opinion on taxation policy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Reflection of what I value and the festival's direction diverging. Not to sound glib but I feel sorry for kids going to Glasters who like guitar music nowadays. I'm old, ignore me, honestly. Its like asking a pterosaur their opinion on taxation policy.

I'm still confused, are you saying there isn't enough? 

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Mate, you should try being a rap fan who likes festivals.

Reckon English Teacher are primed for the yearly early Woodsies slot that gets absolutely rammed.

edit: actually scratch that didn’t somebody here already have info they were third down Leftfield on Saturday?

Edited by FloopFiller

34 minutes ago, Nduja said:

Mate, you should try being a rap fan who likes festivals.

I feel your pain. Almost everything (and there's not much) is mainstream and/or grime.

I remember seeing Doomtree at Silver Hayes, but they put them on the graveyard shift (opening on a Sunday!); and Deltron 3030 with their band and mini orchestra in mid afternoon. Great sets, but they need more good rap, on better stages and better times.

Very useful thread! Know most of these already but now added a few new names for us to check out. As others have said, check out Nothing But Thieves, Bombay Bicycle, NewDad and English Teacher. All on our list 

Still hoping to see a few others on the line up - hopefully Sprints and also The Snuts if you like Indie rock. 

1 hour ago, markfaulkneruk said:

I feel your pain. Almost everything (and there's not much) is mainstream and/or grime.

I remember seeing Doomtree at Silver Hayes, but they put them on the graveyard shift (opening on a Sunday!); and Deltron 3030 with their band and mini orchestra in mid afternoon. Great sets, but they need more good rap, on better stages and better times.

Mate I'd kill for some mainstream US rap, especially if it's from the south. Grime is very much for me! But yeah, consistently awful for US stuff. Denzel Curry at Shangri and Vince Staples on West Holts are probably my highlights over the years. Obviously the one year they book K-Dot is the one year I can't go due to recent parenthood.

They did have Earl Sweatshirt on Lonely Hearts last year but he was absolutely terrible from what I saw.

Just an observation, but as someone who plays guitar (a bit) I don't think you can pigeonhole it really.  Guitars feature heavily in most genre, but when you say "guitar music" most people tend to think rock/indie/punk/metal.  Don't get me wrong, I love that stuff, but I also really like soul, Motown, old school R&B and disco.  They're all guitar heavy but wouldn't be classed as "guitar" music.  Odd really.

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

I was a big fan of Drenge. Love all 3 albums and superb live act. I've no idea why they seem to have disappeared but it's a big loss. 

YES! - Drenge were class, met them one night at a PEACE gig. 

They were talking about being so skint while touring, they did a festival in Poland and could only get fish in milk in the artist area LOL. 

12 hours ago, Sawman said:

Mannequin Pussy sound great and definitely are guitar based. Agree though that this genre is thin in the ground this year (so far at least) after being spoilt last year. 

They're doing a gig in a small venue in Milton Keynes, near to where I live, on the Friday of Glastonbury weekend. Worth getting in on it?