Glastonbury lineup poster 2024

Crazyfool01

9 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The lack of Williams Green a real pisser upon proceedings. 

👆🏽 this with bells on. 

The poster is never especially relevant for me - ironically, given the sea of disappointment on here, it's probably got more for me this year than most years! But it has reminded me just how much I love seeing stuff in Williams Green and, to a lesser extent, the now retired Rabbit Hole. I guess I'll feel that even more this year. Hope the RH gets a proper live band replacement for The Park. 

Ben

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

But there was a good reason not to have it there on Thursdays, it became too overcrowded. 

To me that sounds more like a reason to book lesser known acts than to ditch it entirely - if WG had a full bill of virtual unknowns on the Thursday, then it'd still draw good crowds but without there being as much of an "appointment" that everyone tried to get to.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

To me that sounds more like a reason to book lesser known acts than to ditch it entirely - if WG had a full bill of virtual unknowns on the Thursday, then it'd still draw good crowds but without there being as much of an "appointment" that everyone tried to get to.

Wasn't the issue, simply that these days everyone comes wed or thu so increasingly whatever they had would pack the field as the night wore on? 

Not like the old days when loads arrived Friday 🧓

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Wasn't the issue, simply that these days everyone comes wed or thu so increasingly whatever they had would pack the field as the night wore on? 

Not like the old days when loads arrived Friday 🧓

I think there was certainly an element of showing off on the part of the booker(s). Though that's not unique to WG, plenty stages have done that and will probably continue to do so.

Their final year, in 2022, on the Thursday they had:
- Melanie C (doing a DJ set, but not marked as such on the lineup so plenty thought it'd be live)
- Bastille (doing a heavily hinted at "secret" set)
- Elvana (guaranteed to draw a decent crowd at festivals, especially when there's minimal competition)
- Guilty Pleasures (likewise)

I won't guess what the numbers would have been if it had been effective unknowns instead of that - but I do think those acts definitely brought a decent number of extra bodies into the area.

My review.

Not the hardest hitting Glastonbury lineup, although there are a number of bookings that I reckon will be super f**king good on the day.

Dua, SZA, LCD, Little Simz, Shania, Seventeen, Olivia Dean, Camila Cabello, Avril Lavigne, Bombay, Bloc Party, Confidence Man, Justice, Sugababes, NoName, Sampha, Orbital, Barry will all be great I think.

Dua, SZA, LCD, Simz, Shania, Avril, Bombay, Bloc Party, Confdience Man, Sampha is enough to make me happy at the moment. Hopefully I can see them all.

3 hours ago, incident said:

I think there was certainly an element of showing off on the part of the booker(s). Though that's not unique to WG, plenty stages have done that and will probably continue to do so.

Their final year, in 2022, on the Thursday they had:
- Melanie C (doing a DJ set, but not marked as such on the lineup so plenty thought it'd be live)
- Bastille (doing a heavily hinted at "secret" set)
- Elvana (guaranteed to draw a decent crowd at festivals, especially when there's minimal competition)
- Guilty Pleasures (likewise)

I won't guess what the numbers would have been if it had been effective unknowns instead of that - but I do think those acts definitely brought a decent number of extra bodies into the area.

Also add Deptford Northern Soul Club and Michael Eavis and his band! It was rammed all day.

I was very disappointed when the lineup came out but looking at it again I’ve got a few acts that I’ve wanted to see before and haven’t. 
Paul Heaton, Cyndi Lauper, Micheal Kiwanuka, Keane, Jungle, Steel Pulse and  London Grammar.

Plus Coldplay and Orbital I should be ok.

Edited by westholtschic

Biggest issue with the lineup I think is how overly familiar so much of it looks. Obviously this is far more of a problem for regulars than first timers, but there are a lot of acts there from 2022 and other recent festivals who’ve been bumped up the lineup - Idles third Other to Other headliner, Little Simz Holts headliner to Pyramid sub, Burna Boy Other sub to Pyramid sub are just three from 2022, and then there are all the other Glastonbury/UK festival standards filling a lot of the rest of the lineup - Disclosure, Paloma Faith, Paul Heaton, Two Door Cinema Club, Anne-Marie etc. This year seems a bit of a crap touring year overall so that obviously comes in to play, but it really does feel like the goodwill and low budget just isn’t going as far anymore.

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2016 had oomph that's lacking here - Art Garfunkel, Ronnie Spector, ZZ Top, Beck, etc.

You add a Chaka Khan, Stevie Nicks and a Pulp and you have a little more of that oomph. 

Still truly baffled at the former. 

1 minute ago, FloopFiller said:

Biggest issue with the lineup I think is how overly familiar so much of it looks. Obviously this is far more of a problem for regulars than first timers, but there are a lot of acts there from 2022 and other recent festivals who’ve been bumped up the lineup - Idles third Other to Other headliner, Little Simz Holts headliner to Pyramid sub, Burna Boy Other sub to Pyramid sub are just three from 2022, and then there are all the other Glastonbury/UK festival standards filling a lot of the rest of the lineup - Disclosure, Paloma Faith, Paul Heaton, Two Door Cinema Club, Anne-Marie etc. This year seems a bit of a crap touring year overall so that obviously comes in to play, but it really does feel like the goodwill and low budget just isn’t going as far anymore.

I feel like this but think some of this is my own doing. I go to festivals every year, I regularly go to gigs, and my list of acts I’d love to see but not had the chance to yet is getting smaller and smaller every year.

Also think it’s a mentality thing. When you see acts when they are small, you become a blind to their growth and struggle to imagine them in high slots. I have friends who have this view often, they will say stuff like “I saw Dua in the John Peel a few years ago… I don’t see her as a headliner”.

I still see Bicep as this small DJ act that couldn’t sell out venues. When they get massive billings and huge crowds it feels odd to me. It’s definitely a shared experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

You add a Chaka Khan, Stevie Nicks and a Pulp and you have a little more of that oomph. 

I think with inflation even the “cheaper” or “mid-level” acts that they used to pull in smaller slots are getting harder to secure. Doesn’t help when these acts can headline other events instead. 

Edited by M42

I’ve counted 26 acts from the poster I’d want to see. 

I’m sure there’ll be more once I delve deeper into some of the acts I’m unaware of. 

Once the rest of the line up drops and in particular Silver Hayes there could well be over 50 acts on my list, more than enough for a top weekend. 

20 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Yeah we really were putting a lot of faith in those Pyramid sub/Other headliners delivering the goods, maybe too much so, and although I’m seriously stoked about LCD > Dua, it’s hard to argue that they’re a strong or even suitable sub, and the others aren’t exactly premiere bookings either even though I think Simz and Burna Boy are cool choices (Idles and Disclosure much less so…)

Chaka missing is baffling, and I’m now wondering if money was the issue when she was apparently booked and then bailed from 2020.

32 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Exactly this.  I haven’t got a ticket this year and I’d normally be devastated but looking at the lineup there’s nobody that I’m upset to miss, all the people I like I’ve seen or could catch somewhere else very easily. No big exciting bookings and nobody who costs an £80-£100 ticket which I’d not pay for at an individual gig that I’d decide to catch as they’re at Glastonbury for free (I know it’s not free). 

I’ll certainly be missing the place during that weekend but the lineup…. Nah

I worked on the Thursday (2pm-10pm) last year and it was a bit of a relief not having to try and navigate the site/ get stuck in a bottleneck whilst the few acts playing were on.

Had spent the past 5/6 festivals queuing to get into the Temple at opening. Always great fun in there but, even if I’m not working this year, Thursday is a chill day for me now. Far too many people trying to get into far few things.

The Seventeen booking is not getting enough attention on here... a completely new genre. Couldn't help but have a brief scroll through Instagram comments on the poster to see how wider audiences are reacting to it. Out of over 3k comments, half of them are like 'omg seventeen!!!'

What is happening 🤣

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

No defending those Saturday night headliner choices though. Total shite. Even Jessie Ware who I like is just a totally uninspired 2022 bump up who I don’t really fancy ending my night with, although might end up doing through lack of choice.

I saw Jessie Ware on tour and it was great, but I know what you mean.

Wonder if it's any worse than Friday night last year, mind.