Arcade Fire

O'Doyle Rules

f**k it, id almost definitely be there clashes pending, and I was saying a day or two ago that this would be the ideal scenario for me - get to see them do Funeral and not feel guilty about paying to see them.

Surprised Glastonbury have gone for this if it’s actually happening as it’ll undoubtedly cause a bit of fuss now that it’s out there… but I doubt anybody will care on the day tbh.

3 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

@O'Doyle Rules any elaboration on how you know this or how confident you are about it? Pretty big bit of info knowing a secret set this early on - bet the festival are always fuming when this stuff gets out, especially before the actual lineup 😅

So fuming, in fact, they might decide it’s not worth it…

2 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

So fuming, in fact, they might decide it’s not worth it…

Eh, controversy aside, Arcade Fire are still a massive band and having them do a secret set would be a big deal so I doubt the festival will nix it because it’s already out there. 

If word spreads and causes the controversy to simmer back up, though, might cause repercussions I suppose if the festival decides they cba with the grief, but honestly, I think people are largely over it or didn’t care or know in the first place, at least in the real world and not in music forums.

Just now, emmanuel said:

Not really, misconduct and abuse doesn't just disappear over time.

I agree, but the court of public opinion seems to have largely fallen in favour of ‘it’s fine, keep booking them for festivals/gigs’ and people are continuing to go to these shows so unfortunately he seems to have gotten away with it relatively scathe-free. They might not be  favoured in the indie world so much anymore, but seems like overall they’re just gonna keep on truckin’.

18 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

I agree, but the court of public opinion seems to have largely fallen in favour of ‘it’s fine, keep booking them for festivals/gigs’ and people are continuing to go to these shows so unfortunately he seems to have gotten away with it relatively scathe-free. They might not be  favoured in the indie world so much anymore, but seems like overall they’re just gonna keep on truckin’.

So why aren’t they being booked for Uk gigs and festivals?

9 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I was a little surprised they didn't do any last year but that one wasn't as befuddling because it wasn't the first time an act did mainland Europe without visiting the UK. Another such trip, however, would raise more questions if UK gig bookers now looked at them as persona non grata.

8 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

I’d say the terrible allegations may be playing a part in this, but I think more-so is the lack of new material.

If they had a new album confirmed for this year, then I’m sure they’d still be in the mix with the bookers.  

Just wishful thinking and more pot stirring given I am struggling with 0 lineup news 😄 Having listened to it yesterday then saw the Irish gigs announced, felt like a "ahhh this is a perfect glasto secret set booking".

Agree, though unfortunately - think the festival would probably stay well clear. No need to bring unnecessary negative press on itself when you have many bands able to do it.

Pretty sure AF have been doing festivals for a while though right?

If they do though, call me the oracle.

Has glastonbury booked a seriously questionable booking in recent years? Perhaps Kanye but maybe that was before the more sinister stuff?