Arise Sir Eavis

Gnomicide

3 hours ago, Superscally said:

CBE doesn't make you a sir...

After @paulshaneposted I did a very brief search on the net and the first article I found indicated that he was right. However, since your post I looked into it further and found out that you are right. There's evidently false info out there on this.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

After @paulshaneposted I did a very brief search on the net and the first article I found indicated that he was right. However, since your post I looked into it further and found out that you are right. There's evidently false info out there on this.

yeah, I rechecked and there is a lot of conflicting info out there, but it seems CBE is not a Sir, every day's a school day 🙂

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Briefly spoke to him this morning and as you can imagine, he's well pleased with his honour. He doesn't have a date yet on when it will be awarded or by who.

Further to this, apparently he turned down the same honour quite a few years ago and only accepted it this time because of who nominated him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I thought the nominator wouldn’t necessarily be known, during the process it’s supposed to be strictly confidential. It needs two others supporting the nomination as well. 

A good friend of mine has just received an MBE but I don’t believe she knows who nominated her.

This nominee is very well known to Michael and I guess told him after he had received the honour. 

13 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

This nominee is very well known to Michael and I guess told him after he had received the honour. 

Melvin Benn, looking to get one back 😅

22 hours ago, paulshane said:

yeah, I rechecked and there is a lot of conflicting info out there, but it seems CBE is not a Sir, every day's a school day 🙂

Come on, a Knight is a Knight and a CBE ain't a Knight 😊

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

Should have told them to shove it where the sun don't shine.

Yeah, this. Not that being in my good books is important to anyone ofc, and Michael Eavis is already fairly well established in the upper echelons of my good books, but he'd be top, top tier if he turned it down.

Ridiculous anachronism in the 21st century and for me accepting the honour is acknowledging that it should exist, when its a massive crock of bollocks and endorsing hereditary privilege. But that said, if he wants it, then good luck to him 👍

Okay it's not directly relevant to M.E., but this sums it up

"Me? I thought, OBE me? Up yours, I thought. I get angry when I hear that word 'empire'; it reminds me of slavery, it reminds of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised... Benjamin Zephaniah OBE – no way Mr Blair, no way Mrs Queen. I am profoundly anti-empire."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Yeah, this. Not that being in my good books is important to anyone ofc, and Michael Eavis is already fairly well established in the upper echelons of my good books, but he'd be top, top tier if he turned it down.

Ridiculous anachronism in the 21st century and for me accepting the honour is acknowledging that it should exist, when its a massive crock of bollocks and endorsing hereditary privilege. But that said, if he wants it, then good luck to him 👍

There's nothing heredity or privilege with a knighthood. Nowadays it's just a title given as recognition for good work.

Even grown up states have a way of honouring good work.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

There's nothing heredity or privilege with a knighthood. Nowadays it's just a title given as recognition for good work.

Even grown up states have a way of honouring good work.

Its dished out by King Sausagefingers, so therefore its a massive nonsense. Benjamin Zephaniah is as ever far more erudite and precise than me, and if he thought it was bollocks then i would very much agree. 

Edited by balti-pie

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Its dished out by King Sausagefingers, so therefore its a massive nonsense. Benjamin Zephaniah is as ever far more erudite and precise than me, and if he thought it was bollocks then i would very much agree. 

Even grown up states have the head of state hand out the honours.

Benjamin was worthy of being honoured same as Eavis is.

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So does this mean he’s allowed to drive his herd of cows over Westminster bridge or something like that? Perks like that seem to come with these honours. 

Citizens of Chester are permitted to shoot (with a longbow) any Welshman found loitering within the City walls after midnight. The wording is very specific however so best not make the mistake of shooting a woman. 

Edited by Blisterpack

17 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

So does this mean he’s allowed to drive his herd of cows over Westminster bridge or something like that? Perks like that seem to come with these honours. 

https://www.cityam.com/why-freemen-city-london-driving-sheep-across-london-bridge/

He touches on why he accepted it in the Q&A 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/michael-eavis-awarded-knighthood-in-the-new-year-honours-list/

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 1