Arise Sir Eavis

Gnomicide

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

I'd like to know how much?

Is anyone keeping score? ☝️

The Tax Office and/or His Majesties Excise & Customs (or whatever they are called these days) maybe?

Greenpeace, CND, Water Aid, Shelter and the like possibly individual tallies?

34 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

The Tax Office and/or His Majesties Excise & Customs (or whatever they are called these days) maybe?

Greenpeace, CND, Water Aid, Shelter and the like possibly individual tallies?

gfl normally has a list of who has benefitted and by how much, lots of local schools, sports clubs,  and carnival clubs, etc, on there.

Edited by Neil

Congratulations Michael, one of the more deserved awards I've seen in recent years... He deserves it for his contributions to music and culture alone. But with the charity work too, it's mind blowing that it's taken until now. 

On the honours system in general, meh, I have no strong opinions either way. We need a system for recognising great contributions to society, and that's exactly what it is. If the Royal family really are all that many people claim they are these days, a tourist attraction adding almost £2Bn to the UK economy each year, then might as well use them for this too, to add a bit of 'prestige' to the honour for those who've earned it. I dislike the current government way more than I could ever dislike a fairly meaningless figurehead monarchy system. 

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

to the honour for those who've earned it. 

I still  don't see why the royals should still fit into the system. Yes, maybe the royals may earn the economy a couple of billion. How much do 'they' cost us? No idea, me. What I do know (or at least 'think') is that they are leeches, and leeches we can do without. They represent a 'system' of control over others which shouldn't exist in today's day and age.

f**k 'em!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oneeye said:

This sums up all that's wrong with these awards, shame Michael has accepted, would've  made a bigger impact statement if he'd politely declined imho 

i'd have liked it if he'd done that, but i get why he accepted.

57 minutes ago, HastingsBoy said:

I think it's very disappointing he's accepted the award. The whole awards system is an absolute joke anyway. 

its not a joke when someone deserving like Michael get an award its all the underserving's that makes it a joke.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oneeye said:

This sums up all that's wrong with these awards, shame Michael has accepted, would've  made a bigger impact statement if he'd politely declined imho 

He may have done that previously anyway, but we wouldn't have known. 

2 hours ago, faymondo said:

Even my early footballing hero "King Kenny" Dalglish (I refuse to call him Sir Kenny) took one despite fighting the same establishment for years over Hillsborough.

The same establishment? 

Wasn't he first nominated by Labour? 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/08/kenny-dalglish-is-knighted-in-queens-birthday-honours-list

Just now, clarkete said:

He may have done that previously anyway, but we wouldn't have known. 

from the new interview on the official site it sounds like he wouldn't turn a knighthood down cos he knows his mum would be disappointed with him if he did.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

from the new interview on the official site it sounds like he wouldn't turn a knighthood down cos he knows his mum would be disappointed with him if he did.

I think family or the causes people represent are a powerful motivator for many. 

Whilst there are a dozen or two who get the headlines every time, if you check the full list there are usually hundreds who have spent a lifetime in public service or many who've done selfless things in the military. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/new-year-honours-list-2024-in-full-2829139

However they should at the very least have replaced Empire years ago in the relevant ones, Truss shouldn't have had an honours list and Downing Street are bending the truth in her case as Blair and Brown didn't have resignation honours. 

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Wasn't he first nominated by Labour? 

Labour/Tory just different cheeks of the same arse. Probably not for this thread. 

If people want them then as I said it is up to them. 

It's hard to very live a life true to beliefs. Said typing this from his bought council house 🥴

Fair play to him..as I said elsewhere this means Glastonbury festival is secure for ever now... imagine that as your legacy...as I said fair play to him 😉😂😉.. shame I might not be there to see him singing I did it my way one last time..