Glamping...how many

guypjfreak

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

So it seems the neighbouring farms and land owners exert great power and influence, with the festival relatively impotent. So they’re driving the glamping expansion and consequently changing the festival in a major way. 

Some just get paid by the festival directly for festival land or use of their fields as car parks.

Overall, use of land and licence are controlled by the council, not the festival. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Keeping it on topic, imagine how rammed it would be if the glamping sites didn't exist? How many more campers are we trying to shoehorn back inside the fence? 1000? 2000? 5000?

I'd guess there's at most 2,000 people in these "glamping" sites (just an estimate), which would amount to less than 2% of the total punters on site.

Not sure that's enough to change a demographic in any meaningful way.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

and the rest if we include worthy view / sticklinch as Glamping  .... and yes I know its basically a pre pitched tent .... where's that space gone ? !!

Worthy View has been there the best part of a decade now and before it’s introduction it wasn’t camping fields anyway, so it hasn’t made any difference to the space available.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Worthy View has been there the best part of a decade now and before it’s introduction it wasn’t camping fields anyway, so it hasn’t made any difference to the space available.

Yep I wasn’t saying different … was meaning the space gained by people moving off site … I guess just taken away by increases in capacity overall 

17 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I'd guess there's at most 2,000 people in these "glamping" sites (just an estimate), which would amount to less than 2% of the total punters on site.

Not sure that's enough to change a demographic in any meaningful way.

Yeah, I don't think so either. It's certainly not my experience. It must ease the camping space inside the walls though

26 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Although it was Tangering Fields for a few years prior....

Was it something in between? 

I'm sure there was a situation where the previous operator went bust or something and that's when GF took it over?

And does anyone know what's at Anne Goode's place now?  That was Tangerine at some point I think.  

24 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Worthy view was padpods before. It went bust the week before 2011 fest. The eavii stepped in and worthy view was born. I know cos i was booked on for it

Thanks that what I was thinking of! 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Was it something in between? 

I'm sure there was a situation where the previous operator went bust or something and that's when GF took it over?

And does anyone know what's at Anne Goode's place now?  That was Tangerine at some point I think.  

MyHab were the company that went bust in 2011.

Anne Goode's fields were rented out to Tangerine Fields who still use them.  I've no knowledge of the Goode family being involved with it other than making a few quid from TF....

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's interesting. Was that an official thing? Or was it on the back of the riots in 1990?

Riots lol

Madness yeah but nothing riots...2000 was abit crazy i agree 😂

6 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Riots lol

Madness yeah but nothing riots...2000 was abit crazy i agree 😂

Errrr, yeah riots. Errr...LOL.

"In 1990, riots broke out between travellers and festival security, resulting in 235 arrests and £50,000 of damage. Eavis cheerfully describes Molotov cocktails being thrown on his farm..."

"There have been a few near-end moments for Glastonbury: There was that time in 1990 when 150 riot police had to be called in"

"But on the Monday after the 1990 festival, rampaging travellers with metal bars roamed the site and clashed violently with security guards. Cars were burnt, £50,000 of damage was done and – as police helicopters whirred overhead – 235 people were arrested.

Michael’s daughter Emily, now one of the festival’s organisers, was 10 years old at the time. She has recalled looking out of the kitchen window of Worthy Farm to see “molotov cocktails being thrown and vehicles being set alight”. It was, she has said, “one of the lowest points of the entire festival history".

11 minutes ago, buttonmonster said:

Incredible photo. What’s all of the site stuff of the right / east of the photo? There seems to be loads of campsites to the right/east of the perimeter fence?

So the biggest area with blue outlines are the CV fields, then above that by PGC is Love Fields, Windinglake and some other glamping, then above that are crew/Oxfam campsites and car parks. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Why not?

The whole boom in glamping in the past 5-10 years hasn't been caused by the festival getting more appealing to the middle class, that all happened 2003-2015. In recent years it's folks getting older and not being able or willing to hack it in general camping so doing glamping or campervans so they can keep going.

There are plenty of people who are not disabled in any way defined by law, but are not capable of carrying a tent and supplies for five days a couple of miles, which is the requirement for general camping at Glastonbury these days. Back problems abound which mean people can't sleep on a blow-up mattress but are otherwise physically fit... 

There's a massive gap between "legally disabled" and "not physically capable of doing Glastonbury" in which an increasing number of people live. I don't really get the idea of excluding one group and not the other.

There's loads of things I can't do now that I used to be able to do, but I'm not asking those things to change, I'm reluctantly accepting what I can't do.

16 hours ago, stuie said:

Some of those people are the same ones as before, just 20 years older and wanting a bit more comfort. 

Where would you draw the line?  Campervans OK?  Pre-erected camping - after all it's still just people in tents.

Like has already been said, some of the demographics that used to attend don't even exist anymore.   Times change! 

Are they the same people moaning about it being rammed and not the same any more? Decent chance. 

The amount of conversations I have with people who are like "urg I'd love to go, but I won't be staying in a tent", and they're the sort of people who are changing the vibe. Times may change, but they and the fest are changing for the worst. 

Got no probs with vans at all. They've been there since the start.

10 hours ago, buttonmonster said:

Incredible photo. What’s all of the site stuff of the right / east of the photo? There seems to be loads of campsites to the right/east of the perimeter fence?

The little bell tent Camping site..if thats wot you mean you need loadddddds of money for that.. rumours by have it they've got there own bar and land rovers to take them here and there etc button I'm sure people will know more..there like massive Bedouin tents..you can see them From PS 

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Got no probs with vans at all. They've been there since the start.

I'm not so sure about that.  

The vans that were there at the start were old bangers with a mattress thrown in the back.  Now we have 10 fields full of Winnebago's and expensive vans worth upwards of £50K.  If you think the small amount of external glamping sites (2,000 people) change the vibe then so do the CV fields (20,000 people) 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm not so sure about that.  

The vans that were there at the start were old bangers with a mattress thrown in the back.  Now we have 10 fields full of Winnebago's and expensive vans worth upwards of £50K.  If you think the small amount of external glamping sites (2,000 people) change the vibe then so do the CV fields (20,000 people) 

Some of them definitely do, but like I said they have been there from the start and I reckon there are a lot more old stagers there than the glamping. I'm not saying the glamping should be banned, I'm just saying I wish the need for it didn't exist - I.e. entitled Instagram tastic bucket listers who are anything but the vibe of what Glastonbury was and should be.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

The vans that were there at the start were old bangers with a mattress thrown in the back. 

In the very early days the vans were generally a mix of old buses, vans and more unusual transport, e.g. fire engines, ambulances, old military vehicles etc . Some could be classified as "old bangers", but many were restored and converted classics (Bedfords, Leylands etc). A lot of pride was taken in some of these vehicles, which were peoples full time homes, many of them being extremely luxurious. 

The "old bangers" with a mattress in the back came later (late 80's/early 90's). This was during a period when the "traveler scene rapidly expanded due to loads of inner city "counter culture" types realising that all you needed was a cheap transit, a mattress and some bedding. It's worth noting that "the dole" (now known as universal credit?) was extremely easy to obtain in those times, including the now barely believable appearance of benefit vans on travelers sites.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

In the very early days the vans were generally a mix of old buses, vans and more unusual transport, e.g. fire engines, ambulances, old military vehicles etc . Some could be classified as "old bangers", but many were restored and converted classics (Bedfords, Leylands etc). A lot of pride was taken in some of these vehicles, which were peoples full time homes, many of them being extremely luxurious. 

The "old bangers" with a mattress in the back came later (late 80's/early 90's). This was during a period when the "traveler scene rapidly expanded due to loads of inner city "counter culture" types realising that all you needed was a cheap transit, a mattress and some bedding. It's worth noting that "the dole" (now known as universal credit?) was extremely easy to obtain in those times, including the now barely believable appearance of benefit vans on travelers sites.

Sorry no offence meant when referring to old bangers (I have one myself!) 

I was just highlighting that the CV fields of the current day are populated by much more wealthy individuals, bucket listers  and van glampers as opposed to travellers etc.