2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

1 hour ago, Helsbels said:

Natwest authorisation failed us on the coach sale last year so wary of using that card. Does anyone know if you can use Revolut?

You can use any UK Debit or Credit Card.

Revolut, while not technically a bank, functions as a Debit Card for all relevant purposes including this.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:41 PM, Helsbels said:

I would have thought this to be the case but just want to know if anyone has previously used it with success

I used Revolut for campervan last year but not for the main sale as I wasn't the one who got through. Still I'd expect if it works for campervan it would work for a ticket.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by ukmountie

2 hours ago, aj6658 said:

The whole refresh limit - how certain are we of this? I feel like people read it once somewhere and have repeated it since (I included) but what evidence do we have? 

I know people in the past tested it out outside of T day but wouldn't they add more resources on the day? 

It’s unlikely we’ll ever get proof, but I don’t recall anyone saying they were kicked out the system when they were sticking to the rumoured maximum permitted 

11 hours ago, aj6658 said:

The whole refresh limit - how certain are we of this? I feel like people read it once somewhere and have repeated it since (I included) but what evidence do we have? 

I know people in the past tested it out outside of T day but wouldn't they add more resources on the day? 

I certainly wouldn’t attempt refreshing above the limit , far too risky.  Steady refreshing, eyes glued to the screen. 
and pray to the ticket gods of the pyramid!
IMG_1183.thumb.jpeg.559b40ac195863ea7989ec4b3d38cb2a.jpeg

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

12 hours ago, aj6658 said:

The limit is less about resources and more about spotting potential 'bots' that would limit the opportunities for others to buy tickets.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, aj6658 said:

I wouldn't expect that anyone has taken the time out of trying in order to run a test during the live sale. So technically there's no evidence it applies to the live sale.

But given that it can be tested and proven as occurring outside Ticket Day (ie try it now and it happens), I can't imagine any scenario where they'd turn off one of the measures designed to stop the site being overwhelmed on literally the busiest day of the year regardless of what resources have been added.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, aj6658 said:

Been going for 9 years (hopefully 10) and the refresh limit has never made any difference - I had a device running at 0.5sec per refresh and it got us in last year on the general sale. I don't believe there is a decoy holding page, the page that appears outside of sale times is because the system thinks that there must be a queue when people test it - so it throws up the holding page as a response.

That said, this is an entirely separate device on a different network in case there are consequences of the regular refresh - but never had an issue yet.

Edited by discgoesmic

1 hour ago, discgoesmic said:

Been going for 9 years (hopefully 10) and the refresh limit has never made any difference - I had a device running at 0.5sec per refresh and it got us in last year on the general sale. I don't believe there is a decoy holding page, the page that appears outside of sale times is because the system thinks that there must be a queue when people test it - so it throws up the holding page as a response.

That said, this is an entirely separate device on a different network in case there are consequences of the regular refresh - but never had an issue yet.

Interesting theory but countered somewhat by the existence of any 'queue' in See's system being likely fictitious.  Load-balancing distributes requests across an unknown number of mid-tier application layer servers, each set up to serve a pre-determined number of concurrent sessions. Once the session limit is reached a redirect presents the 'queue' page which as we know automatically retries a connection after 20 seconds or when manually F5'd.  No real 'queuing' at any stage therefore.

The other point is that if there was such a redirect when just multiple hits were detected we'd all be seeing the busy page on ticket day and no-one would be getting through.

As for your success at a 0.5 second refresh rateI I can't exactly explain why this didn't present an issue, although it is possible that on a massively congested system a number of your requests don't get through, therefore keeping you under or around the 1/second rate as a result.

• Upvote 3

I’m finding the delay in ticket day and all the reg problems a helluva disconcerting. We seem to be in a lull, a calm before the storm.  Anyway now the registrations have closed I felt the need to check their validity yet again! I’ve lost count how many times I’ve done this over the weeks! 
anyway all will come to a conclusion on Sunday.🙏🤞

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Interesting theory but countered somewhat by the existence of any 'queue' in See's system being likely fictitious.  Load-balancing distributes requests across an unknown number of mid-tier application layer servers, each set up to serve a pre-determined number of concurrent sessions. Once the session limit is reached a redirect presents the 'queue' page which as we know automatically retries a connection after 20 seconds or when manually F5'd.  No real 'queuing' at any stage therefore.

The other point is that if there was such a redirect when just multiple hits were detected we'd all be seeing the busy page on ticket day and no-one would be getting through.

As for your success at a 0.5 second refresh rateI I can't exactly explain why this didn't present an issue, although it is possible that on a massively congested system a number of your requests don't get through, therefore keeping you under or around the 1/second rate as a result.

^ This

See tickets doesn't work like Ticketmaster. Thank f**k

• Like 1

15 hours ago, incident said:

I wouldn't expect that anyone has taken the time out of trying in order to run a test during the live sale. So technically there's no evidence it applies to the live sale.

But given that it can be tested and proven as occurring outside Ticket Day (ie try it now and it happens), I can't imagine any scenario where they'd turn off one of the measures designed to stop the site being overwhelmed on literally the busiest day of the year regardless of what resources have been added.

Is that from a software background cos my software engineer argues that they would increase resources and scale. 

8 hours ago, aj6658 said:

Is that from a software background cos my software engineer argues that they would increase resources and scale.

Of course they'll probably increase resources and scale.

But there's no reason to think that, in doing so, they'll turn off one of their main protections to stop people hammering the site (at literally the only point in the year where it's really needed).

Guessing this is based on tickets sold and the number of registrations on the system. Personally, my family of four has 2 registrations each. Imagine there will lots of others with multiple registrations. Assuming the number of registrations held will be lower this year

22 minutes ago, sparkyswitch said:

Going by the BBC figures only just over 8% of people trying for tickets actually get them. ☹️

My quick maths might be way out here, but that suggests over 2 million individuals trying for tickets. That figure seems a little high to me. If I had to guess, I reckon the successful percentage is around 25-30%

9 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

My wife will be trying on the laptop and I will be trying on my phone. I could use my phones hotspot and also try on my Ipad or will this look like its another device on my phone so potentially kick me out on my phone and Ipad?

I try on my pc, mrs c is on an I pad linked to my phone and I have phone on hand to verify bank if we are lucky. Steady refresh. Any more devices would just create more screens to monitor and more chances to miss the page.