Green Man 2024

bexj

21 minutes ago, Sawman said:

Headliners don’t blow me away - esp awful s/mods - but a strong undercard. Hoping that there is another headliner yet to be announced as expect Jon Hopkins to be in late night BIcep / confidence man slot on far out stage. Surely?

Why wouldn't Jon Hopkins play the headline slot after being announced as headliner?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawman said:

Headliners don’t blow me away - esp awful s/mods - but a strong undercard. Hoping that there is another headliner yet to be announced as expect Jon Hopkins to be in late night BIcep / confidence man slot on far out stage. Surely?

The lineup announcement on instagram says ‘‘JON HOPKINS, who brings his pioneering electronic soundscapes to the Mountain Stage”

47 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Why wouldn't Jon Hopkins play the headline slot after being announced as headliner?

Jon Hopkins headlined the second stage at Latitude a few years back and was very good. I’ve no doubt he would still be excellent, although objectively on paper he is a weak main stage headliner. 

On the subject of Latitude, in 2019 they had Underworld close the main stage and billed top but the actual headliner was Stereophonics before them. This year Keane were presented as headliner but are actually subbing for London Grammar. I appreciate GM and Latitude are not the same, but it shows the standard billing model isn’t the only way. 

10 hours ago, modefan said:

Jon Hopkins headlined the second stage at Latitude a few years back and was very good. I’ve no doubt he would still be excellent, although objectively on paper he is a weak main stage headliner. 

On the subject of Latitude, in 2019 they had Underworld close the main stage and billed top but the actual headliner was Stereophonics before them. This year Keane were presented as headliner but are actually subbing for London Grammar. I appreciate GM and Latitude are not the same, but it shows the standard billing model isn’t the only way. 

As mentioned, everything GM has released says Jon Hopkins will be the headline set on the Mountain stage and there is zero reason to think otherwise, especially as no other non-headliner act is on that bill level.

Two years ago quite a few people somehow got it into their head in advance that the festival had secretly negotiated an extension of their noise restriction hours so that Bicep could play Mountain after the actual headliners, because they were a big name and listed in the biggest type on the poster. That didn't happen.

I think Sampha/Big thief/Jon Hopkins are about the same size as Devo/First Aid Kit/Self esteem. 

Very happy with the lineup overall - undercard is  Sleaford Mods don't do it for me but  I won't go and see them!

If Jon Hopkins brings king creosote out I definitely will cry 

• Upvote 2

On 3/2/2024 at 9:47 AM, SweepingTheNation said:

As mentioned, everything GM has released says Jon Hopkins will be the headline set on the Mountain stage and there is zero reason to think otherwise, especially as no other non-headliner act is on that bill level.

Two years ago quite a few people somehow got it into their head in advance that the festival had secretly negotiated an extension of their noise restriction hours so that Bicep could play Mountain after the actual headliners, because they were a big name and listed in the biggest type on the poster. That didn't happen.

I wish they'd do that for Max Cooper. I've just watched his Live at the Acropolis set in YouTube and can't help but feel all that AV is wasted in the Far Out Tent 😂😂

Definitely worth a watch if you have a big telly (I wish mine was bigger). 

• Upvote 1

I know there's no point living in the past and bands probably get sick of playing their hits but it's a damn shame how little Big Thief play from their first two albums. Looking at their setlists from last year and they play almost entirely new material, which is good but no masterpiece (badum tshh!) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OddRon said:

I know there's no point living in the past and bands probably get sick of playing their hits but it's a damn shame how little Big Thief play from their first two albums. Looking at their setlists from last year and they play almost entirely new material, which is good but no masterpiece (badum tshh!) 

True enough, I love those albums. They still belted out a rip roaring version of Masterpiece and Randy 18 months ago on their last trip to Dublin. And everything else sounded fantastic live. They'll be great.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:07 PM, Sebwax said:

I wish they'd do that for Max Cooper. I've just watched his Live at the Acropolis set in YouTube and can't help but feel all that AV is wasted in the Far Out Tent 😂😂

Definitely worth a watch if you have a big telly (I wish mine was bigger). 

Max did his AV set at Latitude in the Film tent a couple ofyears ago and it was stunning (to an embarrassingly small crowd of us) even in there, so anything bigger should be immense. Far Out screen and visuals actually looked quality last year for Slowdive's set up so for one I'm pretty optimistic. And it helps that I adore Max's tunes.

7 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

True enough, I love those albums. They still belted out a rip roaring version of Masterpiece and Randy 18 months ago on their last trip to Dublin. And everything else sounded fantastic live. They'll be great.

Yeah I'm really enjoying a few of the newer tracks especially spud affinity and that single, Vampire Empire. 

Gotta tell myself I've already seen them do that older material at eotr 2017 and gm 2019.

3 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Yeah I'm really enjoying a few of the newer tracks especially spud affinity and that single, Vampire Empire. 

Gotta tell myself I've already seen them do that older material at eotr 2017 and gm 2019.

I really enjoyed that GM2019 set!

Interested to see what PRAH will be doing at Round the Twist - Feel like RTT has needed some new stuff over there especially for the After Dark crowd, last couple of years have felt lacking especially compared to the Drag tent last year which was superb!

Loving Johnny Flynn so far, I'd never seen the detectorists tv show before but after listening to his theme tune for it non stop I've given it a go. The lineup is getting me into new telly, let alone new music. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OddRon said:

Big thief are an interesting live band for me - personally don't think there's a band who's matched them for output or quality in the past 10 years but have never really done it for me live even back around masterpiece 

Having done EOTR for the first time last year and having a blast I’m really looking forward to my first GM now the line up is here. For folk who have done both, how do the sites compare? Eg distance between stages, camping facilities, stages getting full and over all vibe. Any advice is gratefully received 

18 hours ago, rug568 said:

Big thief are an interesting live band for me - personally don't think there's a band who's matched them for output or quality in the past 10 years but have never really done it for me live even back around masterpiece 

Agree on output. I've seen them go both ways live - can be a wee bit dull, or can be fantastic. If anything, I think they've got better and better as they've grown into an act more confident of their own quality.

As to what they will play... notwithstanding the shift away from playing much off the first two records live generally, I'd be surprised if they didn't uncork one or two of the early bangers for a festival headline show.

57 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Having done EOTR for the first time last year and having a blast I’m really looking forward to my first GM now the line up is here. For folk who have done both, how do the sites compare? Eg distance between stages, camping facilities, stages getting full and over all vibe. Any advice is gratefully received 

Have done GM numerous times and EOTR once. I have to say, I much prefer the former. Overall vibe was preferable. Beer festival in the courtyard is a fantastic extracurricular bit. Size-wise, they’re much of a muchness. GM may be slightly more compact both in terms of stages, etc. and the camping which, if closer to the festival itself, seems more cramped. Far Out is a tent whereas the Garden (I think it’s called?) is outdoor so if you really want to catch something that may be popular in there, get there early. Otherwise fine. Sight-lines much better on the main at GM as it’s a natural amphitheatre, and one of the best festival stages in the world in my personal opinion. You’ll love it. Everybody does!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

All the stages are just a few minutes apart just like EOTR. The Far Out is a tented stage like the Big Top at EOTR but has one massive opening which I prefer; it doesn't become a sauna but can get muddy all the way to the stage in places. Love the GM Rising stage which can get rammed, especially if they stick someone line LDP on there. Camping seems to be all close to the arena area once you get down the hill on the  way in, which is a pain to get up with a big trolley full.

They're both great festivals; hard to split them.

2 hours ago, suttttttt said:

Having been to Green Man for the first time, it was hard not to make comparisons to EOTR so here goes -

-I preferred GM's stage set up. No risk of full tents, good viewing areas everywhere + distance between stages is okay). My usual festival self is rushing between stages. I didn't do that at all at GM.

-downside: assuming the  rain is a  regular occurrence, i thought the conditions could have been handled better. Perhaps this is harsh though I'd highlight that having a big part of the main tent be a 'no-go' area is not great.

- vibe: a lot of areas  have a Garden Stage vibe  in the sense of families sitting around. Doesn't bother me but seems to irritate a few.. at the other end, there were more pockets of bright off their tits young 'uns than I remember from eotr (to be clear not a lot, i suppose it stands out at such a festival)

- shops/drinks-an element of 'you need to know'..I only discovered the cider 'festival' late, the main merch place sold out of most stuff before I realised it existed. The beer courtyard is nice, slightly better than eotr (which I already consider really good for a festival)

-coaches (if you take them) appeared even less coordinated than other festival experiences. Leaving on the Monday was a mess

- eotr has this unbeatable magic where wandering around getting lost feels part of the joy. GM doesn't have that but on the other hand, the actual music bit was a better experience

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Having been to Green Man for the first time, it was hard not to make comparisons to EOTR so here goes -

-I preferred GM's stage set up. No risk of full tents, good viewing areas everywhere + distance between stages is okay). My usual festival self is rushing between stages. I didn't do that at all at GM.

-downside: assuming the  rain is a  regular occurrence, i thought the conditions could have been handled better. Perhaps this is harsh though I'd highlight that having a big part of the main tent be a 'no-go' area is not great.

- vibe: a lot of areas  have a Garden Stage vibe  in the sense of families sitting around. Doesn't bother me but seems to irritate a few.. at the other end, there were more pockets of bright off their tits young 'uns than I remember from eotr (to be clear not a lot, i suppose it stands out at such a festival)

- shops/drinks-an element of 'you need to know'..I only discovered the cider 'festival' late, the main merch place sold out of most stuff before I realised it existed. The beer courtyard is nice, slightly better than eotr (which I already consider really good for a festival)

-coaches (if you take them) appeared even less coordinated than other festival experiences. Leaving on the Monday was a mess

- eotr has this unbeatable magic where wandering around getting lost feels part of the joy. GM doesn't have that but on the other hand, the actual music bit was a better experience

Yeah the forest part of End of The Road is the one thing I miss really. Can never manage it anymore with it always being at the start of the academic year.

Lads what's my best bet coming from Dublin? Fly to Bristol and coach from there? Probably go pre pitched so won't be lugging too much gear. What's the craic with the National coach service? They drop on site it says. Is it a decent service? Reliable?