West Holts 2024

CaledonianGonzo

30 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

For balance, i was at Simz' headline a few years back. She was great but the crowd were quite subdued.

Having seen her nail EOTR the previous year I was very underwhelmed. She was talking a load of shite throughout. 

6 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

In other news, Black Pumas, who I'd never heard of are now a must see and making a very strong case for being my new favourite band.  

I'm also with you with this.

Been listening to them the last couple of days - a definite must see for me too.

9 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Not sure there's been a performer at the festival more demanding of ambient darkness in recent years than Heilung. A performance bathed in sunlight from them would be a huge misstep.

goat was one that needed darkness.(can't remember now whether it had it).

9 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Not sure there's been a performer at the festival more demanding of ambient darkness in recent years than Heilung. A performance bathed in sunlight from them would be a huge misstep.

Given the sheer amount of naked flames on stage, they would be more effective in the dark!

Not sure it's been mentioned in another thread (wouldn't even know where to start there's so many!), but England are most likely playing at 5pm on the Sunday of Glasto (unless they don't top their group) - is there a chance this will be shown anywhere?

Apparently, the last time England had a tournament game over Glasto, it was shown on the West Holts...

10 minutes ago, ConMan said:

Not sure it's been mentioned in another thread (wouldn't even know where to start there's so many!), but England are most likely playing at 5pm on the Sunday of Glasto (unless they don't top their group) - is there a chance this will be shown anywhere?

Apparently, the last time England had a tournament game over Glasto, it was shown on the West Holts...

I don't recall in memory football ever being shown on West Holts during the festival. In 2010 they carved off a field but I am fairly sure they said they wouldn't do that again.

If it was a final I could maybe understand people going off to watch but the way I see it they are knock out stage games and either they get knocked out and it would put a bit of a downer on your festival or they win and you'll get to watch the next game when you are home.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I don't recall in memory football ever being shown on West Holts during the festival. In 2010 they carved off a field but I am fairly sure they said they wouldn't do that again.

If it was a final I could maybe understand people going off to watch but the way I see it they are knock out stage games and either they get knocked out and it would put a bit of a downer on your festival or they win and you'll get to watch the next game when you are home.

IIRC they showed one game on the screens of the Pyramid field on the Weds or Thurs (can't rememeber), then had a field cordoned off for the next game on the weekend with a big screen.

Just now, 4AssedMonkey said:

IIRC they showed one game on the screens of the Pyramid field on the Weds or Thurs (can't rememeber), then had a field cordoned off for the next game on the weekend with a big screen.

Yes that was 2010. It was Wednesday that they showed the other game but I'm sure it was because they were quite early in the day and I'm not 100% certain but there is something in the old memory of them saying something along the lines of we won't be doing that again. I definitely can't see them doing it when games could potentially run into the later acts.

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yeah, feels very unlikely they show anything. It'd certainly be a huge mistake if they did.

The match shown on West Holts a few years ago was on the Wednesday or Thursday. They've not shown any kind of sporting event during "main festival hours" (say noon to midnight, Friday to Sunday) since 2010 and I'd hope that experience has taught them not to do so again.

There's a significant complication in that a second round England match could be either 8pm Saturday or 5pm Sunday, and it'd be difficult to account for both eventualities.

There's also the issue that Scotland and Wales could potentially play matches on Saturday or Sunday evening, and that'd disrupt things further. Realistically, if they do show an England match they can't get away with not showing Scotland/Wales as well. And if 2 of the 3 ended up playing each other, it gets even more complicated.

Given how much costs have risen and the tightening of purse strings over the last 2 fests, I can't see them wanting to "waste" cash on showing the footy.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I don't recall in memory football ever being shown on West Holts during the festival.

It was a women's game, maybe in 2019? Was on the Wed or Thur and initially the fest seemed to have no intention of showing it until it was pointed out they'd shown men's football (even when it clashed with the main stages & they had to set up a screen in the car park) so why not show the women's when there's nothing else on west holts.

34 minutes ago, Simsy said:

It was a women's game, maybe in 2019? Was on the Wed or Thur and initially the fest seemed to have no intention of showing it until it was pointed out they'd shown men's football (even when it clashed with the main stages & they had to set up a screen in the car park) so why not show the women's when there's nothing else on west holts.

That makes sense that it wasn't during the festival. I can't see them ever telling acts that have been booked months in advance that they are not needed any more because the footy is on.