So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Chip Batch,

Well, I (fortunately) found this site in 2011, before my last Glastonbury. Before that I had been to many Glastonbury's (20+). The thing is, I like this site and the people on it. I'm sure there are probably more suitable sites for the crap I often come out with (non Glastonbury related), but I haven't explored other avenues for 'self expression'.

The above said, I'm wanting to learn to weld, so may look into a forum in that area soon. I have bought a second hand very old arc welder for £25, but don't yet know how to use it. I very much want / am in great need of creating a metal sculpture that's been in my mind for far too many years now. 

@Yoghurt on a StickI thought you were on some woodworking project after borrowing dangerous cutting tools..??

dont be burning the house down with a £25 arc welder

On 7/9/2023 at 1:45 AM, Popsider75 said:

Similar trip home.  Left at 7am straight off but got caught in that M6 problem. 

Arrived home at 5pm.

Horrible feeling when your knackered driving but want to get home.

We did pretty much exactly the same.

driving around Holmes Chapel and Congleton was a grim few hours when I just wanted to sleep! 

I’ll still be trying for tickets, only missed one (2022) since 2009. The gaffer has missed 2 since 2000.

As others have said I’ll make arrangements to be out of the country if we can’t go. 

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Be interested in what you produce YoaS, keep us updated. Chap 2 doors up is a welder,  highly sort after for various vehicle jobs. He also does art with it. Also built a furnace in his garden for various projects. Wish I had those skills

Hello fred,

I will keep you posted, but don't hold your breath waiting for progress, as I fear that you may go purple, in the waiting. In my mind's eye, and before I die (that rhymes that does) I would like to make an iron human figure using only rusty old spanners s the structure. I have the spanners (I buy job lots when I have the spare money and find job lots of them too temptingly cheap) and I have the welder. Now all I need is the knowledge of how to weld, as well as to not spend any further of my life procrastinating. I heavily suspect that the first bit is easy ie the learning how to weld - people I have met in the past who could weld, have told me as such, and I have no reason to disbelieve them. However, I can procrastinate or my country. I should imagine that I'm quite the 'Olympian' in that field. 

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

@Yoghurt on a StickI thought you were on some woodworking project after borrowing dangerous cutting tools..??

dont be burning the house down with a £25 arc welder

Hello Blue,

You are correct in that I had mentioned on here my notion to create a table, using old oak beams, and two industrial leg supports. I bought the leg supports for £40, and got the beams for free from someone local who had just demolished an old timber framed outbuilding. So, all handy enough. However, if you see my last post, it refers top a certain 'procrastination' affliction. In my head, I have already designed and made the table. In reality, that's where it's formation (the table) still lies. 

My problem is that when I say 'procrastination' I know deeper down that I really mean 'lazy'. If I drill down into the reasons why this should be, then the only conclusion I ever come to is that I was worked like a dog (as were my older brothers) by my dad over a couple of decades earlier in my life. In that time I also had my own job and also refurbished my own houses for financial gain - and somewhere to live. I think what I am trying to say is that I've already done the work of about 3 people, so just don't feel like / do anything that constructive anymore. 

I'd like to be all 'Zen' about my lack of productivity, but I'm not. I blame Roman Catholic guilt for that - on top of my parents (my dad is now dead - or is he!?) previously insane desire for work. An ethic which is evidently not hereditary! 

I will attempt not to burn the house down with the welder, should I ever crank it up, so to speak. My house is timber framed and Grade II listed. I certainly would very much be in the sh*t, should I burn it down. 

Anyway, i've had a smoke and can clearly see that I am rambling now, so will put an end to that, here, at this full stop.

I'm going to try for a ticket but am resigned to the fact that the odds get worse each year, and that my always got volunteering gig has moved the goalposts so much that it may be not feasible for me to consider now.  

On 7/9/2023 at 9:18 PM, ICGenie said:

Honestly, I really enjoyed spending all weekend last year in front of the telly, watching all the footage. Sometimes it's better to give in and enjoy other people's joy rather than just bitterly avoid it.

Having spent 2020 and '21 just stuck at home and watching the beebs re runs and Live from Worthy Farm and just doing bants on here I'm way more confident that I could sanely survive not actually being there now. Would play it as a Glasthomebury or just shut myself off and recreate lockdown again possibly.

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'm going to try for a ticket but am resigned to the fact that the odds get worse each year, and that my always got volunteering gig has moved the goalposts so much that it may be not feasible for me to consider now.  

Having spent 2020 and '21 just stuck at home and watching the beebs re runs and Live from Worthy Farm and just doing bants on here I'm way more confident that I could sanely survive not actually being there now. Would play it as a Glasthomebury or just shut myself off and recreate lockdown again possibly.

We’ve said we’ll go away if we don’t get tickets. 

Vacate the country for the weekend and avoid all TV/radio! 

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Now all I need is the knowledge of how to weld, as well as to not spend any further of my life procrastinating. I heavily suspect that the first bit is easy ie the learning how to weld

For the kind of structure you’re planning on making you will find a tool like this essential. 

IMG_3268.png.eacfeb4dffde18976d6a0712fcb1b207.png

Been able to hold the work at multiple angles will save you a lot of time and effort with clamps. 

Make sure you don’t forget decent eye protection and make sure you’re in a well ventilated area if you’re not using a mask with built in extraction. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

For the kind of structure you’re planning on making you will find a tool like this essential. 

IMG_3268.png.eacfeb4dffde18976d6a0712fcb1b207.png

Been able to hold the work at multiple angles will save you a lot of time and effort with clamps. 

Make sure you don’t forget decent eye protection and make sure you’re in a well ventilated area if you’re not using a mask with built in extraction. 

Hello squirrelarmy,

Thanks for that swathe of useful information. I need all the advise I can get at this early stage. I'm looking into going to night school to learn welding. They do such a thing at a college in Shrewsbury (@ 20 miles away). That 'Strong Hand' clamp looks like it'll be the 'business' alright. 

My notion is to create a chicken wire sub base of the human form using chicken wire type metal wrapped around a mannequin. Then cut the wire off the mannequin and stitch it back up using metal wire, so that I end up with a mannequin shaped wire structure. I would then use this to create the form for the welded spanners. The 'form' will probably need strengthening though, owing to the weight of the spanners. Not sure, as it's all at a very embryonic stage at the moment. If I go on this college course though, it will catapult me in the right direction. 

Thanks for the advice once again.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Blue,

You are correct in that I had mentioned on here my notion to create a table, using old oak beams, and two industrial leg supports. I bought the leg supports for £40, and got the beams for free from someone local who had just demolished an old timber framed outbuilding. So, all handy enough. However, if you see my last post, it refers top a certain 'procrastination' affliction. In my head, I have already designed and made the table. In reality, that's where it's formation (the table) still lies. 

My problem is that when I say 'procrastination' I know deeper down that I really mean 'lazy'. If I drill down into the reasons why this should be, then the only conclusion I ever come to is that I was worked like a dog (as were my older brothers) by my dad over a couple of decades earlier in my life. In that time I also had my own job and also refurbished my own houses for financial gain - and somewhere to live. I think what I am trying to say is that I've already done the work of about 3 people, so just don't feel like / do anything that constructive anymore. 

I'd like to be all 'Zen' about my lack of productivity, but I'm not. I blame Roman Catholic guilt for that - on top of my parents (my dad is now dead - or is he!?) previously insane desire for work. An ethic which is evidently not hereditary! 

I will attempt not to burn the house down with the welder, should I ever crank it up, so to speak. My house is timber framed and Grade II listed. I certainly would very much be in the sh*t, should I burn it down. 

Anyway, i've had a smoke and can clearly see that I am rambling now, so will put an end to that, here, at this full stop.

The best pieces of work are often there..

you should see the table i have made with the hundreds of beer bottle tops i have collected over the years held in place with a resin layer.. (I actually have the bottle tops somewhere..)

• Upvote 1

This was a topic we ran through on the weekend, first proper catchup as a group of friends with our partners on Saturday now that the blues have faded and everyone is feeling human again!

After being at 8 festival's now since the early 10's, I feel as though as pattern has emerged for me and the rest of my group. There are some years at Glastonbury where we've been in the past and everything just goes perfectly. By this I mean the weather, the line up, the narcotics, the energy levels, the headliners, falling lucky on to little quirks, the crowds, the night times providing memories and a few other things to. I've had Glastonbury's in the past where this has happened (2014, 2015 and 2022 most notable for me). Everything has went swimmingly, we've had bands for the rabbit hole due to lingering around the area on the Thursday and having VIP entry for the weekend (ran into Bradley Cooper in 2015, Simon Pegg last year!) and the headliners/acts we've saw have just all fitted in and we've fell on our feet. I remember having last done Glastonbury in 2019 and I ended up with sun stroke on the Saturday, which pretty much wrote half of the weekend off for me. 2016 I enjoyed but can remember returning home and debating whether I'd even want to go back to the festival in similar conditions, as everything just seemed grey, it was a task getting around the site and it just wasn't the same festival as the previous two. So back to back in 2016 and 2019, I came home from the festival thinking if I miss the next one or two then so be it.

Fast forward to heading into 2022 and having tickets rolled over for 3 years, I was up for the week ahead, but didn't give it too much thought. 2022 then ended up most likely being my favourite of the then 7 so far Glastonbury's I'd been too. Some unbelievable highs and I remember getting home and spent a good 2 weeks rewatching every set I was at and sifting through my own photos and videos praying that I got tickets for 2023. Fortunately around 80% of our group got tickets, and looking back I think I built up this year too much in my own mind as 2022 was the best of the best, and ended up having a very mediocre year this year which I've now finally admitted to myself. From the line up being the weakest it has been for me since I've been going to the festival, the weather at times causing a few issues as many of our group had to hide out until it passed on the Saturday, not having much luck with queues this year for the likes of the rabbit hole/temple when we gave it a good hour until deciding to call it a night, overcrowding at a number of the sets in the nights I had looked forward too, and just a lot more hassle this year with our group spending much time together as everyone went off to do their own thing Thursday to Sunday. I had a great time with my partner taking some time to ourselves, but this year outside of Elton John on the Sunday, there wasn't another time all of us were together, so very few talking points post-festival amongst our group really where we can look back and point to some of the highs, as they were all experienced individually this year rather than as a collective at last year's festival. 

As I mentioned above, from my experience at Glastonbury, everything can either go right and luck is on your side, or there can just be a number of small niggles which take away some of the elation of the festival. I used to love being perched up on the hill at the Park by the Glastonbury sign of a Wednesday, then into stone circle for the fireworks. Now it doesn't seem plausible for how busy it seems to have been the last two festivals. 

I think the lineup will definitely play a much bigger role in whether I go if I'm lucky enough to get tickets, as after 8 festivals, there's less to explore and find as it's all a bit common knowledge by then, so whereas the first few years I went I would find new tents, areas, quirks that I hadn't experienced the festival before, that element of the festival has now dried out for me, so I feel as though I need a strong line up to keep me busy enough with at least 2 or 3 must see acts a day as opposed to only seeing a handful this year, with only 3 must sees across the weekend. I also believe being away from the farm for a years between 19 and 22 played a massive role, as it seemed to feel new and fresh again, and the excitement of simply walking to and from places and stages and seeing the areas all lit up just seemed to warm me up. This year it felt like I hadn't left when I got back to the farm, and the same feeling just wasn't there. Maybe I do need to do a year on/year off as someone else had mentioned in this thread, to help build up the excitement whenever I am able to get to the festival. 

That being said, I'll still be trying in October/November!

In 2015 I had a sh*t time and was worried that was it but then 2017 was my favourite year. Missed it badly and got back in 2022.

our group basically agreed that, as hard as it is, we will be trying every other year and I’m comfortable with that. Lots of us now have young kids so 5 days away is hard on our partners, the cost is effectively a holiday and frankly I mentally need a year off between.

trying for next year and one thing I want to do (easier said than done) is to adjust how I approach the festival. I’ll be 37 and still approach is like my first one at 21. Last year I did 35k steps on the Wednesday which shattered me before it started and messed my feet up. I also plan a million things to do and see and would like to relax and go with the wind a bit more, enjoy the moment rather than the path the next act. We’ll see how that goes

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Just bought a ticket for Beat Herder next July.

Whilst I will be trying for Glastonbury, I am now wondering whether 2 festivals within a month is worth the cost & time off of work

2 festivals in a month is fine... we don't have a very long summer so have to get them in! 

Although I just done 2 festivals with only 1 weekend off in the middle and then caught covid... I actually thought I might die 🙂 

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

2 festivals in a month is fine... we don't have a very long summer so have to get them in! 

I've got Beautiful Days followed by Shambala on consecutive weekends.

Although the former is effectively a rest weekend as it's a bit of a doddle, no late nights and not too much band wise to interest me.

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Unexpectedly, 4 festivals for me this year, including 2 I’m working at, one being Reading (I went to Leeds years ago and felt old then!!)

Next year, Glastonbury & Bearded Theory will do me. 

I went to Reading when I was 23 and felt old!!

It was so rammed last year that I decided from now on I'll concentrate on smaller festivals.  That said, I've got Green Man next month, which I think of as Glastonbury without the hassle (apart from getting tickets).  GM may yet change my mind.  By the way I've been going to Glasto on an off for more than 50 years and now do it in a big caravan and am aged 73.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, nikkic said:

Me and 3 mates (all 40) have just booked tickets to Warehouse Project in October, got a feeling we'll feel the same!

Used to go the WHP 3-4 times a year when I was younger and lived up in Manchester. Nowadays I'm lucky if I recognise more than a couple of names on the lineup.