SE Corner - time for a refresh?

O'Doyle Rules

Apologies if this is elsewhere (and ignore if it is) but I really am finding myself less interested in the SE corner each passing year. It’s just a lot of aimless (off your tits) wondering and I feel the weird interaction I loved has dwindled somewhat?

I’ve only been going since 2008 so not sure what came before, and appreciate any big revamp at Glasto is a big undertaking and they prefer to slowly build stuff up, but do feel a “fresh” restart would be cool.

Amazingly found myself in Silver Hayes a lot this year - about time they made it a viable alternative. 

Anyone feel the same?

Kind of... depends on who's playing where for me in the SE, I can quite easily give it a miss. Silver Hayes smashed it, Levels is ace and the sound system at the Lonely Hearts Club for that big Saturday night lineup of Baumer, Copper, Hauff & Avery was ace. Just a shame it stops at 3! Licensing I guess?

I remember the first time I went in 2013 we were wondering about aimlessly on the wed or Thu and went through some doors and ended up in some mental indoor version of heaven sitting on a white fluffy cloud surrounded by people with their shoes off. 

Not seen or been into any of that kind of experiential art since then, not sure if it's all too busy or doesn't exist any longer. 

there does definitely need to be more provision of late night action across the site. SE corner is full of cool stuff, but Silver Hayes and Williams Green/it's replacement need to put things in which hoover up crowds and make the SE corner more accessible and interesting again. 

• Like 1

Long overdue IMO.

Particulary Unfairground and Shangri La, not only have these two areas become stale, but I'm sick of the dystopian theme. It's become too real, too reflective of the society we're living in. I understand that it helps educate people to the changes we should be making, but surely Green Futures and Greenpeace can fulfill that role.

To a large extent Glastonbury is meant to be an escape from daily life, not a reminder. I'd like to see the SE corner go more "De La Soul" "Daisy age", bright light and positive.

I've found the Common to more uplifting, while Block 9 serves a good purpose as a safe space for LBGTQ+.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

48 minutes ago, tom22 said:

I remember the first time I went in 2013 we were wondering about aimlessly on the wed or Thu and went through some doors and ended up in some mental indoor version of heaven sitting on a white fluffy cloud surrounded by people with their shoes off. 

Not seen or been into any of that kind of experiential art since then, not sure if it's all too busy or doesn't exist any longer. 

Impressed that you could stumble into that! We had to plead our case to some “angels” around why we warranted entry. We did that on the Thursday and got a wrist band for the weekend!

Prior to that year in 2011 the theme was a virus taking over the world and you had to either physically or morally be decontaminated to join to the ship to a new planet.

So you have hit the nail on the head, the entire area used to be experiential art based on a theme that evolved each year. All of that seems to be lost now and it’s just a general dystopian rave each year that in my view doesn’t really work anymore.

58 minutes ago, tom22 said:

there does definitely need to be more provision of late night action across the site. SE corner is full of cool stuff, but Silver Hayes and Williams Green/it's replacement need to put things in which hoover up crowds and make the SE corner more accessible and interesting again. 

Ah the old heaven and hell theme.went to Heaven a few times, took a while to get in as had to show how pure you were. Mixmaster Morris DJing in there with a harpist was very cool, then you got to the inner part of it, very relaxed 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The theme this year was consumerism and supermarkets

Shangri-La_LaunchPost.jpg

Felt to me like other than some scenery there was nothing more to it. certainly not what people are describing

I think Block9 is completely fine, genosys replacement when it comes will be nice but for now its ok. defo not dire

The Common works well too

Shangri La and Unfairground are the issue. I'd like to see them completely reset as something new, maybe merge them together and get a larger stage in there ala Levels and then a few smaller ones / lots of random stuff.

15 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

Did anyone venture off the actual main pathway? All those quirky little art installations are still there? Did you go into the supermarket? The estate agents etc? 

I can vaguely remember having an exchange with the estate agent through the window, had a go hoolahooping with the illuminated hoops and had a dance off with the dancing wall. 

1 hour ago, Claire0406 said:

Did anyone venture off the actual main pathway? All those quirky little art installations are still there? Did you go into the supermarket? The estate agents etc? 

I walked through that bit multiple times at what I thought would be their peak hours and they were always closed 😞

Agree that SL and UF could use a revamp. Yes the former technically still changes theme but it’s felt incredibly similar the last few years. I accept that its popularity (sadly) rules out a return to full microvenue action (I got into Heaven for the Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich DJ set in 2013, wild memories) but the amazing team who run it could surely be let loose a little more. A few places playing more extreme music like at Boomtown wouldn’t go amiss either.

Truth Stage remains tied with the Park for best stage on the site mind.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I’m just dragged to more music by my friends, but I remember years ago the constant interactions in little settings with actors etc.. Now it seems to just be raves as someone mentions above.

Don’t get me wrong, it does still feel away from the real world. But more so the almost “can take what you want, when you want” type feeling rather than anything truly “wtf was that” experience

Yeah I do agree it could be a bit more wow, although glasto and Boomtown are two very different festivals I do believe Shangri la is linked to both of them, would be nice to take a bit of Boomtowns theatrics and walkabouts and put it into Shangri la in the day time, I think doing it in the evening would just block it up further, maybe Glasto need to focus on some of the quirky art installations off the path, out of sight out of mind I guess. Newbies wouldn’t know it’s there 

Not really related to what is being said above but I’d love to have a bit more rock/indie/alternative night time options. I know they’ve had a few bands on the Truth stage but there seems to be lots of dance options but not many bars/clubs that have those styles of music. 

• Upvote 9

If you walk in and do the 'tourist circuit loop' then there are definitely pinch points - or if you have your heart set on NYC Downlow or that Fred Again secret set then sure. 

But I've never noticed it over-busy in places like Iicon or in less buzzy venues like Blind Tiger or Mez Yard.

(None of which are in Shangri-la of course, but I'm assuming it's being used as a catch all here)

10 hours ago, sjseabass said:

I walked through that bit multiple times at what I thought would be their peak hours and they were always closed 😞

Agree that SL and UF could use a revamp. Yes the former technically still changes theme but it’s felt incredibly similar the last few years. I accept that its popularity (sadly) rules out a return to full microvenue action (I got into Heaven for the Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich DJ set in 2013, wild memories) but the amazing team who run it could surely be let loose a little more. A few places playing more extreme music like at Boomtown wouldn’t go amiss either.

Truth Stage remains tied with the Park for best stage on the site mind.

This.

Instead of 5 billion stages playing the same subgenre of D&B at the same time can we please get some more hard music.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If you walk in and do the 'tourist circuit loop' then there are definitely pinch points - or if you have your heart set on NYC Downlow or that Fred Again secret set then sure. 

But I've never noticed it over-busy in places like Iicon or in less buzzy venues like Blind Tiger or Mez Yard.

(None of which are in Shangri-la of course, but I'm assuming it's being used as a catch all here)

Nah I was meaning the specific Shangri La area. After you are kettled at the entrance from the common its then one long shuffle through the crowd. I feel like I can’t really enjoy anything and most people just seem to be heading for the main stages anyway.

14 hours ago, Yatesy1983 said:

Kind of... depends on who's playing where for me in the SE, I can quite easily give it a miss. Silver Hayes smashed it, Levels is ace and the sound system at the Lonely Hearts Club for that big Saturday night lineup of Baumer, Copper, Hauff & Avery was ace. Just a shame it stops at 3! Licensing I guess?

I think the 3am might actually be to donwith it being very close to where people camp. Other late night areas have a fair bit more distance onto be whole away from camping people.

Shouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility to have something like

- a jazz club 

- a cheesy indie tent (like WG) 

- a metal/rock tent 

- classical music / chillout area

- late night comedy/cabaret

And still 3 zillion other places for drum n bass around the site. 

• Upvote 12