How much would you pay for a ticket?

O'Doyle Rules

15 minutes ago, mike86 said:

For a guaranteed ticket, no stress of ticket day, I wouldn't think twice about paying the £850-£1000 people have mentioned on here. 

Its a much better weekend than a holiday abroad. 

same, I don't go on holiday anywhere else - glastonbury is my week away from work, which I budget for over the year.

I wonder if they're using the "hospitality" ticket sales to subsidise the others? In which case expect those areas to grow year on year.. 

However if it goes "cochella" then I would stop going....

2 hours ago, Penrhos said:

I wonder if they're using the "hospitality" ticket sales to subsidise the others? In which case expect those areas to grow year on year.. 

They doubled the size of hospitality after covid apparently so I definitely think there's some cross subsidising going on with various ticket types

I reckon I'd pay up to £500 if it meant getting a ticket was less stressful and more guaranteed. Much more than that I reckon would have to be lineup dependent for me which can't be the case with the announcements starting after ticket sales. Another thing that would sway me to pay a bit more would be if capacity was reduced

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We would be ok paying 500, even a bit more.  But that’s at this time of our lives. If we were at the stage of our lives with mortgages, kids etc then such a cost would probably be too high.  I’d hate to think the festival became unaffordable for many who obviously love the place.

I think this is the important thing. If they increased to £500 I’d still expect them to sell out but lose many old stalwarts and those that love the place and already push to afford to go. It would also likely increase spin ins and runners. 

better to have, in my opinion, some type of two tier pricing where a small proportion pay much more 

£1000 would be my limit I reckon. 

I spent less than £100 between wed-mon on food and booze.

Probably take the family again next year, even if it's £400 a ticket X 2 adults and kids go free, with the car park pass and fuel costs it's still coming in at under £1000 for the whole family for 5 full magical days.

Thats damn good value!

9 hours ago, Penrhos said:

Of course they do. As I said in another thread, if there were fewer hospitality tickets you wouldn't have more "normal" tickets because you wouldn't be able to afford them. That extra income would have to come from somewhere, whether it's increasing ticket prices, reducing charity donations, reducing the content or not investing in infrastructure.

31 minutes ago, Slimeyc said:

better to have, in my opinion, some type of two tier pricing where a small proportion pay much more 

Which is exactly what hospitality is. There is no way that hospitality costs the festival as much as it brings in.

In terms of tiered pricing, you could have a sale that is a bit like the coach sale, so on main ticket sale day you have a number of prices you can first select from the booking screen. Have the bulk at say £250, then have limited numbers at tiers from say £1500/£1000/£500 or whatever. Despite the smaller numbers, if you went straight for the £1500 option you’d probably have a much better chance of securing a ticket.

Not something I’d ever want to see happen though, just an idea about how it could work and how it could help to keep the bulk of the tickets cheaper.

Edited by Jose Pose

Possibly about £450 at the moment.

I’m getting married later this year and we want to have children soon after, and whilst I am still free to go to festivals after we’ve had one (fiancé doesn’t do camping festivals but is fine with me going off with my mates and enjoying myself) if the price is too high that may force my hand. 

Edited by gooner1990

Honestly, there isn't exactly a hard number as such. It's going to depend a fair bit how it looks in relation to other festivals, to stand alone gigs, and to a lesser extent going to somewhere like Vegas for a week. Glastonbury is already double the cost of Bearded Theory, if the difference went up went to say triple then I'd struggle to justify the difference given Bearded is more focused on what I like and you can only be in the one place at one time.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Considering how happy the festival makes me and how important it is to me, I’d probably pay a grand. But, I think that comes at a cost of the crowd. To be honest, it’s the niceness of the crowd which has been the appeal the older I get.

100% this. My concern if the price went up would not be the impact on me, but on others who live the place who would be priced out.

8 hours ago, incident said:

Honestly, there isn't exactly a hard number as such. It's going to depend a fair bit how it looks in relation to other festivals, to stand alone gigs, and to a lesser extent going to somewhere like Vegas for a week. Glastonbury is already double the cost of Bearded Theory, if the difference went up went to say triple then I'd struggle to justify the difference given Bearded is more focused on what I like and you can only be in the one place at one time.

This

Glastonbury 2023 was just about on the boarder of what i consider value for money for my personal music tastes.

If the line-up starts moving too far away from what i consider worthy of my cash i will just do more smaller festivals.

But there is also that emotional attachment to the place which would be hard to break but a few like 2016 (weather wise) and line ups that don't suit could see that attachment break.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:08 AM, mike86 said:

For a guaranteed ticket, no stress of ticket day, I wouldn't think twice about paying the £850-£1000 people have mentioned on here. 

Its a much better weekend than a holiday abroad. 

I heavily disagree with this. While Glastonbury gets me in the way it does, I can easily go away on a holiday abroad and have the feels where that gets me in a different way. 

If you're just going to the old Costa del sol etc or beach to bar holiday etc then I'd understand that. But when I holiday, I go to explore and do hikes to peak tops that Glastonbury can't give me.

Last year i didn't get to Glastonbury, so i holidayed to east coast devon and down to east coast Cornwall st ives etc as I'd not been before. Hayle/Towans, Perranporth and Hollywell etc and it was a great time.

19 hours ago, thewomble said:

I reckon I'd pay up to £500 if it meant getting a ticket was less stressful and more guaranteed. Much more than that I reckon would have to be lineup dependent for me which can't be the case with the announcements starting after ticket sales. Another thing that would sway me to pay a bit more would be if capacity was reduced

That's probably my point based on a guaranteed ticket with no stress and queues.

4 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

500/600. Every time I've been I've seen over £1000's worth of bands. The FOMO if I wasn't there is worth a fair bit too

This year for me, was just about worth it with what I did and saw as I got to some night areas I don't necessarily. Skindred were very good and I got to to Hixxy in the unfairground. Would have liked to see a bit of of platform23. Kinda liked the little rock stage they had before.

I got very lucky with the shifts I worked providing me the whole festival off from Wednesday but I likely will not work again based on when you get those earliest, it would be gutting to not get them again and there is no definite you will. Some people like doing the work though, I definitely do it to gain a ticket although my last shift was okay mainly because I knew it was my last.

I missed it enough though from 2022 having got back to know by Thursday afternoon I would be going back.

Good things are I saw virtually everyone on must sees:

So Arctics, Foos, Texas, Hives, Rick Astley, Capaldi, Guns/FBS was always the horrible one and I opted for Guns and got Dave and Slash jamming so. Also saw FBS in the tree in green peace and the end of his levels set over ROT90s which was chosen by a crowd choice but since been told I probably made the correct choice due to crowding/not the friendliest of people. Elton, who it wouldn't have bothered me had he not been there, Blondie and Becky HIll. Saw some of Lightning Seeds, Tom Grennan who was ace, Gen Sex and Maneskin who were superb! I missed Elvana for some reason. Showhawk Duo were superb as well. Baggy Monday as usual. I checked out Daniel Avery but just not my thing.

For me it was a year of not a stellar lineup but a lot of people to catch who I hadn't previously.