Taking the Kids

Hugh Jass II

This year was the first time I've taken my family to Glastonbury, went with my wife, my daughter (5) and my son (3). Was a little nervous around how the kids would get on with it, especially my youngest, but they both absolutely loved it. Was really happy (and proud) to see how much they engaged with it all. They're both already saying that they want to go back so hopefully they're on the path to becoming lifelong regulars.

It was a completely different experience to what I'm used to in 20 years of going but was great to see the festival from a whole new perspective, barely saw any bands as we mostly stuck to the Kids/T&C/Green Fields but most of the time it was magical for them. The stuff we did see was from the very back and on Friday & Saturday we took them back to the tent and Mrs J slept with them whilst I went to watch Arctic Monkeys and the LDR fiasco. Sunday we all watched Reg (although the boy spent the entire set with his headphones on watching Paw Patrol the Movie).

Of course it was hard work at times, there were meltdowns and tantrums when they were hot/tired/hungry/over stimulated, but that's just normal parenting sh*t, and the heat certainly didn't help at times (plenty of shade and water breaks throughout) and plans I had to see any acts I actually wanted to see were quickly shelved, but I would definitely do it again with them.

Quick note on Wickett Family Camping too which was the quietest, cleanest, most chilled out place I've ever camped at the festival.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

My daughter is 5 and my son 3 also. Was there second year and they definitely enjoyed it more this year than last. We camp in Wicket and I think its great. Loads of space around the tent so the kids can run around and play there. I know its a bit of a trek to the kidz field but the other family camping is so cramped I would rather have the walk. I saw about 10 bands over the weekend, some with the kids but most with other members of our group whilst my wife had the kids. One of us would take the kids for a few hours while the other did what they wanted to. On Saturday we both took the kids to the kidz field so we could sit in the shade and relax. We went with 3 other adults so I went out with them on Friday and my Wife on Saturday and the other took the kids to bed. I took the kids to see Arcadia on Sunday night and the QOTSA and they loved it since it was so quiet they could run around. As we were packing up they asked if we can come next week 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fred Zepplin said:

My daughter is 5 and my son 3 also. Was there second year and they definitely enjoyed it more this year than last. We camp in Wicket and I think its great. Loads of space around the tent so the kids can run around and play there. I know its a bit of a trek to the kidz field but the other family camping is so cramped I would rather have the walk. I saw about 10 bands over the weekend, some with the kids but most with other members of our group whilst my wife had the kids. One of us would take the kids for a few hours while the other did what they wanted to. On Saturday we both took the kids to the kidz field so we could sit in the shade and relax. We went with 3 other adults so I went out with them on Friday and my Wife on Saturday and the other took the kids to bed. I took the kids to see Arcadia on Sunday night and the QOTSA and they loved it since it was so quiet they could run around. As we were packing up they asked if we can come next week 

Was it me or were there definitely groups of people in Wickett without kids? There was an older group next to us and we didn’t see a child with them all weekend.

Aw glad you enjoyed it. It's been sad since I came back to hear so many people talking about how kids should be banned (mainly in the FB groups) but even though I don't have kids I think one of the unique things about Glastonbury is that it is for the whole family from babies to great-grandparents.

Appreciate there were probably a few parents doing some dangerous things with kids but deal with those individuals if need be. Most parents I saw at Glastonbury were ensuring their kids had a ball and only getting to do a fraction of the stuff they would normally do without kids.

Not quite the same but took our 16 yr old (last time was when he was 5 months old in the mud of 2007, never again...) he likes music but isn't a real "fan" of any particular band so was unsure if he would enjoy it. He absolutely LOVED it, got the festival  completely got stuck in in some nonsense in the Theatre fields, loved the music and everything about the place. It was really special sharing the weekend with him. My highlight was going back to cv east after Elton and he got all emotional, gave me a hug and said "Thanks for bringing me to Glastonbury Mum, it's amazing, now I know why you and Dad talk about it all the time". There may have been a bit of dust in my eye...  To those with little ones though, hats off, you deserve a medal.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

This year was the first time I've taken my family to Glastonbury, went with my wife, my daughter (5) and my son (3). Was a little nervous around how the kids would get on with it, especially my youngest, but they both absolutely loved it. Was really happy (and proud) to see how much they engaged with it all. They're both already saying that they want to go back so hopefully they're on the path to becoming lifelong regulars.

It was a completely different experience to what I'm used to in 20 years of going but was great to see the festival from a whole new perspective, barely saw any bands as we mostly stuck to the Kids/T&C/Green Fields but most of the time it was magical for them. The stuff we did see was from the very back and on Friday & Saturday we took them back to the tent and Mrs J slept with them whilst I went to watch Arctic Monkeys and the LDR fiasco. Sunday we all watched Reg (although the boy spent the entire set with his headphones on watching Paw Patrol the Movie).

Of course it was hard work at times, there were meltdowns and tantrums when they were hot/tired/hungry/over stimulated, but that's just normal parenting sh*t, and the heat certainly didn't help at times (plenty of shade and water breaks throughout) and plans I had to see any acts I actually wanted to see were quickly shelved, but I would definitely do it again with them.

Quick note on Wickett Family Camping too which was the quietest, cleanest, most chilled out place I've ever camped at the festival.

Great to hear! Had kids with me at all but 2017. It can be SO tough (2016 an utter mess) but the memories they make and the sculpting effect the festival has on them are profound.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad you had a good time! 

We didn't have such a good experience with ours (5 years and 16 months) and ended up missing a lot of the things we really wanted to enjoy. But I am glad we took them as it was definitely core memory material for her. 

We will try again in a few years, but the next time for us will be child free 😅

Edited by cb4747

52 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Of course it was hard work at times, there were meltdowns and tantrums when they were hot/tired/hungry/over stimulated, but that's just normal parenting sh*t

I'm a fully-grown adult and I get like this sometimes 😂

41 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

As we were packing up they asked if we can come next week 

Also this.

• Upvote 1

We took our boy to his second Glasto at 19 months, last year he was 7 months for his first.

At 7 months old it is just so easy.  You could just plonk him down and he would stay where he was sitting.  Or carry him into a crowd and he would just be happy watching a band in my arms.

At 19 months it's completely different.  He is so independent minded and never wants to sit still.  But there was a lot more interaction, especially with other children which was a joy to see.

If you want to actually watch a band, make sure you stop next to another family with kids.  They are much more likely to stay in one place and be content.

Spent lots of time in the kidz field, T&C, Avalon for a nice chill, Greenpeace kids.

At night he would fall asleep in the pull along trolley and sleep through the headliners.  The opening of Row Mead to Pyramid viewing was great for families.

And I concur with @Hugh Jass II, Wicket is brilliant camping for families.  My boy made friends with the kids in the tent next to us and they were running around and playing together every morning.

Odd tantrum here and there.  But a wonderful experience all round and we could tell he really enjoyed himself.

• Upvote 1

I took my 12 year old for her first visit. She has done others (Camp Bestival, End of the Road, Green Man) but first Glasto.

She absolutely loved it - less the music as there were not too many acts she really wanted to see apart from Lizzo & Arctics, but more so the place, the vibe, the randomness, she found the sheer scale of the place amazing. 

I saw less music that any of my previous glastos, which was fine, and spent more time in T&C fields than ever before. Gave me a new outlook & admiration for a different side of the festival - the sheer number of performers and acts on in that corner of the festival is incredible. I reckon we saw almost all of the acts in the Big Top at least once,  the constant flow of acts & speed in which the stage crew change the equipment/props from one act to the next is amazing.

With any luck with tickets, my plan is to do a solo trip next year so I can fully immerse into the music & later aspects of the festival again, and then take my other two kids in 2025. Fingers crossed! 

I'm well out of date on this. I took my son to his/my first Glasto in 98 when he was 14, and after assume joint orientation just let him get on with it/go where he wanted solo as and when he wanted to. 

My "kids" concern this year was the number of kids being pushed around in all-terrain buggies totally enclosed in plastic windowed sides and top. 

Effectively they were pushing the child around in a mobile greenhouse in the excessive temps this weekend 

😡😡😡😡😡

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Most parents I saw at Glastonbury were ensuring their kids had a ball and only getting to do a fraction of the stuff they would normally do without kids.

Worked out on the drive home that the total amount of alcohol I consumed across the entire festival was equivalent to about 11 pints.

I've done more than that in a day before at Glastonbury.

While we had a great time, after a six month old last year and a 1.5 year old this year, we are probably going to give it a miss.

While the kids activities are brilliant, we go to Glastonbury for the music and the fun, and we just can't have both. 

Maybe when he's older and can enjoy the music more we will go back, but the next few years look like we would just be spending it in kids areas, and we may as well just go to soft plays, kids camps etc. instead 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Was it me or were there definitely groups of people in Wickett without kids? There was an older group next to us and we didn’t see a child with them all weekend.

I did see a group of people at the top of the field who were already set up when we got in about 4 on Wednesday who didn't have kids anytime I saw them but that was it

3rd Glastonbury in a row with the kids (13 & 16) and how things have changed. We used to party hard and frankly missed a lot of the festival (unless you count being muntered all night in SE corner as seeing the festival).

Now we see way more bands, often in the pit with daughter on shoulders, do lots of exploring and even some previously unheard of activities like shopping for souvenirs, getting 8 hours sleep and eating meals.

It's different, but now we're used to it we actually prefer it this way and the kids love it.

1 minute ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I did see a group of people at the top of the field who were already set up when we got in about 4 on Wednesday who didn't have kids anytime I saw them but that was it

Group next to us definitely didn't. They were older and easily looked like grandparents, but didn't see a single kid with them all weekend.

6 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

While we had a great time, after a six month old last year and a 1.5 year old this year, we are probably going to give it a miss.

While the kids activities are brilliant, we go to Glastonbury for the music and the fun, and we just can't have both. 

Maybe when he's older and can enjoy the music more we will go back, but the next few years look like we would just be spending it in kids areas, and we may as well just go to soft plays, kids camps etc. instead 

We found this. We just couldn't do both. 

Took ours last year, when they were 11 and 8.

11 year old loved it, and was gutted not to be going this year.

8 year old liked it, although on questioning his favourite things were climbing, Minions movie, and chilling in hammocks. That said, he's taken more of an interest in music in the last year or so since.

And agreed on Wicket camping - loved it! Loads of space and super chilled!

Took our 3 year old son for his first festival. He absolutely loved it! It was emotional watching him absolutely love the place as much I do. 

We stayed up in Worthy View and that was ideal in our circumstances, no queuing to get a spot, good facilities etc. Good to hear that there are good options in the main festival for families. 

We cheated slightly in that we took our son home on the Friday afternoon and he stayed with family for the weekend whilst my wife and I went back down and had a childless festival for the weekend! But I have always enjoyed the Wednesday and Thursday just as much (if not a little more) than the weekend anyway, so I was glad we did things that way around. Site is a little quieter and relaxed I always think for the first couple of days and we felt that would be a good way to do things. 

I certainly did not get the feeling from anyone at all onsite that kids were in some way not welcome and I am really disappointed to read in here that has been suggested elsewhere. 
Long before we even had a child and were going with mates, I always really liked the family feel of the place. One of the big plus point for the festival that. 

Edited by Gashead86

Currently debating bringing my now 3 year old next year (ticket dependant).  My issue is my Wife wont come and the 3 mates I go with would help to a point but would still want to be off seeing what they want to see. 

I thought with the heat this year it would be too much on my own but still debating.