Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Why isn't it?

If it's packed like it was for Elton with nowhere to move and you're stuck behind someone with half of Hobbycraft on their head then you're not going to enjoy it.

Quite clearly explained further up which you’ve chosen to ignore and become personal 

Edited by Crazyfool01

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

How's that personal exactly?

Honestly you can’t figure that out ?

edit

just to add if anyones view has been blocked at any point during any act chuck me a dm I will happily buy you a drink to apologise  .... i wore it twice in busy situations and for Elton I let 2 girls that were shorter in front ... the other time was during SEB when there was loads of room to move in the pit . Pretty much the rest of the time I had the lightweight hat on which blocks no-one . Im glad it made 100s of people smile though 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Honestly you can’t figure that out ? 

Evidently not, this may shock you but I kinda have bigger priorities in life than getting personal with anyone.

I would however add that it seems a tad hypocritical to complain about flags blocking views when you're wearing a massive self made hat. Is that any worse than a flag? If you feel not then so be it.

But anyway, final word on the matter from me.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Why isn't it?

If it's packed like it was for Elton with nowhere to move and you're stuck behind someone with half of Hobbycraft on their head then you're not going to enjoy it.

Because it's one bloke and he took it off? I don't think the people at the disabled platforms couldn't see because of tall people/anyone's hats tbh

Edited by strummer77

I am going to go controversial for me, because I absolutely hate the flags. They are the epitome of modern society. However, IF the festival were to introduce the massive wrap around screens as at Reading. Then I would contine to allow them at the pyramid with some restrictions on advertising etc... Otherwise without those screens they need to go. And I hope someone from the festival is reading all this sh*t on this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Evidently not, this may shock you but I kinda have bigger priorities in life than getting personal with anyone.

I would however add that it seems a tad hypocritical to complain about flags blocking views when you're wearing a massive self made hat. Is that any worse than a flag? If you feel not then so be it.

But anyway, final word on the matter from me.

I thought you said it wasn't personal? 

22 hours ago, El Slido said:

I'll set my stall out. I like the flag vibes, and find them useful navigation waypoints.

One question tho...how far back from the stage do you need to be before the teeny tiny people on the stage could be literally anyone?
Or to put it another way, at what distance from the stage do you stop looking at the screens?

Here's one of my favourite photos:

DSC_0595.JPG

That's Leonard Cohen that is down there standing in the spotlight on the pyramid stage in 2008. It can't be literally anyone. It's Leonard Cohen and everyone knows it.

I completely reject any sort of horse-trading about imaginary lines on the ground beyond which a direct view of the stage is deemed immaterial by self appointed arbiters. f**k that sh*t

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, clarkete said:

I believe there were 4 or 5 screens, I was always in front of the track, but for a lot of time from yusuf onwards was lucky to see one screen fully.  In which case...shoehorning in a contentious issue... I may as well have sat down. 

20230625_160329.jpg

20230625_162952.jpg

20230625_190719.jpg

20230625_220816.jpg

Looks like you were further back than me for EJ but got a far better view! (unless your arms were high in the air when you took that pic!)

58 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Looks like you were further back than me for EJ but got a far better view! (unless your arms were high in the air when you took that pic!)

Yeah I'm only average height, but that was full stretch for my tiddly arms

image.thumb.png.39ea17f87131725d4dd0b8d4804ad54e.png

This is close to the stage and I couldn't see much of it. 
Double flags for somebody's kids pictures. 
Double maradona/soda stereo flag from an argentinian who I have no relation to 😅  
Another double flag although higher.
Another flag with somebody's many pictures which aren't even visible. 
A huge smily face one. 
What's the point of all of these?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kerplunk said:

Here's one of my favourite photos:

DSC_0595.JPG

That's Leonard Cohen that is down there standing in the spotlight on the pyramid stage in 2008. It can't be literally anyone. It's Leonard Cohen and everyone knows it.

I completely reject any sort of horse-trading about imaginary lines on the ground beyond which a direct view of the stage is deemed immaterial by self appointed arbiters. f**k that sh*t

Absolutely this. If you were stood there 15 years later you wouldn’t see a thing sadly. 

As long as your flag is identifiable in a crowd there’s no need for more than one for your mates to find you. 

The first move they should make is an advisory to limit it to a single flag on an extendable pole which can be easily taken down if required. 

All these multi flaggers are obviously compensating in other areas that they are lacking. 

Say what you like about litter, gazebos, chairs or anything else -

But if you have a flag at the front you're blocking the view for literally thousands of people. I don't know how you can do that without asking yourself some searching questions. 

Edited by UEF

On 7/4/2023 at 2:36 PM, El Slido said:

If you're shoulder to shoulder down the front then the little shift lef tor right may not be possible tbh.

So we're agreed? ban flags , tall people and overly elaborate hats from the area between the stage and the sound desk?

Oh and umbrellas too...don't get me started on umbrellas.

Let me know when the poll opens on "should we ban people walking slowly in front of me when I've got 5 minutes to get to Park?"

There’s usually far more room at the front!  Crowd crust sees to this!

On 7/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

Why isn't it?

It is not in any way comparable to flags. 

It doesn't take up nearly as much space and is usually removed during sets. 

It is absolutely a one off which brings joy to a vast number of people at the festival. How many flag bearers are constantly high fived by people who appreciate their flags and asked for selfies by people with their flags? 

The reason that the festival is what it is is because people came up with creative ideas that 'normal' people likely considered stupid, a waste of time, it'll never work etc etc. 

Those ideas were tried and then developed and evolved into some of the most amazing sights, sounds and works of art that we're lucky enough to enjoy every year despite the dissing of the naysayers. What have the latter folk ever contributed to the festival? 

The Pyramid Stage Hat is a classic example of the seed of an idea that has the potential to evolve. I have witnessed exactly this so many times. 

I could continue to try to explain to you quite what I'm getting at here, but hopefully you'll now see the difference between the flags and the hat. 

Cheers 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1