Who should really call it a day?

Mr_Grump

7 minutes ago, Badlands said:

My point was around women in music who reach a certain age and are told to pack it in, while blokes get a free pass. 

GnR are old though no? Pretty sure the reason Axel needs to let it go is because his voice is knackered due to age (and lifestyle). 

Watched it yesterday and Slash still has skills tbc

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Mad how it’s only old ladies who are told to pack it in. Never he anyone say the same about Dylan, Young etc

I agree with the sentiment - I do think women get a harder time about it - especially towards the twilight of their careers - than men do. 

However it's funny to bring Dylan and Neil Young into it. I saw them both 4 years ago in Hyde Park and I was alarmed at their joint top billing, because I feared that Dylan would go on first and I'd have to suffer through him to get to Neil Young. I am a fan of Dylan's albums from his heyday, but now his live shows are something to be endured and only celebrated by his hardcore fans, whereas Neil Young is still a powerful live act and can still provide the "Holy sh1t!!!" moments. His Glasto 2009 set was an all-timer. 

I guess my point is, plenty of people (myself included) have publicly said that Dylan is a dire live act now. And nobody is asking Neil Young to hang up his hat, because he's still rockin' in the free world (sorry). 

1 minute ago, sprocketrocket said:

I saw Dylan about 15 years ago, it was frankly godawful

Saw him 5 years ago and he was amazing!

Lewis Capaldi needs to call it a day for a while and get himself sorted.

71 year old Chrissie Hynde can keep going as long as she likes. Another great Glasto set.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I thought that in 2014, and she’s wrung another nine years out of it tbf 

She was horrendous in 2014. Was actually painful to listen to. Was amazed when I saw Blondie had been invited back. Didn't watch their set this year so have no idea if she's improved, stayed the same or got worse.

I love the Manics, think this weekend was somewhere between 25-30th time I've seen them but James's voice is nowhere near what it used to be, they are playing songs much slower, and the second guitarist is covering a lot more parts. I love hearing those Holy Bible songs again but not with the Anchoress on vocals for one of them and the way they play Faster now they should probably call it Slower. 

They've had a fantastic run, some of the best British guitar albums of the 90s plus the odd highlight in their later career, and they've meant a lot to a lot of people, me included but I can't help but think it might be good to draw things to a close in the next couple of years. 

Haven't Blondie consistently been in the category of "they just aren't all that good live" for a couple of decades now? 

Thought the vocals were really poor this year (although possibly when compared to other aging singers, not all that bad) - but not a great surprise as they just aren't a great live act in general.

10 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

I love the Manics, think this weekend was somewhere between 25-30th time I've seen them but James's voice is nowhere near what it used to be, they are playing songs much slower, and the second guitarist is covering a lot more parts. I love hearing those Holy Bible songs again but not with the Anchoress on vocals for one of them and the way they play Faster now they should probably call it Slower. 

They've had a fantastic run, some of the best British guitar albums of the 90s plus the odd highlight in their later career, and they've meant a lot to a lot of people, me included but I can't help but think it might be good to draw things to a close in the next couple of years. 

That's a bit harsh. I think they've aged better than just about any other act of their vintage, integrity largely intact.

They could probably do with a bit of a hiatus though. They seem to tour non-stop and maybe if the audience was given enough time to miss them they'd be appreciated a bit more.

6 hours ago, Badlands said:

Mad how it’s only old ladies who are told to pack it in. Never he anyone say the same about Dylan, Young etc

I'm quite happy to say Dylan should pack it in. Saw his BST gig at Hyde Park pre-covid and it was absolute pants. 

However, Neil Young, on the same bill, tore the gig up

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

She was horrendous in 2014. Was actually painful to listen to. Was amazed when I saw Blondie had been invited back. Didn't watch their set this year so have no idea if she's improved, stayed the same or got worse.

Exactly the same as me, tbf 🤣 saw her once, thought it was deeply ordinary, saw no reason to repeat it at all. (Would say the exact same thing about Royal Blood too, though they were good in 2014 and deeply average in 2019 - law of diminishing returns innit) 

4 hours ago, Sasperella2 said:

GnR are old though no? Pretty sure the reason Axel needs to let it go is because his voice is knackered due to age (and lifestyle). 

Watched it yesterday and Slash still has skills tbc

His low register is still spot on, he just needs to approach the high bits differently. Elton managed it with Goodbye yellow brick road, get the crowd to sing the really high bits! 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, airwaves said:

I'm quite happy to say Dylan should pack it in. Saw his BST gig at Hyde Park pre-covid and it was absolute pants. 

However, Neil Young, on the same bill, tore the gig up

Yep, to my earlier point. I left a few songs into the Dylan set and had a lovely evening out in London. I have a video of one of his old classics being butchered which I sent to my dad (a massive Dylan fan from back in the day) and he was aghast. 

I was tempted to see a bit of Candi Staton before I realised the Pyramid was starting to become a sh*t show that I had to get their earlier. Glad that was the case looking at her set on iPlayer. Really does need to call it a day. Debbie Harry too but she was surprisingly not as bad as expected, but my expectations were low.

Candi Staton’s voice had gone sadly 😢 Relied on her backing singers. But she is 83 now 😱 When she played WH in 2008 (I think it was..?), she was brilliant. This time, I lasted just 2 songs then headed over to The War On Drugs (and bagging the best spot for QOTSA).

10 hours ago, The Nal said:

Saw him 5 years ago and he was amazing!

Lewis Capaldi needs to call it a day for a while and get himself sorted.

71 year old Chrissie Hynde can keep going as long as she likes. Another great Glasto set.

I see Lewis has taken your advice.   

Who should call it a day? - the list was very long but I've narrowed it down to 7 

(a) The Arctic Monkeys - please stop headlining an event you never seem all that bothered about

(b) Arcadia - job done - or at least move to a different area and release the land for camping

(c) Jo Whiley

(d) Glastonbury on sea - just another excuse to sell more merch

(e) Shangri La - bring back Lost Vagueness all is forgiven (younger readers will have no idea what I'm talking about)

(f) the person who thinks that 203,000+ is a suitable figure for a festival in a relatively limited area - capacity seems to be going up 10,000 per festival since the late 2010's.

(g) The Leftfield stage - perhaps shake it up a bit and acknowledge that not everyone is on the left - having a bit of an alternative political view to balance things up may make for interesting viewing than a tent full of people who clap at everything - John Harris please note.

Glastonbury: 93,94,95,98,00,02,03,04,05,07,08,09,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,23 (yet I still find people who have been more than me)!

Fleadh: 93

Phoenix: 94,97

Reading: 92,01

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Amy Lawn said:

Whoever made the call to let Arctics stink up the joint for the third time, and the local amatuer Guns N Roses tribute act have a crack at the big time, while Lizzo got shafted with an undercard position. The year is 2023.

Absolutely spot on @Amy Lawn. Lizzo should have been top of the bill.