List your "frustrations" here

airwaves

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

As mentioned in the other thread, a general lack of empathy or respect for the festival/other attendees was rife.  Such as,

Pissing on the land. It was everywhere, often in full view of stewards and unchallenged.

Littering. People just dropping sh*t anywhere. Saw a guy drop an empty cannon the floor not 2 metres from the bins.

Open drug taking and to excess. Saw a bunch taking pills and coke, in a crowd, at the bandstand, at 5pm. Another guy who worked in Small World pushed to the front when Cam Cole was on, did a massive line off his hand, the started slam dancing his mates, which meant they were just slamming everyone else there. Could not have cared less. Jumped on my wife’s foot which is badly bruised. Never said a word.

God, you sound like a right laugh. Camp Bestival might not annoy so much. One of the very essential elements of Glastonbury for me and my mates is the freedom to do as many drugs as you like, wherever you like, whenever you like. Although I tend to sniff more ket than coke in the daytime, I don't see why anyone should have any qualms about people doing bumps of whatever at the stages, or indeed wherever they feel like it. There isn't meant to be many rules at a festival, if a person doing drugs near offends you then Glasotnbury is no longer for you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

- if Carhenge is here to stay, judging by the foundations dug for it.. it is. Then it needs a stage with similar upcoming underground indie/alternative acts to hold crowd footfall. In its current form once you've seen it there's no reason to return after you've seen the chaps hit a few cans with sticks.

- Needs to be an additional stage with acts on to alleviate Thursday overcrowding. Avalons new tent would be perfect. 

- Flags blocking views. I don't want to get rid of them but prevent people with them from going into the main stage D ring/golden circle area. Stipulate a minimum height requirement. 

- Not enough late night music options. Getting Earache on board is a good start but bring back the stage. Festival lacks metal/indie late night options, and the demand for this is apparent.

- Dance music variety. Serious lack of Techno and it's subgenres. 

- Showers. Need longer opening hours in the morning and evening, opening times have remained the same for many years despite the increase in capacity. It's got to a point where people are waking up at 6am to queue for an hour till doors open as this is more time effective then arriveing at opening and having a 2hr wait.

- Shangri-la, the placement of hell stage opposite food stalls and the bar leads to people queuing outwards into a very small passing pathway. Had some of the worst crushes here. Needs a revamp.

- Peeing on the land. Worst year to date for it in the Shangri-la loos. Oxfam stewards constantly yelling on megaphones that people risk being removed if they do it.. fell on death ears and people soon cottened on this wasn't actually enforceable.

- Park Screens. This comes up every year, great that we've got the screens in Avalon now. Let's get a similar setup for Park please including one on the back of the sounddesk.

- Gate security. Lacking searches this year both on the wristband gate and vehicle gate. Was in a large group of 20 and no one got searched. Seemed to be alot more pyro, NOS and drugs this year.

One main issue which I've always found at Glastonbury is the music at night, everywhere you go it's just drum & bass, they just need a good few basic DJs playing songs people know as well. 

And then with drugs, we need to understand that the drugs themselves aren't the problem it's when utter d*ckheads are taking them. It's not good to be judgemental about drug-taking but also people just need to learn to be respectful when they take drugs and not take anything they can't handle.

Tolerance to drugs, zero tolerance to d*ckheads. 

Edited by Acid_Haze
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

4 hours ago, eatingglitter said:

People openly pissing in the crowd waiting for Elton. I saw women who were  wearing other stage and pyramid stage work lanyards who all crowded round each other pissing on the floor. We were right by the toilets as well. 

It was so impossible to get out where I was and I had kids with me. I ended up wetting myself! Didn't want to but there was nothing I could do!!

• Like 1

For late night drinking and singalong, Taphouse between Leftfield and West Holts plays pop and indie and has a great atmosphere. Blur, Arctics, Franz, Fratellis, Nirvana etc plus Angels, Come On Eileen. Found it in 2019 and default post headliner spot now.

My irritation was e-bikes, only saw three but two forced me to take evasive action and the third went through Avalon tent whilst waiting for Lottery Winners. How long till we see e-scooters.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

One main issue which I've always found at Glastonbury is the music at night, everywhere you go it's just drum & bass, they just need a good few basic DJs playing songs people know as well. 

And then with drugs, we need to understand that the drugs themselves aren't the problem it's when utter d*ckheads are taking them. It's not good to be judgemental about drug-taking but also people just need to learn to be respectful when they take drugs and not take anything they can't handle.

Yeah but drugs do affect how people act, right? Loads of people smoking weed would be acting very differently to loads of people on the piss. You can say just be nice but that isn't realistic. 

Put acid in the water.

Is it just me or was the sound emanating from the south east corner ridiculously loud from midnight until 5am? Could possibly have been from astrolab but that closed around 230am so I'm pretty sure it was from temple/common. Seemed like very bassey house music? I mean I get the need for after hours stuff but not sure that volume is needed until 5am? Audible in most of cockmill and I'd imagine possibly pennards and further? Even with ear plugs it was really loud!

It was louder than the pyramid stage which was much closer and daytime.

Edited by dcsessions

8 hours ago, p.pete said:

o2 network was atrocious, massive headache trying to coordinate with people 

8 hours ago, Aragorn said:

Agree, I took another phone with a Vodafone sim that was much better than my o2 one

I caved in on Thursday afternoon and got a Vodafone SIM. At least it was easy and they didn't try to sign me into any contracts. Messaged my new number to important people who aren't on FB Messenger, added benefit of not getting contacted by anyone annoying who might spoil my weekend 😁

Although the beer prices were good, the measure was always way below a pint so actually worked out a lot more than advertised.  And it was (unsurprisingly) warm.  I love my beer (hence my name) but will probably not bother buying much from the bars in future as it's barely better than a warm can and much more expensive.

Agree about the emphasis on one type of music after hours but found that my tastes were catered for to a large extent by T&C, Circus and the wonderful Rimsky's Yard (thanks to whoever first posted about this) though I shall try also to find more non-dance music as well.

Feel that the increase in hospitality camping over by Gate A and the resulting layout change has really affected the character of the area.  Having non see through fencing seems to create a "plebs mustn't look in" vibe to me.  

Chair w*nkers...

But on the whole, I felt it was better in lots of ways, including queue and overcrowding, than last year so onwards and upwards!

5 hours ago, ProperTea said:

It's not a crime to bunk in, it's trespass, so the police aren't interested and once they get kicked out, they can try as many times as they like, through as many different routes, until they get in.

I thought it was quieter this year than 2022. I heard they had hired hundreds of extra security this year and that last year a lot of the security staff went on strike on Wednesday because their campsite had no toilets and showers, so there was no one to deal with people running through the gates. So much easier to get in in 2022.

My biggest shock this year was discovering that local tickets are transferrable "up to 5 times" by writing names on the back of the ticket. You can't use pencil to write the names, but you can get pens that can be rubbed out. So if you go in, pull your wristband off and send someone out with the wristband and the local ticket, they can sell it on outside the festival. The going rate was £500 apparently.

Would be quite simple to implement a QR code system like the EPOs have on all wristbands and it would remove people's ability to use this route in.

They can add 5 people but they can only go in one at a time. It’s quite odd. Only the lead ticket holder gets a wristband. The others hold the ticket, one at a time, and can only get in with the ticket. There is no more risk of passing on wristbands than there is for anyone else.

The only objection to EPO wristbands I can think of is the reduction of ‘single use plastic’. A few years ago they did give EPOs to campervan fields and they had issues with them using crew facilties, but they’d only need to make crew and public wristbands different colours. The current ‘passout’ system where you have to have your ticket, wristband and your passout slip to get in & out is a nightmare for everyone concerned. So many lost tickets and pass outs - loads of extra running about and unnecessary confrontation for everyone! 

6 hours ago, Stoney43 said:

People leaving their rubbish all over the site, it seemed a lot worse this year

People still pissing on the floor. I saw one guy getting a telling off for pissing in the bushes next to a urinal- must suffer from stage fright

Just walked round pyramid camping areas 

20230626_215324.jpg

20230626_214111.jpg

20230626_213006.jpg

20230626_213003.jpg

20230626_212922.jpg

IMG-20230626-WA0007.jpeg

IMG-20230626-WA0009.jpeg

9 hours ago, fat_man_joe said:

Bang on. So many acts on the Cabaret were visibly put off by stuff pumping into the tent from outside. Similarly, I bailed on Max Richter because – unless you were down the front – the Stonebridge Bar was ruining the experience.

Beth Orton doing Stolen Car acoustic on her own, being drowned out by a man shouting something like "Push it! Push it!" in Glasto Latino wasn't a vibe. 

Another one for the lack of nighttime music that wasn’t drum and bass. We went to taphouse one night but other than that the only indie night was a 1 hour set by baggy Mondays (they have a 4 hour 11-3am set at Kendal calling so why do they only do an hour in the afternoon here). Why can’t they bring back silent disco for a weds/thur night to ease some of the crowds. I heard one same song about 8 times over the weekend spun by different DJ’s of the same genre. 

There seemed to be a distinct lack of ‘glasto moments’ for me this year too. Like the little quirks that made it special. I always remember there would be like the phones that would ring and other cool things like that. San Reno area just looks like a desert wasteland. 

People breaking in. I think most of the overcrowding is because of this. Saw at least 3-4 scouse groups. All with loads of hair bangles on their arms to disguise. One group of girls were saying how the trader is getting coach loads of people in for £500 and he was doing it all weekend up to Sunday. It’s beyond now. Why can’t they put in some barriers like the south east corner entrance across the main walkways from campsites/main pathways to check wristbands. 

some of the new layout and paths with no cut throughs were terrible. Big green fences. Felt like a maze walking around towards gate A. 

5 minutes ago, amfy said:

They can add 5 people but they can only go in one at a time. It’s quite odd. Only the lead ticket holder gets a wristband. The others hold the ticket, one at a time, and can only get in with the ticket. There is no more risk of passing on wristbands than there is for anyone else.

That's not the dodge, though.

The dodge is that the lack of photo on the ticket, and I believe lack of passout, means the if someone can "borrow" a wristband that's already been issued, they can use that ticket+wristband a substantial amount of times.

The accreditation system is badly in need of a massive overhaul, and has been for a very long time now. There's so many different variations on ticket and wristband types each with their own quirks that there's now some gaping holes. Worse, there's relatively senior people within some of the areas that seemingly feel like the gate rules don't apply to them and/or their crew/artists. As a result it's just not realistic to expect gate staff to both keep on top of this and also keep the gates flowing smoothly.

I've said this before, but the whole process pretty much needs to be redesigned from the ground up, and then enforced strictly and uniformly. If that then flags up some oddities, and it will, then address the situation as it arises.

1 hour ago, Acid_Haze said:

Cocaine turns nice people into dickheads. I generally consider myself a bit naive about all that drug stuff, but I've known enough people who take coke "recreationally" and they completely change character, rarely in a good way.

I thought it was my naivety that I was surprised to see so much open drug taking, but I feel sort of better knowing others noticed it too.

1 minute ago, incident said:

That's not the dodge, though.

The dodge is that the lack of photo on the ticket, and I believe lack of passout, means the if someone can "borrow" a wristband that's already been issued, they can use that ticket+wristband a substantial amount of times.

The accreditation system is badly in need of a massive overhaul, and has been for a very long time now. There's so many different variations on ticket and wristband types each with their own quirks that there's now some gaping holes. Worse, there's relatively senior people within some of the areas that seemingly feel like the gate rules don't apply to them and/or their crew/artists. As a result it's just not realistic to expect gate staff to both keep on top of this and also keep the gates flowing smoothly.

I've said this before, but the whole process pretty much needs to be redesigned from the ground up, and then enforced strictly and uniformly. If that then flags up some oddities, and it will, then address the situation as it arises.

There’s no photos on performer or hospitality tickets either. 
The people who are added to villager tickets do need ID & don’t need a wristband so the wristband is a dead issue for them

……but you are right that the million different ticket types just makes it really tough to keep track, slows everything down, and makes it easier to blag.

Funnily enough, I got 2 police double checked because I thought I don’t really know what a genuine police ID looks like so anyone could knock something up and get past me if I took it at face value!

43 minutes ago, Bristol Boy said:

For late night drinking and singalong, Taphouse between Leftfield and West Holts plays pop and indie and has a great atmosphere. Blur, Arctics, Franz, Fratellis, Nirvana etc plus Angels, Come On Eileen. Found it in 2019 and default post headliner spot now.

My irritation was e-bikes, only saw three but two forced me to take evasive action and the third went through Avalon tent whilst waiting for Lottery Winners. How long till we see e-scooters.

I worked in the bar here for Shelter on Saturday night.  Was an amazing atmosphere - people dancing on the tables. Those that say there's only DnB late nights just aren't looking hard enough 😀

My main gripe is worth the public really.  You hear talk of the Glastonbury spirit etc and I’m sure loads of us are fine, right thinking individuals.

The general lack of respect and manners towards others shown by some is staggering.  I know it’s tough at times and you have to be focused but loads of folk are so self absorbed and ignorant that they would quite happily walk straight through you without a look or an apology. The worse thing is it kind of makes me a little like it after a while.

Flags

It is too full now but I appreciate we all want a ticket but as others have said some of the the pinch points are avoidable.  Why they put an act on directly opposite the exits from the pier?  That was horrid Thursday afternoon.

Lana Del Rey I was so looking forward to her and while she was on it was near perfect.  I don’t know the full story so won’t judge but I hope at least this may teach her she isn’t the center of the universe.  (My cat Mrs Hollie holds that title)

Had a blast though. 😁

Edited by Derby_Dave
  • Upvote 1

The lack of diverse music late night has always been an issue. This was my 9th Glastonbury, and I've never found a post-headliner venue that has held my attention from longer than 30 minutes. It's sorely missing a chill out zone playing some nice quiet vibes, maybe Ibiza style, maybe indie. Remember those Ministry of Sound chillout albums? That's what I want when I'm coming down from an epic headline act.

The queues for water were ridiculous at times. A sink with a single tap which has pressure which causes a water fountain in every bottle within 3 seconds seems oddly wasteful to me.