young fathers

Neil

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

"This one's for Suella....SHAME!"

Powerful stuff, throughout.  I'd like to see them perform on the big pointy one and terrify the daily mail readers.

As long as I can be in the pit for it.

Unfortunately I think they wont ever get on owd pointy, but they should. 

• Upvote 1

I saw them in 2013 after hearing their first mixtapes. I had Tape Two on my mp3 player lol. 

It was in a tent stage and for the first few tracks there was only three of us in the audience. It was me, my mate, and Big Jeff Johns.

Good progress for some guys from Leith eh

• Like 4

They were brilliant and a couple of hours later we passed them on one of the paths walking around the site - there were several of them looking fab and getting a few lovely shouts from other folks passing (I think it wasn't just my sis anyway 😊

Edited by clarkete

Completely agree with everything in here. I came across them through cocoa sugar, and tbh, was a bit puzzled. As there were some incredible songs that really spoke to me, but also several songs that did absolutely nothing. Kept on going back to it and their earlier albums though, and the rest of their stuff grew on me as well, but I think I still felt it was a bit all over the place in terms of style (which I know is part of the point). Then Heavy Heavy came out this year for me at least they’d finally pulled everything together into one incredible coherent piece, whilst still showing so many different influences.

And then at Glastonbury, just unbelievable stuff, a real intensity to everything, and pretty uncompromising (two bits of crowd interaction I think?). And everyone in the crowd getting completely into it. Forced my wife to listen to heavy heavy a bit in the lead up and despite not really being her thing, she thought it was one of the best things she saw all weekend, and one friend came along with us having never heard them before and was pretty amazed as well by the whole thing. 

This is the one set that I wished I had seen. Was watching other ones as have seen them a lot. They are very good live, shows have got better as their confidence has risen but have always been special. First saw them at Latitude in 2013, were on the Alcove Stage, only about 10 people there but put on the full show and knew they were destined for a lot more.

@Tiesto13 this post is exactly it. HeavyHeavy brought it all together but when you watch them live now you can still see how different all the components are underneath - and thus the brilliance with how its been made seemlessly coherent.

My friends are tired of me going on about this set I think. And my cat is definifely sick of listening to them... 

53 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Think I need to listen to them properly because watching half hour of their set it did nothing for me…

Have you watched the ending? That got me absolutely fired up.

How loud it was (especially the drums) doesnt come across on the TV. It was like a massive ball of energy being shoved down your neck.

I was asked to describe what it was like when I got back to meet my mates...

"Arcade Fire meets public enemy, meets African music, meets punk, meets soul, meets a wall of noise at the end. It was unreal"

• Upvote 1

I love how compact they are stood together on stage. Appreciate a lot of bands don't actually like each other and having everyone spread out is a necessity but if you're looking for energy, getting everyone shoulder to shoulder and weaving in and out naturally like YF do, is surely the way to do it

It's choreography but not as we know it

Echo what a lot of people are saying here - Elton will be what I remember from 2023 but YF we're clear in my mind the best

Edited by Alcatraz

10 hours ago, Chawk said:

I saw them in 2013 after hearing their first mixtapes. I had Tape Two on my mp3 player lol. 

It was in a tent stage and for the first few tracks there was only three of us in the audience. It was me, my mate, and Big Jeff Johns.

Good progress for some guys from Leith eh

I figure that when there's a band on with three people watching and one of those is Big Jeff, that's a seal of quality right there!

The thing that struck me last week was that they'd previously always been one of those bands that have the critical acclaim and the subsequent festival slots, but never really the audience to go with it. This time felt totally different for them, good sized crowd who were totally bought in from the start. 

• Upvote 1

They were one of my must sees before the line up came out, considered going to Sparks instead because of their age and it maybe being my last chance but stuck to my guns and I was glad I did. All of my must sees delivered this year but this one might have had best position in crowd, best atmosphere around me. Best thing is they were the only one of my must sees that weren’t a must see for my husband and he has declared them one of the best of the weekend as well. 

I think that they are a band who are very much about to break through and get the widespread recognition they deserve.  I can't help feeling that a sub headline slot on the pyramid would be a solid move for the festival in both promoting artists outside of the pop mainstream and a British act that have just continued to refine, polish and improve their recorded and live music.  

I've rewatched the gig (again) tonight and maybe I'm just a bit toasted, but I reckon they could absolutely smash it in front of a prime time audience.  I'm massively jealous of anyone who was in that field last weekend, it really was one of the greats as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

I’m not so sure about that. Underneath that fearsome presentation and amazing drumming is some real musicianship - rhythm and melodies that come through. I think if they continue developing from the last album they will smash it. The field was rocking last Friday. No reason it can’t be replicated. 

Edited by chuckles07
  • Upvote 1

They have a ceiling with the maimstream. The "say it loud, say it clear" alone will turn a more than some people off.

That's without the music not being as "accessible" as other acts.

They had the right amount of anger to  disgust quite a few, & even to put a bit of fear into some. 

The most exciting act Ive seen in ages.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Couldn't help wondering if Gareth Gates watched them and whether he has revised his opinion of them yet.

😄 his comments have always stayed in my head, i'd love to know what he expects of a live performance! more hair gel and pouting, and less drums and soul of course 

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

😄 his comments have always stayed in my head, i'd love to know what he expects of a live performance! more hair gel and pouting, and less drums and soul of course 

Yep it was just a proper odd tweet so it's always stayed with me.

One of the best sets of the weekend, but I knew it would be. Fourth time seeing them for me and it just concreted my love of them. When I saw them in Bristol earlier this year I was second row and the intensity of their performance and their anger made me feel physically uncomfortable, for a band to have that impact on their audience is incredible! 

9 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Couldn't help wondering if Gareth Gates watched them and whether he has revised his opinion of them yet.

What a bizarre little man he is. 

No one likes a music snob, but particularly not when its a manufactured reality pop runner up....