Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

7 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I like the flags, they add to the atmosphere and its part of the fabric of the festival. Even if they tried to ban them they couldn't. NOS is banned and people just walk around sucking baloons and manage to bring massive plastic bottles of the sh*t in these days. I'd rather they focus their efforts on eradicating that.

It’s not one or the other. And even if they reduced that would be great. 

I appreciate not everyone cares about seeing the stage, but for lots of people it does matter. 

11 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I like the flags, they add to the atmosphere and its part of the fabric of the festival. Even if they tried to ban them they couldn't. NOS is banned and people just walk around sucking baloons and manage to bring massive plastic bottles of the sh*t in these days. I'd rather they focus their efforts on eradicating that.

They would be able to do it if it's inside a certain area. If they had the same barriers as the entrance to the SE corner from T+C with stewards at the entrance to the front sections of each stage, they could stop people from blocking the stage

Flags only behind the sound desk would solve the problem instantly. I am fast becoming of the opinion that they should have coloured zones and for flags, camping chairs and picnic blankets they should tell you that you can only have them in certain zones. First act of the day when it’s empty knock yourself out and go to the front if you want as it’s usually dead but if it’s busy those who want seats and flags should have to go towards the back. 

No chance can't ban the flags and nutters who carry them all day😄, there a big part of Glastonbury culture tbf.

Could ask people not to take them into the pit, or for them to be lowered before a set starts in the same way they ask people to stand up for more room, over the speakers etc When fields are busy

• Upvote 1

Emily Eavis was sitting up near the ice cream van to the left of the tree for Cat Stevens. She would have witnessed the lack of visibility of the stage and quite a few occasions when some giant green flag was dangling pointlessly on a pole totally blocking the camera shot of Cat for the screens. I hope she realises how utterly sh*t they are for the majority of people who go to watch. Even by the stage it was terrible last year.

When you pay £300+ to see acts and instead you see a flag show… it’s time to ban them. I know that a ban wouldn’t eradicate them overnight, but I think over a few festivals they’d disappear, as they fall out of favour. Didn’t see that many gazebos this year.

as for the argument that they add to the atmosphere… would Glastonbury sans flags really be noticeably worse in any way. For so many it would be a massive improvement.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Personally I ever get myself close to the front so the flags don't matter or I am sat at the back in plenty of space with my camping chair and 50ft picnic blanket not giving a monkey about seeing the stage. 😛 

You’re alright, Jack.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think most see it on TV and think - oh, lets do that...

I would imagine only a small number of festival goers come on forums like these.

I think you're right. I don't think they are selfish I think they just don't know most people don't want them.

I think the only solution is to have a tips on the screens in-between acts, one of which is:

"so as not to block the view from others behind you, please do not bring flags beyond the sound desk"

It would not stop them entirely but it would certainly make a difference. 

Although this would be assuming flag people can read. 

Edited by danbailey80

At two different sets on The Other I saw security tell people to take flags down in the pit as "they were blocking the view of the cameras".

Just ban more than one on a pole. If you have more than that then it's removed. Even the 'Kendall in the Wind" flag winner was a 2 flag w*nker.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Fix that for you...

Its hard to say just how many people don't want them.  They don't bother me.  

Loads moaned about them around me this year. 

Does anyone thing the the gigs away from Pyramid (West Holts, JP etc) where there were just the occasional flag and you can almost always see the stage lack atmosphere?

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Problem with no flags is you need enforcement which bring a whole new level of problems with security wading through huge crowds confronting people.   I know t works in other festivals but Glastonbury has a different vibe we wouldn't want to lose.  Live and let live and all that.

Nah, the vast majority of people follow the rules if the festival clearly explain it's what they want. It's why we saw all those Chinese lanterns for a few years and then never again. Most people abide by the rules because they want to, many more would be to worried not to (but what if my bag gets searched and they find my flag!) - a few will continue to do so but if you cut the number of flags by 90% then honestly the job is done.

The festival just don't have the will to do it, at least until the next renewal with the BBC.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nah, the vast majority of people follow the rules if the festival clearly explain it's what they want. It's why we saw all those Chinese lanterns for a few years and then never again. Most people abide by the rules because they want to, many more would be to worried not to (but what if my bag gets searched and they find my flag!) - a few will continue to do so but if you cut the number of flags by 90% then honestly the job is done.

The festival just don't have the will to do it, at least until the next renewal with the BBC.

I think the BBC would love not having flags in front of the sound desk. They noticeably got in the way of the camera a few times 

Edited by strummer77

33 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

I think the BBC would love not having flags in front of the sound desk. They noticeably got in the way of the camera a few times 

BBC director must absolutely loath them. They are an utter nightmare for your juicy camera shots

I’m not one for sitting around in the same place too long so I’m always off doing my own thing but it’s been relatively easy to meet up with friends this weekend just by finding the nearest flag to them. 

They definitely do serve a purpose when in a group and not dangerous to other people.

What we should be talking about is banning chairs within a certain range of a stage and crack down on the smoke flares. Not sure what was in the flares this year but there was a lot of people coughing nearby when they were going off.

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m not one for sitting around in the same place too long so I’m always off doing my own thing but it’s been relatively easy to meet up with friends this weekend just by finding the nearest flag to them. 

They definitely do serve a purpose when in a group and not dangerous to other people.

What we should be talking about is banning chairs within a certain range of a stage and crack down on the smoke flares. Not sure what was in the flares this year but there was a lot of people coughing nearby when they were going off.

Agree chairs shouldn’t be anywhere other than the very back when it is busy. However there’s loads of ways to find people without flags, and people should be able to see a gig if they want to. 

I used to think the same about navigation but there’s ways of doing it without selfishly spoiling others views. You can meet at start/end of sets, there’s ice cream vans, viewing platforms, speaker stands etc.

I guess an option could be to have permanent flag poles around the field with designs on. But none in the front pit is the one that would sort it most (and you can still navigate to anywhere that isn’t at the front)

Edited by strummer77

12 minutes ago, Helsbels said:

I honestly dont see why people have an issue with flags, in my 12 visits to farm Ive never had my view obstructed and they totally make the atmosphere so much better

Here’s a photo from next to the disabled platform on the right hand side and it was a stretch to see ANY of the stage for most of the afternoon. So loads of people in wheelchairs etc on the platform couldn’t see  

Honestly I can’t understand why people are against some sort of rules to allow people to view the stage! There has to be some compromise to allow both to happen.

Yes people can pick better spots on quieter gigs but for something like Elton you had to take where you could get to and be comfortable. Just  seeing a wall of flags should not be ok.81BBB0F0-290B-47B4-A670-36A7BC880028.thumb.jpeg.8b7e0ca6bd5ffd3e4eb245e1b5515af7.jpeg

Edited by strummer77
  • Upvote 4

I seem to remember the festival did a poll a few years back and it was roughly 50/50 for ban/keep, with keep coming out marginally ahead.

Numbers will change now, buy I say this just to make the point that neither side is in a tiny minority on this. It's not just 10 angry people on forums that don't like them and it's not just the people who take them that *do* like them. Lots of people on both side. Point being, have the discussion but anyone claiming that one side is tiny compared to the other is straight up wrong.

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Here’s a photo from next to the disabled platform on the right hand side and it was a stretch to see ANY of the stage for most of the afternoon. So loads of people in wheelchairs etc on the platform couldn’t see  

Honestly I can’t understand why people are against some sort of rules to allow people to view the stage! There has to be some compromise to allow both to happen.

Yes people can pick better spots on quieter gigs but for something like Elton you had to take where you could get to and be comfortable  seeing a wall of flags should be ok  81BBB0F0-290B-47B4-A670-36A7BC880028.thumb.jpeg.8b7e0ca6bd5ffd3e4eb245e1b5515af7.jpeg

It is absolutely crazy to have an elevated disabled viewing platform that has no view of the stage!

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It is absolutely crazy to have an elevated disabled viewing platform that has no view of the stage!

It’s about half way back as well, so huge numbers of people who for whatever reason can’t deal with the crush at the front see no stage at all. 

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I seem to remember the festival did a poll a few years back and it was roughly 50/50 for ban/keep, with keep coming out marginally ahead.

Numbers will change now, buy I say this just to make the point that neither side is in a tiny minority on this. It's not just 10 angry people on forums that don't like them and it's not just the people who take them that *do* like them. Lots of people on both side. Point being, have the discussion but anyone claiming that one side is tiny compared to the other is straight up wrong.

Agree. The fact there are two large camps is why there should be a compromise (and there’s been good suggestions in here that would allow people to see the stage and keep flags)