Tent Peg Advice

BloodyJonesy

So the tent pegs that came with my tent are trash and barely survived a Kendal Calling trip, and we know what the ground there is like...

Does anyone have any recommendations on new tent pegs? Every one on Amazon is "heavy duty", then there are some with the nice plastic bits on the top, it's a minefield...

6 minutes ago, BloodyJonesy said:

So the tent pegs that came with my tent are trash and barely survived a Kendal Calling trip, and we know what the ground there is like...

I have spent the weekend on site and the ground is as hard as it gets. big cracks and very dry, hard surface.  Rock pegs recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd look for the word "titanium" and then beyond that whichever style works best for you.

Obviously remembering that titanium in this case means an alloy and not pure aircraft grade stuff. But I've found them to be very light, thinner than you normally get (so hammer in easier), and still stronger than typical.

38 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I'm 99% sure these are the ones we have and they haven't let me down yet 🙂 Take a mallet too though.

58 minutes ago, BloodyJonesy said:

So I've found these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HU1UKDS/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A1255JNDU677MF&psc=1

Not titanium, but listed as alloy so who knows... 

Just ordered these, hopefully will arrive today. End up having to replace a few "noodled" pegs every year hoping these will hold up a little better.

Edited by I am Jon

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve had one confirm from site that standard pegs seem ok … anyone else before I nip to go outdoors 

I've always managed to get standard pegs in, but if already bent from previous years they can be impossible. Always good to have a few spares with you.

6 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

I've always managed to get standard pegs in, but if already bent from previous years they can be impossible. Always good to have a few spares with you.

Just seen state of ground report so I’m confident I don’t need to spend the extra now and I’ve already got a few spares 

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Is titanium the best choice? Post festival they run a big magnet over the ground to collect any lost metal.

Titanium isn’t magnetic so would get missed if left behind. Wouldn’t want a cow standing on one. 

At 2 quid a tent peg, I don't lose them. Would be more concerned about the cheap and flimsy aluminium tent pegs that you sometimes get with cheap tents and also won't be magnetic.

Edited by incident

Just get some cheap arse ones from Sports Direct, they are only pegs and it doesn't matter if they come home with you, much like the whole tent and camping chairs etc in general. Go for the cheap option so when you cant be f**ked to pack it all up on Monday you can just leave it there at minimal financial cost to yourself. 

There was a bit of an amusing trend last year of people at festivals nicking a tent peg out of the ground every time they wanted to hoof a bump of K, many of the tents around our large group were barely pegged at all by the end of Boomtown. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, BloodyJonesy said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on new tent pegs? Every one on Amazon is "heavy duty", then there are some with the nice plastic bits on the top, it's a minefield...

Aldi selling very good "heavy duty" pegs at the minute for £7, bargain