Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

1 minute ago, username666 said:

Which day are you flying out?  You can fly to Reus from Birmingham.  Or Madrid and get the train. 

Flying out on the Wednesday. Flying back with the same airline (Vueling). I need to investigate more, once my annoyance has subsided. Thanks for the suggestions, I wanted direction  to Barcelona but 100% look into them. Cheers 

Yeah wow that Glastonbury lineup makes me even more excited about Primavera. 

When every other festival is clearly struggling to find exclusive moments to make their festival unmissable, Primavera has secured the best set of names.

Jai Paul, Troye Sivan, Pulp, Vampire Weekend, Lana all missing from the Glastonbury lineup and funnily enough the names that make the Primavera poster really pop to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, chilirocker said:

With the exception of LCD, I think we won having the strongest lineup this year - no really unique acts there that haven’t played Prima recently:

Not that hard. Line up is so ZZZ, even Green Man this year puts this to shame.

apologies if this has been covered earlier on here, but a friend got a free upgrade to VIP last week - via an email out of the blue, for being a "longstanding customer" - check your spam folders, apparently. He's been going 20 years. sadly, i alternate buying tickets with my mates each year so missed out.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chilirocker said:

With the exception of LCD, I think we won having the strongest lineup this year - no really unique acts there that haven’t played Prima recently:

image.thumb.png.395b5fe20dbf58894b4cb9a79ffb9529.png

I think there's a good mid range here. Headliners are flat (IMO) . But even those acts that I think are decent (say Idles or Jamie xx or Lankum) are either at PS or played it very recently. 

6 hours ago, Matt1976 said:

Flying out on the Wednesday. Flying back with the same airline (Vueling). I need to investigate more, once my annoyance has subsided. Thanks for the suggestions, I wanted direction  to Barcelona but 100% look into them. Cheers 

There’s a Ryanair direct flight at 16.10 too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobhoward said:

Nick Cave and the bad seeds are touring EU this fall with a BCN date. Wonder if that basically rules them out for 2025. Bummer 

Well he’s got to do Mad Cool one day. But agree: amways a AA name on any lineup.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

As much as I like PJ Harvey, I just can’t see this particular latest album translating well to Mordor. 

Agreed. It's a shame there's not a festival before Primavera which will give us an idea on the way the setlist is gonna pan out. I'm hoping it's more of a mix for the outdoor gigs.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

As much as I like PJ Harvey, I just can’t see this particular latest album translating well to Mordor. 

I don't really think she's suited to a huge stage in general but I agree - definitely not with the last album.

Since there are 5 top line names on Sunday, I'd like to see her play a smaller stage like Cupra but probably no chance.

56 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I don't really think she's suited to a huge stage in general but I agree - definitely not with the last album.

Since there are 5 top line names on Sunday, I'd like to see her play a smaller stage like Cupra but probably no chance.

However, if last year was st vincent (at 20 pm), polachek, calvin harris, rosalia (closing at 3 am) maybe one of those 5 (mitski or pj harvey) could actually be bumped to amazon stage top name clashing with sza. 
The first of those names to play could be mitski and I can't see her playing at 19. It's too early for the quite big crowd she will draw. Sza vs mitski/pj harvey would be a nice addition to the series of horrible clashes we have been subjected these last years. If they did nick cave vs bauhaus they are able to do anything 

Edited by Whos3000_

Sorry for the off topic: which other european festivals (in Germany and central Europe, preferentially) happening in May/June have some crossover with Primavera Sound when it comes to acts/taste/vibe? 
I happen to be in southern Germany from april to july and I would like to catch acts that are not at primavera/that I won't see at primavera. 
I already know southside festival

Edited by Whos3000_

5 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

Agreed. It's a shame there's not a festival before Primavera which will give us an idea on the way the setlist is gonna pan out. I'm hoping it's more of a mix for the outdoor gigs.

Yes, exactly.

Though based on the past she will probably play 80% of the new album and then half a dozen others, leaning towards stuff from more recent albums.

I don't know PJ Harvey well and I don't know where to start with her music - from what I've heard I see what you mean about she might not suit main stage, though Glasto have her on mainstage so I guess her festival set will be more of a mix?

9 minutes ago, allribena said:

I don't know PJ Harvey well and I don't know where to start with her music - from what I've heard I see what you mean about she might not suit main stage, though Glasto have her on mainstage so I guess her festival set will be more of a mix?

She'll likely play the same set at both and likely neither will be a mix, both will be overwhelmingly her new album. Some would call it not compromising her artistic principles to please an audience.  People do expect to hear 'greatest hits' at a festival (or at least more upbeat numbers) and likely will be a lot of chatter during her set.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, allribena said:

I really like Stories from the City, Rid of Me and Dry - would start with those but she has a very consistent catalog. No real duds.

1 hour ago, Whos3000_ said:

Sorry for the off topic: which other european festivals (in Germany and central Europe, preferentially) happening in May/June have some crossover with Primavera Sound when it comes to acts/taste/vibe? 
I happen to be in southern Germany from april to july and I would like to catch acts that are not at primavera/that I won't see at primavera. 
I already know southside festival

Maybe Maifeld Derby in Mannheim (Germany) could be a festival for you, but it‘s a small one.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, UsernameHere said:

I really like Stories from the City, Rid of Me and Dry - would start with those but she has a very consistent catalog. No real duds.

I would start with her new album as that’s what she’ll be playing. Stories is amazing - her very best for me - but yeah she doesn't release bad albums.