Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

3 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

As we see Pulp and PJ Harvey as fixed here, just a quick side note: Both are at Way Out West - much smaller than PS - and are explicitly not headliners.

I expect them to co-headline at WOW like they do at Øyafestivalen. Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys did the same at Øyafestivalen in 2018.

3 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

YF, Alice Glass and Charlotte and Bolis all at Wide Awake, get these booked 

King Gizzard also there, weird that they are touring and doing festivals around that time but coming to Primavera.

On the other note Young Fathers seem to be secured, plus the rest of the artists that you have mentioned. 

3 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

There have been several across Twitter and reddit. And of course you'd stay anonymous as a survivor, if you have seen how other survivors are treated. Its also an open secret Maynard has a similiar system to that of Rammstein.

I'm not weighing in on the debate itself, but Tool would obviously be inconsistent with PS policy. Even if the rape accusations were false, the fact alone he has an established system to pick girls from the audience to have sex with - often much younger ones - is an absolute red flag by the standards PS employs.

You're gonna have to show sources/links of those other allegations. MJK having a system to pick up girls for sex was just a thing he did in the 90's, but it was all consentual from what we can gather (see various stories from older sites as Groupie Central). It takes two to tango.

Edited by SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot

12 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

You're gonna have to show sources/links of those other allegations. MJK having a system to pick up girls for sex was just a thing he did in the 90's, but it was all consentual from what we can gather (see various stories from older sites as Groupie Central). It takes two to tango.

As I said, I'm not gonna dive into this further, because this thread is not about Tool or the allegations against MJK, but solely serves to discuss their possibility for PS, where I think this complex is a relevant factor. If you can spare the time for a google search though, you'll find several articles aggregating the different accounts out there.

And yeah, probably a lot of the sexual realtions he had through this system were consesual. But still its something that would nowadaysc be viewed  by many to be an abuse of a position of power and that does not fare welll with the environment of PS.

Edited by Quadrophobia

-Sleater-Kinney said they would be back in Europe next year, so maybe Primavera.
-Stereolab haven't played since 2019 and re-start their tour tonight.
-Lankum is my new favourite band, they would fit well on a smaller stage.
-I really hope Primavera invites the 90s indie band Rex to Europe/UK. They were revived for a Numero Uno festival in LA but their homepage then disappeared (probably lack of funds and lack of booking).
-Codeine
-The Chameleons, in my opinion much better than Interpol who copied them, both musically and in terms of stage presence, and are still touring.
-Blonde Redhead, current tour feels a bit more of the same, but always pleasant.
-Kronos Quartet at 50.

Won't happen: Brian Eno. The new show is great but it would probably cost the price of top headliner.

• Upvote 4

I can't find a full tour list, but 30 Seconds to Mars just announced a tour ending on May 29th in Lisbon, without any Spanish dates...

EDIT: nevermind, there is a Madrid date on the 27th and they have also been announced for O Son Do Camino in Santiago

Edited by cirez21

I know it's a completely different audience and genre of music, but the booker of Download just gave an interview bemoaning the lack of good headliners this summer, and after seeing some of the uninspiring lineups in the South American festivals and the European festivals already announced, I am starting to worry, I'm sure the undercard will be killer, but I'm starting to worry about the headliners we'll get - outside of Pulp and PJ. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/download-boss-approached-21-bands-to-headline-2024-festival-in-hardest-year-for-line-up-3534827

2 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

I know it's a completely different audience and genre of music, but the booker of Download just gave an interview bemoaning the lack of good headliners this summer, and after seeing some of the uninspiring lineups in the South American festivals and the European festivals already announced, I am starting to worry, I'm sure the undercard will be killer, but I'm starting to worry about the headliners we'll get - outside of Pulp and PJ. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/download-boss-approached-21-bands-to-headline-2024-festival-in-hardest-year-for-line-up-3534827

if Download are saying it's hard to book headliners this just means their usual choices of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot, Def Leppard and KISS were all unavailable. I am not concerned for Primavera headliners whatsoever since they book a wide range of genres and acts.

I dont buy that about lack of headliners. If we are talking about metal, pls check line up of Welcome to Rockville in USA, 4 weeks before Download. That line up puts Download to shame.

Speaking of Primavera, I do think they can have 6 super strong headliners out of this pool :: Tool, PJ Harvey, The Smile, Massive Attack, Lana Del Rey, Pulp, Bad Bunny, LCD Soundsystem, QOTSA, Travis Scott, etc. Not all of these will be to everyone's liking, but they can have a massive year I believe.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

if Download are saying it's hard to book headliners this just means their usual choices of Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slipknot, Def Leppard and KISS were all unavailable. I am not concerned for Primavera headliners whatsoever since they book a wide range of genres and acts.

We need to stop comparing Latin America and Europe. European Tours are much more commonplace, whilst the Latin American circuit for lollapalooza and co. is often specifically booked for these festivals and the bands wouldn't come to Latin America otherwise. The booking process is entirely different.
Also, while I personally do not think much of those line ups, I don't see them being weak.

11 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Yeah, Download is really the most uninspired festival there is. Hellfest and Graspop have delivered Genre-Line Ups that were somewhat interesting for years, while download simply does the same line up every other year. Bet out of the 21 Bands they approached, seven were Slipknot.

I agree that it might be a year with less of the really big names around, but PS has a way of finding artists that deserve to be headliners, even if other fests wouldn't dare put them up there.

Edited by Quadrophobia

2 minutes ago, Andrej said:

I dont buy that about lack of headliners. If we are talking about metal, pls check line up of Welcome to Rockville in USA, 4 weeks before Download. That line up puts Download to shame.

Speaking of Primavera, I do think they can have 6 super strong headliners out of this pool :: Tool, PJ Harvey, The Smile, Massive Attack, Lana Del Rey, Pulp, Bad Bunny, LCD Soundsystem, QOTSA, Travis Scott, etc. Not all of these will be to everyone's liking, but they can have a massive year I believe.

Wouldn't trust anything the Download booker says when it comes to headliners as they have same set of legacy acts playing it every couple of years

Even if there was a lack of headliners in general, PS has the reputation and logistics to bring someone in to fill the vacancy. Acts like Migos in 2018 or Megan Thee Stallion in 2022 were obviously not touring but were brought in just to play PS and then added one or two extra dates.

Especially when it comes to rap-acts, the European festival market often isn't "ready" for US artists, because their hype hasn't completely spilled over and the relation cost/audience isn't great. But since PS thinks of itself as a trendsetter and its audience is on top of trends and usually open minded, its one of the few fests in Europe that can get these acts when they are up and coming (by European measurement)

• Like 1