Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

I imagine they are an easier booking in South America which is why they are playing there. I feel like promoters are likely to let that stuff slide. They haven't played a UK gig since 2022 or Europe outside of that Meo Kalorama 2023 date. I can only imagine promoters are just refusing to book them on a moral principle more than cost/availability.

Headlined Cala Mijas last year and it was incredible. 

They also done a 2 stop tour before playing Bilbao BBK and Nos Alive (I think?) so they basically tour when they want. If they wanted to come UK, they'd still hold a very healthy crowd.

Edited by gingerevans84
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gingerevans84 said:

Headlined Cala Mijas last year and it was incredible. 

They also done a 2 stop tour before playing Bilbao BBK and Nos Alive (I think?) so they basically tour when they want. If they wanted to come UK, they'd still hold a very healthy crowd.

Could have been the best gig in the world, the fact is they've soured themselves to me, haven't listened to them since the abuse claims came out.

Don't see what Nos or Bibao has to do with anything, I'm talking about their current position in the eyes of bookers given everything that has happened. They could get a crowd in the UK but it's if anyone wants to promote them, which I don't think many do (rightly so).

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

Could have been the best gig in the world, the fact is they've soured themselves to me, haven't listened to them since the abuse claims came out.

Don't see what Nos or Bibao has to do with anything, I'm talking about their current position in the eyes of bookers given everything that has happened. They could get a crowd in the UK but it's if anyone wants to promote them, which I don't think many do (rightly so).

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of this matter, I think you are underestimating that bookers are under pressure to sell tickets and they sell tickets.

Most people have a complete disinterest/lack of awareness in this.

Passing of time too means that it will blow over. Recent evidence says they'll be back, certainly playing in the UK again, and the allegations largely forgotten.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Ignoring the rights and wrongs of this matter, I think you are underestimating that bookers are under pressure to sell tickets and they sell tickets.

Most people have a complete disinterest/lack of awareness in this.

Passing of time too means that it will blow over. Recent evidence says they'll be back, certainly playing in the UK again, and the allegations largely forgotten.

Don't need patronising comments. I know promoters are trying to sell tickets, but clearly something has gone a miss given they released a record, did a handful of UK dates (that had a horrible atmosphere in the aftermath of the allegations) and largely fell off the map. Clearly a lot of promoters probably thought they weren't worth touching.

Unfortunately they'll get booked again for stuff over time yes you're right, but some people won't forget.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

Don't need patronising comments. I know promoters are trying to sell tickets, but clearly something has gone a miss given they released a record, did a handful of UK dates (that had a horrible atmosphere in the aftermath of the allegations) and largely fell off the map. Clearly a lot of promoters probably thought they weren't worth touching.

Unfortunately they'll get booked again for stuff over time yes you're right, but some people won't forget.

Sorry. I didn't mean to be patronising, didn't get my words out as I meant to express my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I think you're projecting quite a bit.

Was at the Dublin gig. While not as great imo as their in the round boxing ring concerts people were happy and singing along.

And I agree with xxialic, there's going to be more recent issues on peoples minds rather than a pitchfork article from last year without any further action afterwards i.e being charged by police.

Previous albums released was followed by lots of gigs all around the world for a year then summer festivals all around the world 

this time they litterally did a handful of festivals only 

feist and beck cancelled too opening for them. 

and AF has been sooooo quiet on their social media. And all comments are blocked. 

it says it all. 

12 minutes ago, ibo said:

Previous albums released was followed by lots of gigs all around the world for a year then summer festivals all around the world 

this time they litterally did a handful of festivals only 

feist and beck cancelled too opening for them. 

and AF has been sooooo quiet on their social media. And all comments are blocked. 

it says it all. 

Out of upvotes but this.

Apologies for going off topic but to summarise I would be very shocked if a festival that prides itself on safe spaces for women would book an abuser.

46 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I went to watch them, it was a great atmosphere and they were great. 

51 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I think AF have played this off pretty interestingly in that they pretty much just ignored the allegations, got on with their tour (that a lot of people still attended), went quiet for a short while and have now quietly been getting booked for festivals again. I think they’re very much testing the water on if they can just continue as usual with no backlash, albeit to a slightly smaller audience than previously, and I’m pretty curious to see what happens and if there will be any push back or if they’ll just be left to get on with it.

1 hour ago, scatteredscreens said:

Apologies for going off topic but to summarise I would be very shocked if a festival that prides itself on safe spaces for women would book an abuser.

Exactly. This topic seems to be back every month and I'm not sure why. So far they have only made things much worse from everything they have done after the article, and they have not released any new relevant music. If there's anything that will be largely forgotten, it is the band, not the allegation!

If people want to see their headlining shows or hype them on some fan forum, go ahead, but there's no need to impose that choice on others.

Arcade Fire seem to be on course to fade into irrelevancy (relative to where they were). I say that as a fan. Allegations aside, they haven't released a good album since Reflektor imo - and even Reflektor was not quite as good as the first 3 for me.

Not too much exciting me from the above lineups. Would definitely take SZA, Jungle and Floating Points. Also people will laugh at me but I think I'd have a lot of fun at Blink 182. They won't be booked but just saying.

1 hour ago, emmanuel said:

Exactly. This topic seems to be back every month and I'm not sure why. So far they have only made things much worse from everything they have done after the article, and they have not released any new relevant music. If there's anything that will be largely forgotten, it is the band, not the allegation!

What should/could they have done differently then that didn't make things much worse? Legit question, cause I don't think the typical PR notepad twitter apology would have changed things.

8 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

What should/could they have done differently then that didn't make things much worse? Legit question, cause I don't think the typical PR notepad twitter apology would have changed things.

I don't think I should go there since I doubt many people are interested in that debate, but I do understand there was probably no way to make it look better.

I guess my exasperated reaction is because I'm starting to suspect that some people are on a mission to rehabilitate them. The posts saying that their recent sets were the greatest the band has ever done did not make much sense at all.

10 hours ago, emmanuel said:

I don't think I should go there since I doubt many people are interested in that debate, but I do understand there was probably no way to make it look better.

I guess my exasperated reaction is because I'm starting to suspect that some people are on a mission to rehabilitate them. The posts saying that their recent sets were the greatest the band has ever done did not make much sense at all.

I think if there is one example as for how to handle such allegations its Pinegrove. Working with the people affected through mediation and holding back for as long as that process takes, considering the other parties wishes before coming back. There is certainly not the one way to go and this is not a situation that can be resolved easily but if there is a way, in my opinion this is it.

The reason why Wins behaviour was abusive was partly due to his status as a famous and influential musician. So if you acknowledge this is about power relations, you should not go through with a big tour, put yourself in a spotlight and signal the people you abused that you're not willing to at least temporarily give up your position of power.

That being said, even with these allegations I doubt AF would be a contender at PS. They where the biggest name in 2017 and have been in steep decline ever since. Nowadays, they could not compete with the names that have headlined in 2023 and I somewhat doubt that PS would go for an act that has put out their last acclaimed material more than 10 years ago and getting worse ever since.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 1