Primavera Sound 2024

UsernameHere

8 hours ago, xxialac said:

That was exactly my point. 

The argument was that the reason Primavera was booking Calvin Harris was that they now have investors to answer to.

However, whilst Glastonbury is in the luxury position of not having investors to answer to, they still make dull MOR bookings.

No, you were saying Glastonbury had, like Primavera, moved from left field acts to MOR. But it's always had MOR at the top of the Pyramid bill. And it's also always had loads of alternative options. It's never had a Calvin Harris with hardly anyone else on at the same time. It's a huge shift for primavera and I doubt it's because Gabi has discovered some pop instinct in middle age.

7 hours ago, bobhoward said:

I’d personally be happy to see the Killers at PS. Their newest album Pressure Machine is very Springsteen-esque and their newest single ‘Boy’ has a ton of New Order and PSB influence

I really don’t see how they’re an eyebrow raising booking when the likes of AM, Gorillaz, Blur, are all on brand 

Brandon Flowers looks like a game show host wearing a gumshield. There's 4 fun "indie" songs on their first record, 2 on their second, 1 on their third and after that I'm bemused by their ongoing popularity. It's rock pop fluff. 

Arctic Monkeys on the other hand continue to develop and continue to be interesting. Even in 2018 pre-tranquility base I think it was quite clear then weren't an average lumpen rock band. 

7 hours ago, Johndenis said:

No, you were saying Glastonbury had, like Primavera, moved from left field acts to MOR. But it's always had MOR at the top of the Pyramid bill. And it's also always had loads of alternative options. It's never had a Calvin Harris with hardly anyone else on at the same time. It's a huge shift for primavera and I doubt it's because Gabi has discovered some pop instinct in middle age.

I don’t agree. Glastonbury these days has far more headliners for people that buy their music in supermarkets (Coldplay, Adele, Ed Sheeran etc) than it used to.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/22/glastonbury-headliner-by-year-from-1970-to-2023-18998115/amp/

7 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Brandon Flowers looks like a game show host wearing a gumshield. There's 4 fun "indie" songs on their first record, 2 on their second, 1 on their third and after that I'm bemused by their ongoing popularity. It's rock pop fluff. 

Arctic Monkeys on the other hand continue to develop and continue to be interesting. Even in 2018 pre-tranquility base I think it was quite clear then weren't an average lumpen rock band. 

Brandon Flowers is also a way better frontman than Turner and the Killers are great live. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they can't be put in the same bracket as ID/KoL and they're a better festival band than AM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, wro_lap said:

The Killers are an amazing live band and one of the staple bands of the last 20 years, and they've constantly reinvented their sound. Comparing them to Imagine Dragons/KoL is ludicrous

No one is saying The Killers are a 'bad' band or anything... but it's not a very Primavera type of band. And I do feel they're more in the Imagine Dragons territory nowadays. Big gestures poppy smiley slightly over the top anthems from Vegas. But: still fun. In Spain, Mad Cool and Benicassim are the best fit. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

With about 13 stages we can all chill. There truly is something for everyone.

Unless it's the 2h preceding Rosalia. In that particular timeslot there is nothing for anyone 

I actually wouldn't mind The Killers as they're probably good fun live, but their fee could probably be spent much better on other acts 

4 hours ago, xxialac said:

I don’t agree. Glastonbury these days has far more headliners for people that buy their music in supermarkets (Coldplay, Adele, Ed Sheeran etc) than it used to.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/06/22/glastonbury-headliner-by-year-from-1970-to-2023-18998115/amp/

Yeah but the users point still stands. For every Coldplay you have headlining in 2016 you had LCD on the other stage. So it's a bit of a moot point against the Calvin Harris with not much counterprogramming.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

1994 - almost 30 years ago - looks like the last year that Glastonbury's headliners were out of step with what was selling millions of albums.  Unlike Primavera, it hasn't noticeably changed in less than a decade.

My point also stands that for every Coldplay at Glastonbury there's a range of more interesting acts performing simultaneously.  It sounds like Primavera was almost experimenting with how punters would handle Calvin Harris, and only Calvin Harris.

My opinion is that The Killers, Arctic Monkeys and Blur are in the same category. All would also fit with Mad Cool, Benicassim, etc. All have played similar festivals over the years. Even Coldplay used to be in this category when they were a smaller band. I don't deny that Blur have a somewhat different demographic due to their peak in the 90s.

21 hours ago, emmanuel said:

My opinion is that The Killers, Arctic Monkeys and Blur are in the same category. All would also fit with Mad Cool, Benicassim, etc. All have played similar festivals over the years. Even Coldplay used to be in this category when they were a smaller band. I don't deny that Blur have a somewhat different demographic due to their peak in the 90s.

I can't see Primavera ever booking The Killers. 

Right I'm going for it with my wishlist of ones who might be touring then...

LCD Soundsystem 

Young Fathers 

Everything but the girl 

Mitski

Bob Vylan 

Jon Hopkins

Justice - seen them mentioned earlier and that would be banging

Jessie Ware or Roisin Murphy would be fab too, I'm seeing Jessie Ware soon!

I wonder if FKA Twigs might be rescheduled?

I know South American Primavera lineups often pretty different to Barcelona, but I'd love the Cure as well

Sorry to bring up the Taylor Swift rumour again, but I got bored so investigated and Spain is the only European country and date in the entire world that she is only doing 1 night in. The Madrid date is completely sold out, and even more puzzling is why she does not have a Barcelona date when every big pop artist seems to go through the city. Perhaps she is too big, but if she is playing a festival show and there is a Prima sized hole in her schedule, she would only need a few dancers and a band, similar to Dua Lipa, so costs would be dramatically reduced, and with that LiveNation money and maybe an Amazon Music stream flooding the coffers, maybe Primavera could afford it...

4 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

Sorry to bring up the Taylor Swift rumour again, but I got bored so investigated and Spain is the only European country and date in the entire world that she is only doing 1 night in. The Madrid date is completely sold out, and even more puzzling is why she does not have a Barcelona date when every big pop artist seems to go through the city. Perhaps she is too big, but if she is playing a festival show and there is a Prima sized hole in her schedule, she would only need a few dancers and a band, similar to Dua Lipa, so costs would be dramatically reduced, and with that LiveNation money and maybe an Amazon Music stream flooding the coffers, maybe Primavera could afford it...

You make a strong case, seems credible to me.

I don't think PS have the money for Swift. Not a dig at the festival, I don't think any (or very few) have the war chest funds necessary to offer her to play a festival instead of her own show given the ticket prices and packages she sells for those. According to Bloomberg estimations she's earning about 13 million dollars per night at her own shows. The Primavera offer would have to be in that ballpark. For reference the rumoured most expensive Coachella performance was Beyonce in 2018 which was rumoured to be 8-12 million. Primavera isn't operating at Coachella levels of cashflow given they're owned by AEG.

Sources https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-30/how-much-money-is-taylor-swift-making-from-eras-tour#xj4y7vzkg

https://www.billboard.com/pro/how-beyonce-homecoming-pays-off-coachella-promoter-aeg/