BBC Coverage 2023

gooner1990

1 minute ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Still some big hits left on the table, which is wild when you consider what a hit fest that set list was.

• Can You Feel The Love Tonight
  • Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
  • Circle of Life
  • Nikita
  • Step Into Christmas
  • Texan Love Song

Step Into Christmas 😂

I Want Love with Taron Edgerton would’ve been lovely. But never mind. 

• Thanks 1

That was really special, set at home by myself and had a great time watching it. Looking forward to catching up on QOTSA and Phoenix tomorrow though. Felt bad for them but reminds me of when I saw Working Men’s Club at bluedot and their set overlapped Kraftwerk. They did the first 20 minutes then said they’d join us all at the main stage. 😁

15 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Still some big hits left on the table, which is wild when you consider what a hit fest that set list was.

• Can You Feel The Love Tonight
  • Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
  • Circle of Life
  • Nikita
  • Step Into Christmas
  • Texan Love Song

Hakuna Matata.

So, that's that for another year. I'm not ready to call it a night yet though! Sticking the highlights on now.

Still got a few sets to catch up on i-player, but my top 5 on what I've seen:-

1. Chvrches 

2. The Chicks 

3. Sparks 

4. Slowdive 

5. Leftfield 

Close runners up:- Los Bitchos, Third World, QOTSA, War on Drugs, Manics.

Overall a really enjoyable watch. A bit light on great headliners, but loads of great stuff. Thanks for your contributions the last 3 days - it's been a blast!

Be interested to see what people there thought but was impressed with Elton. His vocals were strong. I liked that his piano was really high in the mix and played his heart out. You forget how good he is on the piano. A lot of acts his age would phone it in playing a few chords behind the piano.

a couple of songs I didn’t know/tik tok guy weren’t great and for a band who have been touring for years, I didn’t think the band was that right. Drummer fell behind a few times.

but I’m nitpicking. I wish I was there

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Be interested to see what people there thought but was impressed with Elton. His vocals were strong. I liked that his piano was really high in the mix and played his heart out. You forget how good he is on the piano. A lot of acts his age would phone it in playing a few chords behind the piano.

a couple of songs I didn’t know/tik tok guy weren’t great and for a band who have been touring for years, I didn’t think the band was that right. Drummer fell behind a few times.

At least you could see watching it on the telly! Judging by the crowd, you'd have to have been there 4 hours before the start to have even been in the same postcode as Elton! 😀

3 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Anyone else in a really bad mood that they were not there after that? 

Nope. He did what he did and he knew what needed to be done. Saw the tour twice and was at the north american finale last year which had Dua, Brandi Carlile and Kiki Dee. Good move on switching the setlist up like he did. Changes the pacing up quite a bit. I think he shouldve had an encore break though so there was a little more  finality to the show instead of wondering if he would come back or not. But it looked cool and im sure a lot of people just ended their evening with that and were happy.

Edited by Suprefan

7 hours ago, One Tonne Baby said:

I was there, it was sensational 

Agree with Supre though, should have been an encore for some defined finish as lots were confused and still waiting/hoping he’d appear again

Thought the set was incredible, but I will say that both that Stephen Sanchez feature + the Dua-less Cold Heart performance did leave me a little cold. Maybe different vibe in the field but they both felt like missed opportunities, one for another Elton song and the other for what should’ve been a killer guest feature.

But I’m nitpicking - it was an insanely good set and, hit for hit, hard to see it being topped any time soon.

I was near the back right of the field. Great view of the screens and crowd but  sound was quite poor with echoes from the drums making it all sound a bit out of sync. Still glad we went to see Elton but was definitely one where you could see from screens and tv footage that it looked a lot more fun down the front.

Was a bit conflicted as I also love QOTSA and Alt J and would have been amazing to see them with such small crowds

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Thought the set was incredible, but I will say that both that Stephen Sanchez feature + the Dua-less Cold Heart performance did leave me a little cold. Maybe different vibe in the field but they both felt like missed opportunities, one for another Elton song and the other for what should’ve been a killer guest feature.

But I’m nitpicking - it was an insanely good set and, hit for hit, hard to see it being topped any time soon.

Yep I agree with this. He smashed it, shocked me how good his voice was & looked as good as his Bestival headline set 10 years ago (& that was amazing!)

The guests were all a bit dull though and letting Stephen Sanchez play his own song was a choice. The Dua song is fine, but he probably should have dropped that if he couldn’t get her to appear. 

• Like 1