Bearded Theory 2024

20 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Even though it was fairly obvious capacity would not increase as it did not sell out last year many were questioning and moaning on Faceache................

So I just asked BT direct and got a quick reply like they tend to.

The capacity is not going up....................

but even that has not stopped some of the moaners from moaning and finding blame when there really is nothing to moan or complain about.

I had to bail out of the Bearded and Beautiful Days facebook groups because of the moaning - it got a bit Top Trumps for twats. I consoled myself with thinking that half the people moaning on there had probably never been to a rubbish festival so didn't appreciate how good these ones were, instead wanting the whole thing tailored to their own personal needs. And wow - don't mention chairs

Edited by justanotheronethen
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

Was busy this morning so didn`t try till about 10:45, OH tried first and it said super early bird and early bird both sold out.......... while she was filling in the details I tried on my laptop........ and was able to buy 1 early bird and 1 full price.

Weird 🙂 

Seems there were  a fair few payment failures so SEB and EB kept popping up even that late on

I also managed Super Early Bird and campervan tickets. Done and dusted in 3 minutes.

Bit of a hike in price this year but don't begrudge it at all.  Pound for pound best festival there is for me.

Always a stellar line up. 

Friendly and very well organised and don't lift your leg on beer prices,etc.

• Upvote 1

I note with interest that Magical Sounds are no longer running the Dance Tent, due to DHP wanting to provide from in house. Not a stage that I regularly ventured into to be fair, but its certainly upset a few folks. It'll be interesting to see how the replacement measures up. 

Hopefully not an indicator of future wholesale changes...hmm...

7 minutes ago, spudthemariner said:

I note with interest that Magical Sounds are no longer running the Dance Tent, due to DHP wanting to provide from in house. Not a stage that I regularly ventured into to be fair, but its certainly upset a few folks. It'll be interesting to see how the replacement measures up. 

It will change, slowly..................... maybe Convoy Cabaret will go one day, maybe Maui Waui will one day as they move things in house.

I know they wanted to change lots this year but those they used for consultation said they should not and they listened to them - otherwise there would have been no Woodland Stage in 2023. Any plans to get rid of it have been scrapped now.

Even if DHP had not taken over it would have changed under the old owners - it was after all the old owners who increased the capacity without adding more in 2022 (and that is direct from them not my opinion).

Change has to happen at festivals otherwise it gets stale and full of the same old people that expect the same old bands in the same old settings.  Part of the joy of festivals is discovering new ones, finding new areas at familiar festivals, enjoying new music and interacting with different people.  Festivals have to evolve to stay alive - and especially so in difficult times.  I understand that people have attachments to certain things and sometimes those things are missed, but put into the bigger picture, it makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

47 minutes ago, bexj said:

Change has to happen at festivals otherwise it gets stale and full of the same old people that expect the same old bands in the same old settings.  Part of the joy of festivals is discovering new ones, finding new areas at familiar festivals, enjoying new music and interacting with different people.  Festivals have to evolve to stay alive - and especially so in difficult times.  I understand that people have attachments to certain things and sometimes those things are missed, but put into the bigger picture, it makes sense.

Spot on

• Upvote 1

Really fancy volunteering at this next year 👍 the lineup always sounds interesting, its got a lot of devoted followers on here and elsewhere online, and its quite small so easier to get around and work at by the looks of things. A pal of mine has been the last couple of years, and loves it - so i'm going to dip me toes in, as long as i can get an oxfam slot

On 9/5/2023 at 12:46 PM, Gnomicide said:

Nicely put. I have no interest in dance music so never paid much attention to the line-up up for Magical Sounds but it did seem like a lot of the same names cropped up each year. Is that right or just because I only recognised a few?

Hopefully DHP will fill the gap for dance fans. After the success of this year, I have faith that whatever it is will be as popular as MS, probably better.

They did seem to cater mostly for an early 90s demographic, which I don't have an issue with, but it we big good to get something a bit more diverse. It was mostly empty during the day and evening.

11 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

They did seem to cater mostly for an early 90s demographic, which I don't have an issue with, but it we big good to get something a bit more diverse. It was mostly empty during the day and evening.

and yet you can guarantee that the replacement is not 'dance music' all day those that loved MS will moan even though when it was MS they were mostly not there.

4 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Really fancy volunteering at this next year 👍 the lineup always sounds interesting, its got a lot of devoted followers on here and elsewhere online, and its quite small so easier to get around and work at by the looks of things. A pal of mine has been the last couple of years, and loves it - so i'm going to dip me toes in, as long as i can get an oxfam slot

I volunteered with Oxfam for the first time last year.  Slots are hard to get unless you're on the priority list, I got lucky and picked one up 6 weeks before.  The Oxfield was about 15 mins walk away from the festival but it was quiet there!  You could use crew catering and facilities and could get right to the back of the main stage!  My shifts were 2 x morning shifts, one on the accessible vehicle gate, on on the main pedestrian gate, and the 3rd was an evening shift on the Oxfield.  It can get really really cold at night!!  Be warned!  But overall had a brilliant experience! 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, spudthemariner said:

In hindsight I liked the fact Magical Sounds were there, same for Convoy Cabaret. I hardly ever went in there but had done elsewhere down the years. Stamina and stimulants have changed for this old git