Bearded Theory 2024

i didnt get a survey ☹️

If i had.... conversely I think the BYO policy is a big bonus rather than a necessity.

Their beers are decent, local and good value.. so i like supporting the bars. 

Agree that Idles would be immense (Fontaines DC more likely?)

Siouxsie would be the dream

51 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

i didnt get a survey ☹️

If i had.... conversely I think the BYO policy is a big bonus rather than a necessity.

It was shared on their social  media pages:

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/beardedtheory2023

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

i didnt get a survey ☹️

The thing with the BYOB policy is that it does away with having your bags searched (and frisked at some fests) it is a big contribution to the relaxed feel of BT and would be detrimental to the vibe if i was changed.

1 hour ago, Rumblestripe said:

The thing with the BYOB policy is that it does away with having your bags searched (and frisked at some fests) it is a big contribution to the relaxed feel of BT and would be detrimental to the vibe if i was changed.

agreed and whilst I dont take dramatic advantage of it, I recognise it is a big driver towards the 'Do what you want' feel about the place..

Oh... and by the time i had finished my survey (thankyou @Nobody Interesting) BT had emailed me...!

Siouxsie for 2024 !

14 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It was shared on their social  media pages:

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/beardedtheory2023

Cheers for the link. We didn't go this year for a whole variety of reasons, but almost certainly will next year based on all the positive reactions. A bunch of pals who we've been going with for years have all said how great it was, which is great to hear. Done the survey and also stressed the Alcohol policy as a big plus point. As per many comments, while we also don't take the piss on this (assuming that the bars are well stocked and reasonably priced), the loss of this would signal a fundamental change in the direction of the festival and would likely see many regulars think twice at the very least.

Requested IDLES, Garbage and Self Esteem (saw her on a sold out Monday night show in the Barras this year, absolutely astonishing live)! 

I liked their survey - but then I have to say that as lots of their questions seemed to have been derived from posts I made on the chat group on FB - ie what things must never be changed, what one thing could be made better etc.

I know they read that group (cos they told me) so it shows they are watching and learning all the time.

If 2024 is even better than 2023 then my mind will blow.

18 hours ago, Karlhippy said:

No bringing alcohol into the arena, more than likely not buying a ticket.

I suggested Hawkwind and Mudhoney 🤘

+1 for Mudhoney. Not sure they'd be available though as I don't think they do the band full time these days, they have other jobs.

On 6/8/2023 at 7:56 AM, Flaminglippy said:

Anybody else filled in the survey they sent? Felt like I rambled on for ages! 

Filled it in a couple of days ago. My head is still firmly implanted up their arses I gushed that much 🤣

I'm another who also mentioned about bringing your own booze as an answer to the question about what may make you not attend. Increased capacity, increased security and police presence and booze... would totally change the demographic and vibe 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Digi said:

Filled it in a couple of days ago. My head is still firmly implanted up their arses I gushed that much 🤣

I'm another who also mentioned about bringing your own booze as an answer to the question about what may make you not attend. Increased capacity, increased security and police presence and booze... would totally change the demographic and vibe 

Haha, same

Bringing these suggestions/requests of mine over from the 2023 thread. I know a number of them are quite indulgent for me, but I did take into account the sorts of genres BT likes to put forward and what stages they would most likely be performing on:

Yes (Pallet)

Bad Religion (Pallet) 

Dropkick Murphys (Pallet)

Proclaimers (Pallet)

Matt Berry (Woodland headliner)

Battles (Meadow headliner)

Republica (Pallet)

Idles (Pallet)

The Big Moon (Pallet)

The Human League (Pallet)

Sparks (Pallet)

Toyah Willcox & Robert Fripp (Woodland)

Gwenno (Woodland)

Gruff Rhys (Meadow)

SL2 (Magical Sounds)

Tide Lines (Meadow)

The Avalanches (Meadow)

Heaven 17 (Woodland)

Fontaines DC (Meadow)

John Otway (Woodland)

The Dead South (Woodland)

Big Joanie (Meadow) 

Jehnny Beth/Savages (Pallet) 

The Longest Johns (Maui Waui)

Pip Blom (Pallet)

White Town (Woodland)

LARRY PINK THE HUMAN (Woodland)

Orchards (Meadow)

Dream Nails (Meadow)

Hinds (Pallet)

Mhaol (Woodland)

Gen and The Degenerates (Woodland)

Jollyboat (Maui Waui)

Andrea Kenny (Something Else)

Orville Peck (Meadow)

Cassyette (Pallet)

Kitten Pyramid (Maui Waui)

Let 3 (Meadow) 

Go_A (Meadow) 

The Poxy Boggards (Maui Waui)

Muddibrooke (Woodland)

Riding The Low (Woodland)

4 hours ago, Digi said:

Can't believe how long I spent filling in that form and forgot the BYOB thing. FFS!

Hopefully they will confirm prior to early birds going on sale. 

I know from a conversation I had with somebody who organises two major UK festivals that the amount they make from selling the rights to the bars is absolutely huge. Unfortunately though I find at festivals where you can't take your own in, it leads to a lot less choice, higher prices and people spend more time at the campsites during the day than seeing new bands earlier in the day who really need the support/exposure. 

I always take less booze than I will drink, partially because the car is literally bursting at the seams but mainly because I dont want to be drinking cans that having been baking in the sun for 3 days and want a cold pint. 

The very last point I made was Bearded is very much not broken, so don't break it trying to fix it. A few more toilets by the main stage, having a designated 'Help point' near the main entrance (so basically after we set up I took our massive trolley down to the entrance with the babby to help people coming in, but you then have to approach randoms asking if they need a hand which is a bit weird, whereas having a point where people struggling can meet people who want to help would be much better), honestly nothing else needs improving. Maybe a worse line up next year so there are fewer clashes??

Long shot but anybody at the last Long Division festival in Wakefield this weekend?? Gutted DEADLETTER, Lovely Eggs and Arab Strap all clash. Gotta go DEADLETTER as one of best live bands around at the minute

Edited by Flaminglippy

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Yes (Pallet)

(and others)

Would be amazing for me. First band I ever saw and I still indulge in a little bit of Close To The Edge or other twenty minute noodle on occasion.

(Pedantically the first band I ever saw would be the support band "Gryphon" - not sure if they are still going?)

17 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

This will probably be a hugely unpopular suggestion but for a subheadliner on main stage one night how about Squeeze? They have some proper singalong bangers! 

I put them down on the survey... I saw them on their tour earlier this year and was blown away how good they were...  Glen Tillbrook's voice was great and he absolutely throws himself at it...

Good shout!

Edited by BlueDaze
speeling mistaek
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

I put them down on the survey... I saw them on their tour earlier this year and was blown away how good they were...  Glen Tillbrook's voice was great and he absolutely throws himself at...

Good shout!

Was on a works night out and mentioned Squeeze and half of 'em had never heard of them. I need a new job...people are idiots. Their greatest hits is just mad...killer tune after killer tune. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

This will probably be a hugely unpopular suggestion but for a subheadliner on main stage one night how about Squeeze? They have some proper singalong bangers! 

I would be all over that! I absolutely love them - they remind me so much of my mum who loved them too 🙂

On 6/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, riverwise said:

didn't Squeeze play a few years ago? Maybe 2016 or something like that?

They've definitely done it before, can't remember when but I know I missed them.

Another not entirely unrelated memory is that Jools Holland's drummer filled in for The Quireboys when they played as their usual drummer couldn't make it. He had a great time!

On 6/9/2023 at 3:41 PM, Jackie Daytona said:

Bad Religion (Pallet) 

Suspect Bad Religion may have been booked this year then jumped ship to Download to replace The Distillers. IIRC BT was promising another headliner for quite a bit and then announced The Pretenders. Bad Religion would have fit in on the Gogol Bordello day (I'm not complaining as I prefer Gogol Bordello, but it makes sense to me). 

Matt Berry (Woodland headliner)

Yes Please

Idles (Pallet)

Can't see them not headlining tbh, I saw more Idles T-Shirts about the place than any band actually playing. 

Sparks (Pallet)

Were on my list too, would be a cracking headliner. 

Saw some great bands at the weekend. 'Bunkerpop' (who were described as 'LCD Soundsystem if they came from Hull', and that is pretty much spot on). Hadnt seen Mik Artistic before either (always seem to miss him), and we both really enjoyed his set. 

DEADLETTER though, if you get a chance to see them and you haven't they are so, so good live. Absolutely off the chart. Honestly one of the best gigs I've seen in 30 odd years of gigs and festivals.

Can't remember a better month for music, fantastic Wind Up Birds gig in Shipley, Bearded and then Long Division. Beautiful Days is gonna struggle to top that. 

On 6/12/2023 at 2:42 PM, OKMess said:

pretty sure Bad Religion weren't ever booked, because they were at a festival in the States with Rancid and The Interrupters that same weekend. My heart sank when I saw the line up announcement for it last year, because all three of those bands would be terrific at BT

Squeeze def played a few years back, the seemed 'bemused' by the great reception they got, and by no means where they going through the motions. 

Booze is always the one no-one wants changing. Went to 'red rooster' just after covid lockdown, and they had a wristband to purchase so u could take your own booze in to main stage, 1st time they had tried it. I bought em but the next year was back to byo. Latitude also search your bags to get in to main arena, and for me, that puts a downer on the atmos, and having to think of getting gear onto site secretly when paying nigh on £300 is......🙄

16 hours ago, choo choos said:

Squeeze def played a few years back, the seemed 'bemused' by the great reception they got, and by no means where they going through the motions. 

Booze is always the one no-one wants changing. Went to 'red rooster' just after covid lockdown, and they had a wristband to purchase so u could take your own booze in to main stage, 1st time they had tried it. I bought em but the next year was back to byo. Latitude also search your bags to get in to main arena, and for me, that puts a downer on the atmos, and having to think of getting gear onto site secretly when paying nigh on £300 is......🙄

yes.. looking back at Clashfinder they subbed Pallet on the sunday in 2016.. and I noted that Vintage Trouble played in 2017...

I only started going in 2018... what was i thinking.??

30 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

yes.. looking back at Clashfinder they subbed Pallet on the sunday in 2016.. and I noted that Vintage Trouble played in 2017...

I only started going in 2018... what was i thinking.??

We decided to 'take a break' from Bearded in 2017............... what on earth were we thinking!!!! We soon realised the error of our ways and returned in 2018.
We made the same mistake last year missing Beautiful Days 'for a break' trying other festivals instead (Lakefest) - we shall never make that mistake again either.

PS Good to see my clashfinders still bei ng of use all these years later 🙂

On 6/12/2023 at 3:26 PM, Flaminglippy said:

Saw some great bands at the weekend. 'Bunkerpop' (who were described as 'LCD Soundsystem if they came from Hull', and that is pretty much spot on). Hadnt seen Mik Artistic before either (always seem to miss him), and we both really enjoyed his set. 

DEADLETTER though, if you get a chance to see them and you haven't they are so, so good live. Absolutely off the chart. Honestly one of the best gigs I've seen in 30 odd years of gigs and festivals.

Can't remember a better month for music, fantastic Wind Up Birds gig in Shipley, Bearded and then Long Division. Beautiful Days is gonna struggle to top that. 

Secret small deadletter gig for London peeps

https://www.windmillbrixton.co.uk/events/2023-07-07-bedwetter-y-hank-the-windmill