Elton talks Glastonbury on Radio 2

George_92

7 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

According to setlist fm he did love tonight last year. Before that 2016

Did he? My bad, apologies!

7 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Take Me To The Pilot bangs so that would be a shame. In all honesty I’d much rather he cut Cold Heart in favour of another one his classics but that’s almost certainly not gonna happen sadly. 

If he’s after a different end to the show and the Lion King songs are destined to remain sadly absent, closing with Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me complete with a choir would be unforgettable. 

Have Mercy on the Criminal remains this wonderful thing in that its first twenty seconds are beautiful, and then it becomes a different thing all together which always makes me groan.

Levon is one I've never wrapped my head around.

Ed Sheeran for Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me seems a semi-reasonable bet. If there's any justice, it'll be RIck Astley, after he suspiciously skips Never Gonna Give You Up the day before.

11 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

In all seriousness, not sure what there will honestly be in terms of setlist changes and/or losses. Would put money on the two guests being Kiki Dee and Dua Lipa.

Current show, at twenty-three songs, is coming in at 145 minutes. With an allotted 125 minutes overall, the need to add Don't Go Breaking My Heart in and the fact he is unlikely to lose Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - its position midway through the show allows for a quick break during its elongated intro - reckon we could be looking at something like this.

Bennie and the Jets
Philadelphia Freedom
I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues
Border Song
Tiny Dancer
Rocket Man (I Think It's Going to Be a Long, Long Time)
Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Don't Go Breaking My Heart (with Kiki Dee)
Candle in the Wind
10 Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
11 Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
12 Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
13 The Bitch Is Back
14 I'm Still Standing
15 Crocodile Rock
16 Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting

17 Cold Heart (with Dua Lipa)
18 Your Song
19 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

We lose Have Mercy on the CriminalTake Me to the PilotLevonBurn Down the Mission and Sad Songs (Say So Much) - arguably the five least known cuts in that set for a casual fan, which drops about twenty-five minutes out to make two hours. Add in Don't Go Breaking My Heart and, hey presto, that's your 125-minute farewell show.

(I understand the logic of a closing one-two with Your Song and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - but do kind of wish he'd swing for something more wildly energetic to end the encore. Switch out Your Song to go before Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting and put Crocodile Rock after Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to send everybody home in a singalong mood.)

I sincerely hope you’re wrong about which songs get dropped. They may be less well known but they are amongst the best on the setlist, and sh*t all over the Lion King stuff. Elton still likes to play a few for the long-time fans and I feel he himself likes these types of songs more than some of the bigger hits.

I can see him playing longer than that - the other stages finish at 23:15 so he could jam out another 2 tracks possibly.

Although it IS the Sunday, and Macca did his set on the Saturday last year so was probably easier to get away with.

1 hour ago, The Card Cheat said:

Surely it's going to be Billy Joel? They have plenty of previous in the past.

Any one two or three out of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Piano Man and Your Song would be massive:

This would be amazing. I was hoping BJ would be in the Legend Slot this year. 

2 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I can see him playing longer than that - the other stages finish at 23:15 so he could jam out another 2 tracks possibly.

Although it IS the Sunday, and Macca did his set on the Saturday last year so was probably easier to get away with.

I’d imagine Elton might not struggle in paying any fine if he overran !! 

47 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’d imagine Elton might not struggle in paying any fine if he overran !! 

But every time someone breaks the curfew it jeopardises the future of the festival's license. It's not just about the fines. And behind the scenes, we just don't know what has been said. It's possible the festival have been told that they've run out of chances....

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

But every time someone breaks the curfew it jeopardises the future of the festival's license. It's not just about the fines. And behind the scenes, we just don't know what has been said. It's possible the festival have been told that they've run out of chances....

Pyramid Curfew is 23:30 on the Sunday. He's got 25 minutes to extend into should he wish.

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

True .. but it might just add a few quid to council kitty and they mightn’t be too bothered . However the locals might be though 

3 hours ago, Festival Liam said:

If he wants to give some focus to "smaller" artists, Rina Sawayama might get a look in, although don't see him singing their duet (Chosen Family) as it is one of her songs and time is so precious.

Here for this. She’s already on site and deserves the spotlight. 

7 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I sincerely hope you’re wrong about which songs get dropped. They may be less well known but they are amongst the best on the setlist, and sh*t all over the Lion King stuff. Elton still likes to play a few for the long-time fans and I feel he himself likes these types of songs more than some of the bigger hits.

I'm frankly suprsied he's not sticking to the tour setlist, and can only assume it is for the reasons of guest spots.

Rina would be a superb shout, but not necessarily of the star wattage many are expecting.

And... didn't he fall out with Billy Joel? I was under the impression they still had some significant beef.

27 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'm frankly suprsied he's not sticking to the tour setlist, and can only assume it is for the reasons of guest spots.

Rina would be a superb shout, but not necessarily of the star wattage many are expecting.

And... didn't he fall out with Billy Joel? I was under the impression they still had some significant beef.

It sounds like they did fall out for a while.

But according to this article, 'He told Rolling Stone that he would sing with John "if he asked me to" '

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/706524/this-is-why-elton-john-and-billy-joel-stopped-touring-together/

I have a feeling that this will happen though - it all kind of fits together with Joel in London soon after. We shall see!

6 minutes ago, The Card Cheat said:

It sounds like they did fall out for a while.

But according to this article, 'He told Rolling Stone that he would sing with John "if he asked me to" '

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/706524/this-is-why-elton-john-and-billy-joel-stopped-touring-together/

I have a feeling that this will happen though - it all kind of fits together with Joel in London soon after. We shall see!

Ooooh. Now, having seen Billy Joel twice, I'd be well down for him turning up. 

But the entire point would be for him to also play the piano, surely? Just having Billy Joel turn up to croon is a bit odd.