Reactions to the full lineup

goonerben

21 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Even before the main drop a lot of the key slots looked like they could have been from 10 years ago (with a couple of them, Arctics and Pheonix, exactly cut and paste from 10 years ago).

Looking at the "big 5" headliners: Arctics, GnR, Elton, Lana, QOTSA, Kelis, Rudimental, Hot Chip, Phoenix, Fever Ray, Fatboy Slim and Alt-J... Obvs there's some huge names and big gets there but it does look like a bit of a 00s fest on those top lines.

Then on the Pyramid: Texas, Pulp, Astley, Blondie, The Chicks and Sophie EB. I'll leave off Yusuf as the legend is bound to be older. Still names like Lil Nas X must bring the average Pyramid stage age down about 25 years. 😄

Not moaning, obviously loads of fresh names to get into all over the place. Just thought it interesting. 

I'm not a Texas fan but my gf is and we went to see them in Oxford just over a year ago...I was pleasantly surprised - some good back catalogue hits and Sharleen can still get about the stage just as easily as she did 20+ years ago.

1 hour ago, Andeeroo said:

Seem to remember Shakin' Stevens opening the pyramid in one of the first years I went. They've always sprinkled in acts of that nature.

Indeed they have. Bjorn Again and the Sugababes were on the Pyramid in my first year (2003).

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I'm not a Texas fan but my gf is and we went to see them in Oxford just over a year ago...I was pleasantly surprised - some good back catalogue hits and Sharleen can still get about the stage just as easily as she did 20+ years ago.

Yeah I’m contemplating seeing them. My wife really wants to. I’m just livid they clash with Carly Rae Jepson. But then everything I want to see bloody clashes

Just now, MEGABOWL said:

Yeah I’m contemplating seeing them. My wife really wants to. I’m just livid they clash with Carly Rae Jepson. But then everything I want to see bloody clashes

Not sure how it will come across in the vast Pyramid field compared to me being in row 15 at a theatre but  will get me in the field ahead of Pulp/FF 🙂 

17 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Yep - as others have commented Lizzo could easily have held a headline slot and gone a good way to improving this...

Imagine how weak the Pyramid subs would look with someone else instead of her in that slot though 🫣 She and Elton are the only redeeming bits of that top six so moving her and Lewis Capaldi up a slot and getting rid of GnR wouldn’t make much difference recently. 

Rick Astley and SEB on the Pyramid is clearly a response to the ‘ironic’ acts like TLC packing out the smaller stages last year. Sensible move in that respect although it does contribute to the feeling the Pyramid bill is the weakest it’s been in years. 

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'd personally rather see something fun like Rick Astley or Sophie Ellis-Bextor on the Pyramid than some of the snooze fest, "serious", artists like Robert Plant (who at third down had a TINY crowd) or Rufus Wainwright - who played to next to nobody.

Rick Astley will be hugely popular, not just because of his one hit, but because of the whole 80s retro vibe, and the Rick Rolling meme etc. When Never Gonna Give You Up comes on, it'll be one giant singalong.

Rick Astley with David Grohl on guitar 👍

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Imagine how weak the Pyramid subs would look with someone else instead of her in that slot though 🫣 She and Elton are the only redeeming bits of that top six so moving her and Lewis Capaldi up a slot and getting rid of GnR wouldn’t make much difference recently. 

Rick Astley and SEB on the Pyramid is clearly a response to the ‘ironic’ acts like TLC packing out the smaller stages last year. Sensible move in that respect although it does contribute to the feeling the Pyramid bill is the weakest it’s been in years. 

Is TLC an ironic act? Fair point about the general weakness- but I disagree about the effect it would have, having her as a headliner just makes everything look more contemporary. 

Pyramid - D

Other - B (A if they hadn’t booked an abuser on the Sunday night)

WH - B

Park - C (B apart from the headliners)

Woodsies - B+ and probably the best of the televised stages. I’m glad they’ve finally stopped trying to shoehorn an older-skewing headliner onto that stage. 

Overall probably a good year for hoping to be able to get a ticket come October. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

The full line up has quelled any concerns I might have had. I had to go looking for acts I'd like to see more than usual this year, fair enough, but ultimately there's more than enough stuff to fill out every day, and that's without the 90% of the festival I've never heard of and will discover and enjoy.

Edited by kalifire

8 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Is TLC an ironic act? Fair point about the general weakness- but I disagree about the effect it would have, having her as a headliner just makes everything look more contemporary. 

I mean yeah but you’d be paying for that increase in Radio 1-friendliness by making the overall top of the bill look like worse value for money. And in a year which has seen a massive entrance fee hike then that counts for something. If you can book an act as big as Lizzo as a sub below a stadium filler (however naff the latter may be) then it doesn’t make sense from a GFL perspective to turn your nose up at that. 

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Won't change a thing in October. Even a wash-out won't. Demand will still be crazy high in 2023, no matter what.

Of course. But it certainly won’t do any harm whereas in some years (2016 comes to mind) you could easily see a strong lineup making the next T-Day even worse. 

As with any Glastonbury there's a solid handful to be excited about but some of the bookings feel a bit... I don't know if it's down to scrambling to fill slots or if certain bookers just don't have their finger on the pulse. Alt-J, Rudimental and Phoenix getting headline slots in 2023 is a prime example, and I love Phoenix!

21 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I mean yeah but you’d be paying for that increase in Radio 1-friendliness by making the overall top of the bill look like worse value for money. And in a year which has seen a massive entrance fee hike then that counts for something. If you can book an act as big as Lizzo as a sub below a stadium filler (however naff the latter may be) then it doesn’t make sense from a GFL perspective to turn your nose up at that. 

True- how big a crowd will they really draw though? Guess we'll find out!

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Smallest of this year’s trio but certainly not a Metallica situation I wouldn’t think 

Didn't realise they didn't get a good crowd! I never even considered for a second watching them 😆

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, concerned said:

Feels like there is much less on Wednesday this year? CTRL + F for Wednesday on the 2022 lineup finds 25 matches, same on the 2023 only brings up 15.

Hopefully there will be a few interesting bits to wander around and find.... 

They might not be finished adding it 

I think if we're all honest it's not much different to recent years in that they've tried to have a broad mix of acts.  I think it's probably fair to say that many who post here are more obsessive than your average music fan/festival punter so it may seem a bit more "tired" to us as a result.  You can't argue that they've got a good mix of acts and styles, mostly in appropriate slots and stages.  Up against clear budget constraints I can't really fault it overall.  I feel the loss of WG - more so for the late night stuff as I've posted previously - but outside of that I'm not complaining.