The churnups

a6l6e6x

13 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

I think Foo Fighters would be there either for Dave's connections to the festival (a UK bow for a new line-up and fresh start) or to tease the likelihood of an immediate return to headline in 2024.

It's the latter that makes me think it isn't. This isn't a secret set in the Park or Woodsies which a fraction of the festival get to see. It's literally the same stage. You don't play this slot and then come back next year and headline. It'll literally be the same band on the same stage playing the same songs but a few hours later.

Now if it's some sort of Taylor tribute with guests or some sort of supergroup mash-up then maybe you get away with it. But that's the big difference with Pulp and Foos for me - Foos will want to come back and headline in the next three years. And the festival will want to book them. Pulp will be gone for good this time next year, at least in this incarnation.

Is there any reason Foos wouldn't be announced if it were them? I know Pulp have some big London dates on sale on Friday.

(The hour changeover makes me wonder if it's something with a more elaborate set-up also, ie. act with orchestra)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It's the latter that makes me think it isn't. This isn't a secret set in the Park or Woodsies which a fraction of the festival get to see. It's literally the same stage. You don't play this slot and then come back next year and headline. It'll literally be the same band on the same stage playing the same songs but a few hours later.

Now if it's some sort of Taylor tribute with guests or some sort of supergroup mash-up then maybe you get away with it. But that's the big difference with Pulp and Foos for me - Foos will want to come back and headline in the next three years. And the festival will want to book them. Pulp will be gone for good this time next year, at least in this incarnation.

Is there any reason Foos wouldn't be announced if it were them? I know Pulp have some big London dates on sale on Friday.

(The hour changeover makes me wonder if it's something with a more elaborate set-up also, ie. act with orchestra)

Pulp have a string section on this tour 

While Pulp would fit, the main issue is that I don't see much evidence that it is them, apart from people's expectations. In other words, naming them on every page of this thread does not make them more likely!

While Foos seem likely based on their history, in my opinion this would be an odd choice and over-exposure.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Lizzo has fairly big production though right?

I was talking orchestra, etc. based on the acts were were thinking it would be, but heavily produced/choreographed acts like Lizzo fit the same bill.

I guess.

Anyway, it's Pulp. Has to be. I might even stick around for a bit of Royal Blood for a giggle.

5 minutes ago, emmanuel said:

While Pulp would fit, the main issue is that I don't see much evidence that it is them, apart from people's expectations. In other words, naming them on every page of this thread does not make them more likely!

While Foos seem likely based on their history, in my opinion this would be an odd choice and over-exposure.

I'm curious what history Foos have that Jarvis doesn't? Jarvis has performed in some form at pretty much every Glastonbury, including the Live From Worthy Farm thing. He's always on site. And he's not elsewhere on the line-up this year. It'd be the first one he's missed in ages.

His biggest every project are doing an reunion this year, and Glastonbury was the gig that propelled them to stardom back in 1995.

I'm aware Dave Grohl has a history with the festival also but I'm struggling to see how it's in any way stronger than what Jarvis has...

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'm curious what history Foos have that Jarvis doesn't? Jarvis has performed in some form at pretty much every Glastonbury, including the Live From Worthy Farm thing. He's always on site. And he's not elsewhere on the line-up this year. It'd be the first one he's missed in ages.

His biggest every project are doing an reunion this year, and Glastonbury was the gig that propelled them to stardom back in 1995.

I'm aware Dave Grohl has a history with the festival also but I'm struggling to see how it's in any way stronger than what Jarvis has...

Its not.

Jarvis is part of the furniture at the G.

This is what Bard has to say on the subject:

Pulp have not confirmed or denied that they are the Churnups, but there is some evidence to suggest that it could be them. The band have a space in their touring schedule that weekend, and they have a history of playing surprise sets at Glastonbury. Additionally, the name "Churnups" is a reference to Pulp's song "Sorted for Es & Wizz", which is about the drug MDMA.

Google knows all....

13 minutes ago, golden egg said:

What’s the story with Royal Blood? Im not a fan or anything but they seem half decent at what they do? They were pretty good a few years ago on before xx.  Have I missed something?

Had a bit of a strop:

https://twitter.com/therockrevival_/status/1663220061715169282?s=12&t=e_mEezF-IALQUtUKL1A1gw

21 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

They could have written "secret set" or "TBA", but to say "The Churnups" must be a clue. 

I think it's  a supergroup / Taylor tribute.

Expecting, The foos with some people like: Liam Gallagher, Lars Ullrich, Alanis Morrissette and maybe someone absolutely random..

Why not call is 'Taylor Hawkins tribute' if thats what it is? 

21 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

They could have written "secret set" or "TBA", but to say "The Churnups" must be a clue. 

I think it's  a supergroup / Taylor tribute.

Expecting, The foos with some people like: Liam Gallagher, Lars Ullrich, Alanis Morrissette and maybe someone absolutely random..

Yeah, could be a good shout.