5-HTP Yes or No?

Franky

5-HTP Yes or No?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use 5-HTP in the run up and during the festival?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/22/2023 at 11:00 PM

Yeah man, it helps, but not sure for just a one off or every now and then. Used to take it every Sunday-Wednesday after going all night/day Saturdays. 
Definitely helped make blue Mondays and suicide Tuesdays easier lol! 
In my 40’s now, and the couple of times a year I indulge, recuperation involves sleep, tons of fruits/veg and not having to play with the kids for a day 😝.

Never taken it in preperation for a festival, I think I have taken a tab the morning after during a festival in the past with no issues but wouldn't do it now due to being educated to the potential risk of seratonin syndrome. I'd wait until Tuesday if I felt I needed it for recovery. Just be sensible with other stuff you're taking if you want to last the weekend, you don't need 100s of mg - get yourself some scales.

Edited by Johnnyseven

2 hours ago, TorontoScot said:

Yeah man, it helps, but not sure for just a one off or every now and then. Used to take it every Sunday-Wednesday after going all night/day Saturdays. 
Definitely helped make blue Mondays and suicide Tuesdays easier lol! 
In my 40’s now, and the couple of times a year I indulge, recuperation involves sleep, tons of fruits/veg and not having to play with the kids for a day 😝.

Should also say if you are on any SSRI or SNRI Meds (usually antidepressants) then neither 5HTP or madman is no good for you. 

• Like 1

This thread has got me thinking though, does anybody have any remedies to minimise the hangovers/tiredness. 

Someone's mentioned vitamin b complex to me recently and going to give it a go this year, normally take 2 milk thistle and electrolyte tablet a day during the festival and mostly works but the tiredness catchs up. Any other remedies people swear by. 

28 minutes ago, Charliehmiller said:

This thread has got me thinking though, does anybody have any remedies to minimise the hangovers/tiredness. 

Someone's mentioned vitamin b complex to me recently and going to give it a go this year, normally take 2 milk thistle and electrolyte tablet a day during the festival and mostly works but the tiredness catchs up. Any other remedies people swear by. 

Get as fit as possible cardio wise before going! 

9 hours ago, Franky said:

Yeah man it’s a very good stance to have. 

Question? Do you drink alcohol? Does it give you hangovers? Not judging just tying to bring some perspective and as I mentioned earlier, horses for courses. 

Different substances effect different people people in different ways. 

it’s pretty much that simple. The more info out there though the greater chance of people staying safe. 

Peace out and one love to all. 

Yeah I do drink and probably too much, I've been having a few spells where I don't drink for 6/7 weeks . Beer doesn't give me hangovers I just feel tired and want to sleep before I can over do it🤣

Shame they can't make the happy tabs legal because you only have to look at the warning possible side effects on the paracetamol or ibuprofen labels and you'd think twice about taking them.

Ibuprofen side effects list🤣 some of the more serious side effects have odds of 1 in 10000 and include bleeding, bruising, irregular heartbeat, stomach ulcers,liver problems,blood disorders etcetc which I think is a bit scary really 

IMG_20230521_071022.jpg

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, gazzared said:

Yeah I do drink and probably too much, I've been having a few spells where I don't drink for 6/7 weeks . Beer doesn't give me hangovers I just feel tired and want to sleep before I can over do it🤣

Shame they can't make the happy tabs legal because you only have to look at the warning possible side effects on the paracetamol or ibuprofen labels and you'd think twice about taking them.

Ibuprofen side effects list🤣 some of the more serious side effects have odds of 1 in 10000 and include bleeding, bruising, irregular heartbeat, stomach ulcers,liver problems,blood disorders etcetc which I think is a bit scary really 

IMG_20230521_071022.jpg

Run out of upvotes 😂

3 hours ago, Charliehmiller said:

Blackout tent, camp bed, ear plugs, SIS Hydro tabs and not too much booze works for me.

Are you are planning to do this to build higher levels of serotonin, before taking other goodies at the festival for an enhanced experience?

You should be warned that this can be severely dangerous and can result in Nerotoxicity which is potentially fatal.

It only makes safe responsible sense to do this after the festivals and aforementioned goodies. 

1 hour ago, chestwig said:

Are you are planning to do this to build higher levels of serotonin, before taking other goodies at the festival for an enhanced experience?

You should be warned that this can be severely dangerous and can result in Nerotoxicity which is potentially fatal.

It only makes safe responsible sense to do this after the festivals and aforementioned goodies. 

Well this is what the thread is about tbh. To engage and find out some facts. I certainly did in 2017 and carried on taking it during the festival. 

However, having read some comments on here and done some research I can now see that was possibly not the best idea (although it seemed to work). 

I can now say I will NOT be partaking of 5-HTP during the festival. Will stop taking the Monday before (48 hours) and then will resume when I come back. 

5HTP and I did not have a good reaction when I tried taking it.  It was recommended to me in lieu of starting an antidepressant years ago, and it made me feel absolutely bonkers.  I almost never have side effects from things, but 5HTP gave me severe headaches, nausea and dizziness on less than a week taking it.  

As for hangover cures - the shitty feeling of a hangover is largely caused by dehydration and and a need to replenish vitamins. Making sure that you replenish electrolytes and takes some vitamins will generally get you to a better place.  Magnesium (NOT magnesium oxide, thats the one that gives you diarrhea, -  magnesium glycinate is good) B complex and Zinc.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gfa said:

thought 5-htp was a placebo/useless.

so hard to know with these kinds of things theres so many fake ones on amazon etc

is it actually worth bothering with?

Increases production of serotonin. 5-HT is serotonin. You should be careful when using with serotnergic drugs because they may cause serotonin syndrome which is very serious!  Probably fine to use a day or two after you’ve binged. 

5 hours ago, Olshansky said:

5HTP and I did not have a good reaction when I tried taking it.  It was recommended to me in lieu of starting an antidepressant years ago, and it made me feel absolutely bonkers.  I almost never have side effects from things, but 5HTP gave me severe headaches, nausea and dizziness on less than a week taking it.  

As for hangover cures - the shitty feeling of a hangover is largely caused by dehydration and and a need to replenish vitamins. Making sure that you replenish electrolytes and takes some vitamins will generally get you to a better place.  Magnesium (NOT magnesium oxide, thats the one that gives you diarrhea, -  magnesium glycinate is good) B complex and Zinc.  

Did this yesterday/ today. ORS hydration before going out all day drinking yesterday, one before bed, one when waking and a high strength vit c/zinc drink. Drank a lot yesterday. No hangover! 🙂

Edited by PassingCloud

10 hours ago, chestwig said:

Well this is what the thread is about tbh. To engage and find out some facts. I certainly did in 2017 and carried on taking it during the festival. 

However, having read some comments on here and done some research I can now see that was possibly not the best idea (although it seemed to work). 

I can now say I will NOT be partaking of 5-HTP during the festival. Will stop taking the Monday before (48 hours) and then will resume when I come back. 

Edited by Franky
No idea how I posted this comment again

10 hours ago, chestwig said:

It's used to replenish the serotonin you have well and truly used up the night before... and thus not have to take twice as much drugs the following night chasing the high. 

It's effects are quite minimal and anecdotal on increasing serotonin. It's effects are subjective.