2023 Top 10

When first announced, I was somewhat underwhelmed by the line-up.  However with the last additions, and having given a quick listen to everything, I’m now worried about how many clashes I’m going to have.  An initial top 10, no doubt subject to change as I listen more and see some of these acts between now and end-August.

Allah-Las

Ezra Furman

Heartworms

High Vis

Panda Bear / Sonic Boom

Personal Trainer

Royel Otis

The Courettes

The Murder Capital

The Prize

• Like 1

Been pleasantly surprised on what I've discovered through the Spotify playlist. Ignoring the headliners:

Overmono
Personal Trainer
PVA
The Murder Capital
Joan Shelley
Deerhoof
Wunderhorse
Say She She
Lee Fields & The Expressions
They Hate Change

19 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I can tell you who Clashfinder users are most excited about as these are currently the most highlighted acts:

10= Arooj Aftab/caroline

9 The Murder Capital

7= Ezra Furman/PVA

6 Future Islands

5 King Gizzard

4 Panda Bear & Sonic Boom

3 Deerhoof

2 Wilco

1 Angel Olsen

Excellent work on the Clashfinder and thanks for that! I appreciate that at this stage it stretches from Holmes-eque deduction to utter guesswork, but still interesting to fill in to get a sense of the festival. And at this stage I discover I have >50 acts in green (=G0). Which is clearly unachievable, but it does mean I'm another in the "shaping up to be excellent" camp, even if the initial announcement could have a couple of extra familiar sub-headliner acts. I may get round to doing a top ten, but it will be a bit arbitrary with so much I like.

8 hours ago, TheMerryPig said:

Excellent work on the Clashfinder and thanks for that! I appreciate that at this stage it stretches from Holmes-eque deduction to utter guesswork, but still interesting to fill in to get a sense of the festival. And at this stage I discover I have >50 acts in green (=G0). Which is clearly unachievable, but it does mean I'm another in the "shaping up to be excellent" camp, even if the initial announcement could have a couple of extra familiar sub-headliner acts. I may get round to doing a top ten, but it will be a bit arbitrary with so much I like.

Thanks! The idea really was to see if it looked better as a schedule than as a list after all the arguments about the first announcement on here, and spread like that it looked a lot stronger and has become if anything more so over time.

53 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

I feel the Queen, her royal highness Fatoumata Diawara, isn't getting the respect she deserves on these lists.

I love her, but there's so much strength in depth on this year's line-up that unfortunately she narrowly missed out on my top 10!

The Murder Capital - Seen a few times and they never fail to exhilerate

King Gizzard - Will be immense

Panda Bear & Sonic Boom - Thought they were a bit naff on first listen. I was wrong. One of my current favourites

Heartworms - My kind of post-punk. And I have it on good authority they're even better live

TEKE:TEKE - Hope they are as fun as they appear to be

Yeule - Not my usual fare, but this really grips me

Arooj Aftab - Assuming she headlines the Garden, will be magical

Daniel Norgren - On the strength of his live album on Spotify, not the records - give it a listen

Kara Jackson - I am always a sucker for some simple singer-songwriter. As ever there are several on the lineup, but this is my favourite

Scott Lavene - makes me smile every time I listen

The second 10 is far from shoddy too: The Murlocs, Geese, Personal Trainer, Wilco, Deerhoof, Wunderhorse (one of my fav 2022 albums and only downgraded from the top 10 on account of seeing them a lot this summer!), Angel Olsen, Royal Otis, Charlotte Adigery, caroline

On 5/20/2023 at 10:19 AM, TheMerryPig said:

The Murder Capital - Seen a few times and they never fail to exhilerate

King Gizzard - Will be immense

Panda Bear & Sonic Boom - Thought they were a bit naff on first listen. I was wrong. One of my current favourites

Heartworms - My kind of post-punk. And I have it on good authority they're even better live

TEKE:TEKE - Hope they are as fun as they appear to be

Yeule - Not my usual fare, but this really grips me

Arooj Aftab - Assuming she headlines the Garden, will be magical

Daniel Norgren - On the strength of his live album on Spotify, not the records - give it a listen

Kara Jackson - I am always a sucker for some simple singer-songwriter. As ever there are several on the lineup, but this is my favourite

Scott Lavene - makes me smile every time I listen

The second 10 is far from shoddy too: The Murlocs, Geese, Personal Trainer, Wilco, Deerhoof, Wunderhorse (one of my fav 2022 albums and only downgraded from the top 10 on account of seeing them a lot this summer!), Angel Olsen, Royal Otis, Charlotte Adigery, caroline

That Daniel Norgren live album is great. I could see this being on the Garden Stage at dusk. Long woozy and sometimes bluesy tunes to bring the night on. 

Edited by paulwa

3 minutes ago, airwaves said:

Don't know yet about a top 10

But really enjoyed Lisa O'Neill on Later last night and had an afternoon of her on Spotify today

Will be lovely, Garden Stage, afternoon sunshine

Really wish she was playing, but sadly not