2023 Top 10

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome recommendations flying around. Speaks to how well the festival is curated - eh? This festival always forces me to do some research, for which I love it.

Royal Otis

King Tuff

CVC

Personal Trainer

Scott Lavene

Geese

Floodlights

Tapir! Green Man Rising 2022 | TAPIR! - YouTube (dunno why, but their song "my god" has been taken down from streaming)

Wilco

Deerhoof

Post a bit of research (more to go) now:

1. Wilco
  2. Panda Bear & Sonic Boom
  3. Geese
  4. Friendship
  5. Charlotte Adigery & Bolis Pupul
  6. Samia
  7. Personal Trainer
  8. Kara Jackson
  9. Wunderhorse
  10. Cass McCombs

I think Sunday is the weakest for me and maybe middle on the Friday, but quite a few acts I like and need to dig into further. Friendship is maybe the one on less people's lists but really loving the idea of pitching up to see them Friday lunchtime at the Garden, very observational, understated vibe with some good tunes.

Edited by jplewes
  • Upvote 1

So here's a summary of Top 10s to date with 86 different acts featuring.

Personally I'm a little surprised how low Ezra is in the list.  I wonder how many would now include Crack Cloud, who hadn't been announced when most of us posted - certainly they would now be in my Top 10.  Also noted that this year's Wet Leg (aka The Last Dinner Party) hasn't got much traction with us.

Wilco 12

Angel Olsen 9

Personal Trainer 9

King Gizzard 8

Panda Bear and Sonic Boom 8

Arooj Aftab 8

The Murder Capital 8

Wunderhorse 7

Caroline 6

Moin 6

Teke::Teke 6

Deerhoof 6

Geese 5

Say She She 5

They Hate Change 5

Lee Fields & The Expressions 5

Bar Italia 4

Yeule 4

Dungen 4

Kara Jackson 3

Horse Lords 3

Big|Brave 3

Oren Ambarchi 3

Charlotte Adigery & Bolis Pupul 3

PVA 3

Gretel Hanlyn 3

Daniel Norgren 3

Future Islands 3

Floodlights 3

Ezra Furman 3

Heartworms 2

High Vis 2

Marina Allen 2

Friendship 2

Cass McCoombs 2

Ela Minus 2

Greentea Peng 2

Overmono 2

UMO 2

Adwaith 2

The Prize 2

The Murlocs 2

Allah-Las 2

The Courettes 2

Avalanche Kaito 2

Scott Lavene 2

Samia 2

Bodega 2

Royel Otis 2

King Tuff 2

Murlocs 2

Blue Bendy 2

Joan Shelley 2

Mabe Fratti 2

Divide and Dissolve 2

Laudromat 2

Crack Cloud 1

Beige Banquet 1

Cinder Well 1

Charlotte Cornfield 1

Charley Crockett 1

Caitlin Rose 1

CVC 1

Julia Reidy  1

Ulrika Spacek 1

The Last Dinner Party 1

Tapir! 1

System Exclusive 1

Sessa 1

Sam Burton 1

Runnner 1

Nina Nastasia 1

Mary Wallopers 1

Infinity Knives  1

Kokoko! 1

Divorce 1

Jon Mckiel 1

John Francis Flynn 1

Jessica’s Brother 1

75 Dollar Bill 1

Indigo Sparke  1

HMLTD 1

H. Hawkline 1

Gena Rose Bruce 1

Fatoumata Diawara 1

Lime Garden 1

Edited by Born in the fifties

18 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

Personally I'm a little surprised how low Ezra is in the list.  I wonder how many would now include Crack Cloud, who hadn't been announced when most of us posted - certainly they would now be in my Top 10.  Also noted that this year's Wet Leg (aka The Last Dinner Party) hasn't got much traction with us.

TLDP were announced at the same time as Crack Cloud.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:27 AM, Born in the fifties said:

So here's a summary of Top 10s to date with 86 different acts featuring.

Ezra clearly suffering from the clash with King Gizzard, otherwise he'd be up there for me and I'm sure a lot of others.

23 hours ago, Yoss said:

I'm not having that.

Me neither. Not much in common apart from their both hyped female-fronted acts who could be called indie (TLDP less so than WL). Rhian from WL has been around for years, TLDP are entirely new (AFAIK), and they don't sound much alike. TLDP have had nothing like 'Chaise Longue' either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yep I would be watching Ezra if not for the KG clash.

TLDP have a large female fanbase (from live videos I've watched), which might be somewhat under represented on internet forums...

They don't even have an album out yet but there has been a lot of media buzz and they were popular with the crowd at Glastonbury. 'Nothing matters' has been an earworm for me the last few weeks.

5 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Me neither. Not much in common apart from their both hyped female-fronted acts who could be called indie (TLDP less so than WL). Rhian from WL has been around for years, TLDP are entirely new (AFAIK), and they don't sound much alike. TLDP have had nothing like 'Chaise Longue' either.

Yeah they're not particularly similar as bands.

But they're not similar in terms of industry progression either. Wet Leg's publicity / hype was driven by the strength of the first song. TLDP feels very much the other way round.

19 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Yeah they're not particularly similar as bands.

But they're not similar in terms of industry progression either. Wet Leg's publicity / hype was driven by the strength of the first song. TLDP feels very much the other way round.

It's interesting that Wet Leg* have sort of been retconned into the 'industry plant' conversation given the Chaise Longue talk was far more based around people going "have you heard this fantastic single?" than any idea there was instant hype going on, although of course that came right at the end of the period when nobody could play live so they'd not had a chance to naturally build a reputation outside Shanklin. But I know TLDP had been playing pretty solidly live for a year before then and picking up interest that way (they supported the Murder Capital on tour at the end of last year which is a weird combination), actually not in a dissimilar way to Fat Dog. And I think they will get a big crowd not just because of the uncompetitive Thursday slot but out of curiosity stemming from Nothing Matters as much as the backstory.

Strange how we've heard nothing about this year's other big hypes Picture Parlour playing since that one rescinded listing for a day there's currently not room within.

(* who, by the way, I wouldn't rule entirely out of the mystery band conversation - Simon said in that Guardian piece that he lost a potential female headliner for contractual reasons and their only summer dates are Festival Republic shows, and while I don't know how tightly those FR contracts are it's not impossible that a request was made to end their album touring cycle in the place where according to legend the band started and it got the go-ahead on condition that it not be announced until after Reading & Leeds)

• Upvote 2

Wet Leg is an interesting shout as the mystery band because (and I say this as a positive), they're a band who are very aware of their own mystique, and this very much fits their idiom. The thing putting me off is that a long slot for how long their shows usually are

27 minutes ago, robith said:

Wet Leg is an interesting shout as the mystery band because (and I say this as a positive), they're a band who are very aware of their own mystique, and this very much fits their idiom. The thing putting me off is that a long slot for how long their shows usually are

We don't actually know how long the slot is, do we? The clashfinder is just using last year's times.

5 hours ago, robith said:

They've almost entirely been doing supports this year but Setlist.fm suggests they were playing hour long sets at the end of 2022.

Saw The Last Dinner Party at Glasto and whilst they're certainly on the poppier side of the lineup and clearly have some decent industry backing.... who the f**k cares? They were excellent and I'll be watching them again at EOTR.

If you enjoy something, what does it matter if it's part of a hype machine or has money behind it? Guess what, most bands you hear only reach your ears because of industry backing and money (granted many of them much less than they deserve!) 😉