Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

15 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Yep. I get the having somewhere comfy to sleep being a bonus but definitely feel you’re missing out if you stay outside the fence. 

Last year was my tenth glasto and first time in a campervan, it's so much better

Don't miss out on anything to be honest, in all the other years the only time I'm at my tent is the end of the night to crash, up in the morning, white russian, pack bag with booze, and off we go for the day. 

The only slight annoyance is the ridiculous system they have of ticket checks for campervan instead of a wristband

1 hour ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

The only slight annoyance is the ridiculous system they have of ticket checks for campervan instead of a wristband

Like many things, the current way is the best compromise.

They can't just issue a special second camper wristband otherwise people would just take them off inside the site, get someone to take them out and get others in for free.

EPO is an option, but it would presumably require more infrastructure, so a pass out mini ticket on the way out is simple and effective.

It's the same for all gates though, not just Gate C.

Edited by paulshane
a billion typos

22 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Like many things, the current way is the best compromise.

They can't just issue a special second camper wristband otherwise people would just take them off inside the site, get someone to take them out and get others in for free.

EPO is an option, but it would presumably require more infrastructure, so a pass out mini ticket on the way out is simple and effective.

It's the same for all gates though, not just Gate C.

you had to scan your physical ticket in a machine

On 5/10/2023 at 8:57 AM, Quark said:

It's quite a niche response, but I'll see that and raise you the old-school heavy cotton rugby jerseys that we played in back in my yoot. By the gods they gained some weight in the rain. @blutarsky might still fit in the bracket of remembering those things.

Just about. My colts days were spent in cotton. My first year of senior rugby 2006 we had moved onto synthetic materials but still enormous and baggy. 

9 minutes ago, SGS said:

So many unpopular opinins but here's today's one .

1. Site map is released and OMG the path we always used camp next to looks like its has moved 2 yards to the right of where it was previously - where am I going to camp now? I have camped there sincle like forever - my whole experience is ruined !

TBF I think there are bigger reactions to movement of crew camping fields than paths - paths are just one of the most noticeable changes on the map - they're not the thing that's upsetting people.  If there was suddenly any crew camping anywhere near Park area I think you'd have something to say about it?

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

TBF I think there are bigger reactions to movement of crew camping fields than paths - paths are just one of the most noticeable changes on the map - they're not the thing that's upsetting people.  If there was suddenly any crew camping anywhere near Park area I think you'd have something to say about it?

Yea, some folks really aren’t happy.

Ours hasn't changed though. Thankfully Dragon Field remains the same.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yea, some folks really aren’t happy.

Ours hasn't changed though. Thankfully Dragon Field remains the same.

There must be some people who used to camp in Dragon when it was public that miss it - but I love that it still feels like it's part of the festival, it's not quite full off-bounds even if we can't camp there.  Other areas, e.g. around Park, become staff camping and it becomes a closed off enclave.  Festival has grown and they need to chop and change how they use different bits but always going to upset some people - if you're crew you don't want to be lumped from one place to the next each year and if you're a punter with a favourite spot you don't want it to suddenly become out of bounds.  And paths.

30 minutes ago, SGS said:

1. Site map is released and OMG the path we always used camp next to looks like its has moved 2 yards to the right of where it was previously - where am I going to camp now? I have camped there sincle like forever - my whole experience is ruined !

I think it’s more when the field is lost to yet more staff/crew camping rather than a path being moved two yards.

On 5/11/2023 at 11:00 AM, Gnomicide said:

Not aimed at anyone in particular on here, but...

To the people who work the festival, thanks.

But you've already told us it's better before the punters arrive, that the best bars are the staff bars, that you can use your wristband to beat some queues, that you don't need to worry about ticket day, that you can park reasonably near to your tent, that everything punters do is a bit annoying and it would be better if they weren't there etc. etc. etc. 

Let us just enjoy the festival in the knowledge that we're not having as good a time as you, despite you missing a load because you're working (unless you are one of the very lucky ones who finish all their jobs before Wednesday).

Thanks again.

It's really not better before the punters arrive. I arrived on the Sunday lunchtime last year and by Tuesday morning I was bored as fuck. It's a very different experience, and enjoyable to see the place really come to life (the transformation particularly in the trading areas is incredible) but I was delighted to see the punters walk through the gates and the party really beginning, come 8am on Wednesday. And the closer car parking space was scant consolation to the FOMO, looking out across the site at midnight on the Friday, lazers and explosions filling the skyline, the roar of the various crowds erupting around the valley, sub-bass booming from the south east corner, in the knowledge that I was only four hours into a twelve hour shift...

Working is not better, it's just different.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

There must be some people who used to camp in Dragon when it was public that miss it - but I love that it still feels like it's part of the festival, it's not quite full off-bounds even if we can't camp there.  Other areas, e.g. around Park, become staff camping and it becomes a closed off enclave.  Festival has grown and they need to chop and change how they use different bits but always going to upset some people - if you're crew you don't want to be lumped from one place to the next each year and if you're a punter with a favourite spot you don't want it to suddenly become out of bounds.  And paths.

I still very occasionally get punters headed that way, hoping to camp 

6 minutes ago, p.pete said:

There must be some people who used to camp in Dragon when it was public that miss it

I used to camp there, and kind of miss the location, but in hindsight even if it was open to the public I'd have long since moved on.

I used to time myself to arrive at the Bus Station or Car Park entrance at approx 7:30am and was still usually able to be through the gate and in the field before 9am, and find a spot. But the post 2009 trend of getting there at stupid times and the nutjobs who queue overnight would have totally wrecked that.

If it was still public camping, anyone wanting to go there would need to be one of the first in the queue outside a Gate and wait out 12 odd hours. Personally I just couldn't deal with that anymore, the location isn't even close to worth it. Especially given the incline in the field that makes it not especially comfortable to start with.

26 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Working is not better, it's just different.

Anyone actually thinking that it's better to work than have a ticket is just having to do some serious coping, I would never choose to work unless I missed out a ticket and the line up was some sort of all stars aligned. 

It comes across at super salty. 

Edited by Xeph1995

1 minute ago, Xeph1995 said:

Anyone actually thinking that it's better to work than have a ticket is just having to do some serious coping, I would never choose to work unless I missed out a ticket and the line up was some sort of all stars aligned. 

It comes across at super salty. 

Except maybe when your work/shifts are done before it all happens. We are finished by midnight on Wednesday 

14 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Except maybe when your work/shifts are done before it all happens. We are finished by midnight on Wednesday 

Okay but that's just different not better, some people don't want to work setting stuff up before it kicks off. 

It comes across as very no true Glastonbury goer fallacy. 

I was agreeing with the point that neither is better it's just different. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

I used to camp there, and kind of miss the location, but in hindsight even if it was open to the public I'd have long since moved on.

I used to time myself to arrive at the Bus Station or Car Park entrance at approx 7:30am and was still usually able to be through the gate and in the field before 9am, and find a spot. But the post 2009 trend of getting there at stupid times and the nutjobs who queue overnight would have totally wrecked that.

If it was still public camping, anyone wanting to go there would need to be one of the first in the queue outside a Gate and wait out 12 odd hours. Personally I just couldn't deal with that anymore, the location isn't even close to worth it. Especially given the incline in the field that makes it not especially comfortable to start with.

I thought i'd camped in Dragon Field in 1998 but looking at the below map and delving into my very hazy memory it looks more like we were in the field marked Williams - although i'm not sure it went back as far as it does now. Were these 2 fields always defined with 2 different names? It was very muddy that year, there was a river of mud flowing down the hill in the filed and enveloping tents on its way.

halfway_done.png

On 5/10/2023 at 2:34 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

The disc tokens ? Had a few of them … how did you manage to get 30 though ? 

They asked for pics here of the Brothers Bar and liked mine best - was used in promos in Time Out and elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, Guest said:

I camped for >10 years where the Tipi Field is these days at the top of Pennard. Was so quiet up there before, just cheering from sacred space and drums was all you heard. Before they moved the Tipi Field in they moved the Park in. Was initially pissed off but the Park has proven to be a really excellent addition (the entire area not just the stage). 

I did stay in the old Tipi Field in 2000 when it was next to Avalon. That was much better for it among the trees I thought had a great vibe. But way smaller obv.