Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Here's one that's going to go down like a lead balloon

Record number of down votes incoming?

Do what Shambala have done, make the festival vegetarian, i.e. no traders are allowed to sell meat or fish. Punters still allowed to bring their own.

These threads for your rogue ideas are what gets your blood pumping each day aren't they? 

On 5/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, kalifire said:

1. People who're off their heads are annoying and get in the way

2. The festival is better now than it used to be

3. Emily is doing a brilliant job (I know that triggers certain people)

I agree with all of these.

On 5/4/2023 at 3:34 PM, Twiggy553 said:

I think carhenge sounds fun (if maybe a bit novelty) but I hate this sort of thing:

At the centre of the henges, from Thursday 22 June, these “African Mutoids” from Kinshasa, dressed in scrap, fusing music, art, dance and fashion will perform and play their afrofuturist sound with percussion instruments made of trash from flip flops to plastic tubings.”

Reminds me of that band that were always on Blue Peter bashing old bins. Stomp or something?

Now that's EXACTLY the sort of thing I go to Glastonbury for. Can't beat a weird bit of performance art.

On 5/18/2023 at 5:03 AM, Memory Man said:

I find a day bag essential but its a standard size backpack full of booze, with a jumper if it might be chilly and a rain coat if it might rain.

as the booze goes down, the backpack size reduces quite a bit! If i go back to the tent before going out late then i’ll ditch the day bag. I hate carrying bags at the best of times but you better believe 5 tinnies are going in there at 11am. Oh, and crisps / peanuts / apples for snackies!

Those cloth Guardian bags that used to get dished out are perfect because they are only really ever the size of the stuff that's in them. No good for really heavy weight, but I have had way more use out of them than they cost!

1 minute ago, ICGenie said:

I am getting to the point where I believe that if you need to get drunk to enjoy something, you probably don't really enjoy it at all.

Several years ago I got to the point where I realized that alcohol is just one of the worst drugs out there. Haven't touched it since.

Don't believe the hype folks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sbco100 said:

Tell us more about these 10% cans

Get yourself in the craft and crap beer thread, a few recommendations in there! Failing that, any decent local beer shop would be able to suggest a few from their stock - I’m loath to recommend anyone go to Tesco but their craft offerings aren’t at all bad these days as well. They’ll have a couple of things nearing 10%, and dark 

12 minutes ago, ICGenie said:

I am getting to the point where I believe that if you need to get drunk to enjoy something, you probably don't really enjoy it at all.

Not at that point yet though 😉 might have to define wasted I guess. Do you mean unable to stand or wobbly and smiley wasted

Edited by fred quimby

4 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Do what Shambala have done, make the festival vegetarian, i.e. no traders are allowed to sell meat or fish. Punters still allowed to bring their own.

I am vegetarian but I think this is a terrible idea

On 5/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, kalifire said:

1. People who're off their heads are annoying and get in the way

2. The festival is better now than it used to be

3. Emily is doing a brilliant job (I know that triggers certain people)

I agree with all of these 

My unpopular thing is people that have unpopular opinions shouldn’t be allowed a ticket. It’s the greatest festival on earth and is meant to be inclusive so one persons unpopular opinion is another persons highlight. We’re a week out! Positivity rules

31 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Several years ago I got to the point where I realized that alcohol is just one of the worst drugs out there. Haven't touched it since.

I realy enjoy a few beers, but the price for it the following day is a lot more severe than others.

4 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Environmentally we know it's the right thing to do and the environment is a big part of the festivals ethos so yes, it makes sense to me.

Coming from a meat eater I'd welcome it.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

my unpopular opinion is the unpopular opinion thread is far too high ..... Id much prefer to be looking at popular opinions and positivity with 8 days to go before the festival 🙂 

he says while bumping the thread 

Correct, there’s no such thing as unpopular, just things that don’t appeal to you but do appeal to others. The beauty of Glastonbury, there’s always something, many things that appeal to your particular tastes. 

19 minutes ago, MrHew said:

Environmentally we know it's the right thing to do and the environment is a big part of the festivals ethos so yes, it makes sense to me.

I would too.

21 minutes ago, MrHew said:

This is exactly why Shambala did it.

They let their regular punters and crew vote on it before implementing it.

57 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Currently helping a friend through alcohol addiction and it's made me rethink my own consumption (which has never been high). I now drink for taste rather than effect.

So going vegetarian only. What would happen to half the food stalls? There would be no demand for 2 of everything (or whatever). Would this stretch to alcohol? (Admittedly most of it is anyway). Went to hyde park years ago when it was the who etc and there were no alcohol sales. It was not what i would choose. Choice and all that. And if most people only ate vegetarian then the market would right itself rather than being imposed.

Also other drugs that arent alcohol also have an environmental  and human cost.

I’d be quite up for a meat free festival, it’s be fine. Loads of excellent veggie and vegan food there, let people try some different stuff, and have a window into a more sustainable lifestyle. 

and IMAGINE how awesome the Burger King will be on the drive home! 🤣